THE BUNDU GEAR BUILD - LEXUS GX470

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
We're starting the build of the replacement Bundu Mobile! Many of you know we lost the 1998 LC 100 to a blizzard accident just before Christmas.
I decided to stick to toyota products, but make a change from the Land Cruiser. Enough equipment was damaged or replaced by insurance that we did not have a need to stick to a LC. So, after much thought, consideration and test drives, i settled on a Lexus GX470.

After a lot of searching, I finally found the right car. I found a 2003 Lexus GX470 with 118k miles in California. After buying it sigh unseen, I was extremely relieved when it was delivered, and proved to be beautiful. The bodywork is superb with no dents or nicks or blemishes. There is only 1 scratch up on the rear corner.
The interior is equally beautiful, in a charcoal grey and wood finish. The only sign of wear is the drivers seat with the usual butt-slide leather wearing. Overall, I could not be happier.

So, the build has started!

First order of business is to plan everything that is going on the vehicle. In contrast to the LC, I am planning a far more mild build. No M/T tires, no big lift, no heavy bulky bumpers etc. The idea behind this build is for it to be the "everyman's" car. It's not a car that will appeal only to serious off-roaders; it's a car that will appeal to the weekend wariior without being intimidating. Yet, it will still appeal to the off-roaders who recognize the capability of the Toyota 120 platform.

So, here are the plans so far; subject to change:
Tires - A/T tires in a 265/70 R17. We'll probably settle on GoodYear DuraTrac or Nitto Terra Grapplers

Wheels - I'll run the OE wheels, but will powdercoat or paint them.

Suspension - I'm going to use a suspension kit from Ironman, with assistance from Eli at Camel 4x4. We'll replace springs and shocks in the front, and the shocks in the rear. I'll also put a spacer in the rear airbags to give an overall lift of around 2 inches.

Skid plates - with a smaller lift and tires than we're used to on here, I'm putting a priority on armor so that I don't have to be too concerned about dragging the belly over stuff. We'll be getting full skid plates from Asfir4x4. Their plates are all 1/4 inch aluminium, and besides looking really good, it also covers all the important areas.

Bumper - We're going to be doing some experimenting and putting on an Asfir4x4 front bumper. They're lightweight, but vastly increase ground clearance, and hold a winch while still offering more protection than the stock bumper. It is designed for the Land Cruiser Prado, but with some trimming, it should fit great, and vastly improve the looks of the vehicle.

Winch - I will be putting in a 9500lb winch from Ironman. We had one on the LC and it was great, so we'll do it again. We'll upgrade to synthetic line and Hawse fairlead, which will lighten the load and flatten the profile on the bumper as well.

Dual battery - we have a TJM spare battery tray on order, and that will hold the DieHard Platinum battery. Then I'll use an IBS split charge battery management system.

Roof Rack - have yet to decide on the rack but we'll use a full length rack to mount our Howling Moon RTT and awning on. Front Runner will probably get the nod because there is not much else available for the GX yet.

Lights - I'll be mounting LED's from BajaDesigns on the vehicle. We'll go with fog lights in the bumper, and then a pencil/flood combo sitting low profile on the top of the bumper. I'll then add flood lights to the rear for setting up camp, and for backing up with trailers.

Rear-mounted spare - I'd like to get the spare out from under the vehicle, mostly because I prefer the looks. I'm trying to replicate the look of the Prado as it is sold in the rest of the world.

So to start, here are a few pics of what we're working with:
IMG_0628.jpg IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

Airmonger

Adventurer
Sorry to hear about the 100 getting wrecked, but it looks like you have found a suitable replacement. Have fun with the build.

clcoyle

Explorer
Rou-

Congratulations on the new GX470, I Iike your approach to the "everymans" build and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Enjoy the new ride,

Chris

Caoboy

Adventurer
Subbing this one. I keep getting at my cousin to build theirs. They (the wife really) refuses. I keep telling her it'll protect her better in it ;)

I love driving that rig though...it gets up and goes, looks good, the stock lights are great, those high beams are like flood lights, I love how they used a projector for that.

More aftermarket would be better, but like the first gen Tundra, there is almost nothing...

OndrejT100

very cool, 4 wheeling in comfort for the whole family.

More aftermarket would be better, but like the first gen Tundra, there is almost nothing...

I feel your pain. Finding aftermarket parts for my original Tundra/T100 is next to impossible. IMO, just an opportunity to get creative and make your own parts.:)

zidaro

Explorer
Nice RIDE!!
cant wait to see what you do with it.
We were in the market for a GX, but the 5th gen runner was too tempting.

TexGX

Explorer
Rou,

Glad to see you started a Tread. Check out my build tread. I am really liking the 255/75/17's. Can't wait to see the bumper and skids installed.

I also tried the TJM duel battery tray and could not get it to work with the V8 in the GX verses the V6 in the Prado. You may have better luck, but there are some lines in the way. That was the reason I went with the National Luna Battery Pack.

TexGX

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Rou,

Glad to see you started a Tread. Check out my build tread. I am really liking the 255/75/17's. Can't wait to see the bumper and skids installed.

I also tried the TJM duel battery tray and could not get it to work with the V8 in the GX verses the V6 in the Prado. You may have better luck, but there are some lines in the way. That was the reason I went with the National Luna Battery Pack.

TexGX
Good heads up on the battery tray - i'll see this weekend how it fits, but after a cursory glance, it did look like we'll need to move some stuff.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Skid plates installed

Thanks to the good folks at Asfir 4x4 in Scottsdale AZ, i got my skid plates on. They are 1/4 in aluminum and made specifically for the Prado LWB. Mostly the fit is perfect. The front plate, which is for oil pan, radiator and front diff, is a perfect fit. The second plate, which is an intentional overlap on the first (shares 2 bolts), protects the exhaust bend, and the transfer case. The rear bolts up to a bar which bolts between the frame rails. The only part of the 3 skid plates that is not a perfect match, is the middle row of bolts on the middle skid. The frame cross member on the GX is about 3 inches further rear than the Prado. This is probably due to the V8 and the bigger transmission.

so here are the pictures:

Front skidplate from the front.
IMG_0603.jpg

In this photo you can see the skid plates running all the way back to the fuel tank. This is some underbody bling!
IMG_0604.jpg

Factory protection removed from the gas tank. The new Asfir skid plate bolts on with the visible brackets which are supplied.
IMG_0607.jpg

You can see the skid for the gas tank from the side. All the plates are perfectly in line with each other at exactly the same height. Though it seems that one loses about 2" of ground clearance, it actually all lines up with the lowest point of the vehicle; the gas tank.
IMG_0609.jpg

Gas tank skid from the bottom. The finish is superb and the fit is excellent.
IMG_0611.jpg

Overall, it was a 2 hr install; mostly because we were yacking, taking phone calls, and shooting the breeze. And there is a definite order to doing this which makes it way easier. It should be about an hour and a bit installation time in total.
I'm extremely impressed with these, and even though I'm keen to test them out, I don't actually want to scratch and dent them! They're just too pretty!

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Nice RIDE!!
cant wait to see what you do with it.
We were in the market for a GX, but the 5th gen runner was too tempting.

Budget kept me away from 5th gen 4R. That, and the fact that I really like this V8 as a regular trailer tower.

TexGX

Explorer
Skids look great!! I need to stop by and have them check if they will work with KDSS. They maybe my next step.

TexGX

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Looks good Dan. I've been following your build. Hey, nice color!
I may just take you up on the offer. Thanks so much.

oliverlove

Adventurer
Great looking build so far! I am a bit jealous of your interior. My Tacoma could use some walnut accents to class things up a bit!! :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier