The case for highly customized older domestics for world travel

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Btw, I dig what you did with your ambulance. I think I saw you sold it for a bigger chassis? Any updates?

Cheers!

Holy-moly, the "bigger chassis" (U1300L Ex-BW Amby) has been an exercise in patience. BIG TIME.. It is finally en route to Montreal for an engine overhaul, 6 mo's after I put the deposit down.

Luckily work has kept me uber busy or I would have gone ballistic long ago..

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
It is not about being able to eliminate problems, it is about being able to predict them. Case in point:

-A chap takes a detuned Baja racer across the world on the theory that detuned Baja suspension is the best set up for overlanding.

-A second chap takes the suspension and axles from a deuce on the theory that stock military chassis designed to move 20,000# in true, military grade off road conditions as well as pavement is the best setup for overlanding

Now, they both could fail, but what suspension are you going to bet your last dollar on not failing while overlanding, due to the rigors of overlanding?
More importantly, which suspension are you going to bet your last dollar on failing first?

You are still missing my point.

You cannot predict when a seal will fail.

Utilizing overbuilt parts in a light-duty scenario is great for prolonging parts, but it does NOTHING in regards to failures like I speak of.

It is not about eliminating risks, it is about actively managing and reducing the chance of their occurrence.

What do you mean it isnt about eliminating risks??? Of course it is. If it wasnt about eliminating risks, then everyone would be running an automatic trans with the factory oil cooler. Not searching high and low for the rig they want with a manual trans.

And you just said you want to predict them :coffee:

Of course you want to reduce the chance of problems. But as I said, even the most over-built rig on the planet will suffer from the same problems an under-built rig will.

Heavy duty chassis, durable suspension, heavy duty axles, manual trans, proven power-plant, that's all great. But it does little in terms of actual reliability in a overland vehicle, when the potential failures you will be come across are the same that you will find on a daily driven commuter car.

Cat Jockey

Observer
Unless you're planning on building some kind of tubular rollcage-type chassis (which would be really sweet), I can't think of many/any reasons why you wouldn't just use the stock deuce frame. ...

That all makes total sense for ease and speed. It is also because of the simplicity of the frame that it is easy and cheap (relative to the cost of rebuilt axles, rebuilt diesel engines, etc.) that what the heck. I want to alter the wheel base, so if I slide the rear bogie forwards 18", although easy to do, it changes where the suspension lines up in relation to crossmembers, etc.

Mostly because it is a such an easy thing to reproduce and I am going to have to chop part of it off any way as well as alter mounting points, add, strip certain things ... might as pick up some channel and keep certain things in porportion after shortening.

In for a dime, in for a dollar I guess .... but yea, your way is definitely easier, cheaper and would work just fine too. Look forward to seeing your rear steer set -up ...

jesusgatos

Explorer
In that case you're not looking for a truck to start with, you just need axles, driveshafts, transfer-case, and maybe a few other choice bits.

Will be a while before I get around to replacing the rear axles with steering units. Gotta whole lot of other things to do first. That's really just a 'wouldn't it be cool' kind of thing I'm planning on doing sometime down the road.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Checked out your blog LowTech. I really like the color you guys chose for the interior:
View attachment 54365

It's a personal thing, so I am not criticizing other's choices, but for me the traditional white interior is not appealing. White rooms feel cold and sterile to me, like a hospital. I have been wondering on interior color and really like your selection.

Thanks, all that credit goes to my lady. She's the one that works w/ colors and makes beautiful jewelery. You picked a good shot of the fact that she used 4 dif colors to do the inside. She'd be happy to point that out if you were in our camp :ylsmoke: I'm the "wood" person, I would just oil everything :sombrero:

Those shades sure make it feel warm & comfy.

LukeH

Adventurer
Well I’m still enjoying this great thread. Interesting decisions, great to get real world experience of certain platforms.
I agree that the Deuce can supply some very tough running gear, and that considering how little you will be loading the axles, the danger of a broken axle or even half shaft is minimal (we’re after risk mitigation here after all).
As has been mentioned, seals and bearings can go for no apparent reason, but they are not only relatively easy to change but also not that heavy to keep in a sealed spares box somewhere in one of the storage compartments.
Crown wheel and pinion? IMHO no danger there even with a tyre upgrade to 13r20, and even if the worst happens, you have three axles, you only need one to limp to somewhere DHL delivers to.
As you won’t be charging at steps like a weekend warrior, it might be worth looking into the options for locking up the diffs, and in between them too. Somewhere on the tube there’s a short video showing a Deuce having trouble on a straight up hump (not a step) the moment it lifts the last axle. I dedeuce (sorry) that there is a diff between the axles; please confirm.
99% of the time you probably won’t need lockable diffs, and the tiny rest you could crack out the winch, ground anchor, airbag jack and all the other paraphernalia that an adventurer will have on board. So my perceived need for lockers of some sort must be emotionally based; but I’d still want them. What are the options available for this running gear?
What about free-wheeling hubs on two of the axles and selectable drives in the transfer case(s)? Running 6x2 has to use less fuel, and saves wear; just a thought.
Not knocking the White multifuel engine, which has the advantage of not being picky about its diet, we’ve moved on a bit since then. Your engine choice is of course personal, a nice mechanically injected thumper with a Bosch injector pump will see you all the way round the world. You could even look into sourcing a Mercedes unit for that tiny little bit of “global serviceability”.
Now what’s this story of automatics being less reliable? In little cars perhaps; but the driver comfort of a huge Allison extreme duty unit is something to consider. They’re very popular among desert drivers, as heavy manuals are slow to change. In the sand you sometimes don’t have time to change before the truck sinks, so you hear them pressing on in the same gear with the engine either close to stalling or screaming its cylinder heads off. Personal choice, but if you do a cab swap, the driver position is highly likely to change. Re-routing (or creating) a manual gear linkage is a lot harder than the single pushrod or cable for an auto.
OK it is less field serviceable, but Allison are very proud of their reliability figures….

Why don’t you look into mounting the cab off your Ford E onto a Deuce frame.
I really want to see your E cab shoe-horned over some cool 13r20 tyres up front; that’s gonna look the business. AND you gain some useable frame length; especially over a great big F700.
There might be a little engine access problem though; Unimog have a little hood for all the daily maintenance chores, and then the cab tips in the workshop for proper servicing. Whatever you choose, I reckon the military look has to go, and not just hidden under a paint job. Wasn’t it Mah Deuce that got confiscated?
If I were you, I’d see what the cab mounting ends up looking like before committing to a frame cut. Contrary to car drivers beliefs, the length isn’t as much of a handicap as initially perceived, you learn to live with it very rapidly, and length gives stability.
The nice thing about starting with a platform that already works is that you don’t have to implement all your ideas at once. This is not a personal attack, but on your first built you will always have something that you realise later you could have done differently, better. If you build from scratch then you kind of end up with all your ideas in the pot at the same time, and that makes a lot more work. The old testing adage comes to mind: “change one parameter at a time, then you know what worked”
Looking forward to more of this.
Luke

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Well I’m still enjoying this great thread. Interesting decisions, great to get real world experience of certain platforms. . .

I dedeuce (sorry) that there is a diff between the axles; please confirm.
. . . What are the options available for this running gear?
What about free-wheeling hubs on two of the axles and selectable drives in the transfer case(s)? Running 6x2 has to use less fuel, and saves wear; just a thought.
Luke

Some people (w/ more money & need than me) are putting lockers in the Rockwell axles. And I've heard that Norway has lockers in the Mil deuces there.
The rear axles are direct connected together w/ a drive shaft.
It is poss to put locking hubs on the front, & one side of the middle axle, to give you 2x on the pavement. This is something I'll be very happy to do . . . would any like to sponsor that project? :sombrero:

jesusgatos

Explorer
I came up with this idea that would allow me to drive with one wheel/tire or axle up off the ground. Not the first to think of doing something like this, it's just that usually it's an improvised fix, something like a chain wrapped around the axle and frame in the field. But the way I'm planning on doing it, would just be a matter of looping the chain/cable. Also makes lifting any one of the rear wheels/tires to change a flat a lot easier.

There are several traction-aids available for 2.5-ton Rockwell axles, ranging from mechanical lockers (Detroit & OEM) to air-lockers (ARB & overseas variations) to spools (OEM & welded spider-gears). Locking hubs are also available, and would go a long ways towards helping fuel economy and eliminating the inherent downsides associated with operating a vehicle with mechanical lockers and/or spools on-road.

The differentials are connected by driveshafts. No disconnects or differentials between them. There are two different transfer-cases available, a sprag-operated unit and an air-shifted unit. Plenty of information available about both of them on steelsoldiers.com. But the short answer is that the air-shift transfer-case it preferable.

EDIT: should clarify that when I reference OEM I'm talking about these guys

LukeH

Adventurer
I came up with
EDIT: should clarify that when I reference OEM I'm talking about these guys

WOW!
That's good s41t!
Everything one could ever need to replace stuff that's already unlikely to break with even tougher stuff.

Erm, I'm sure it's my ignorance: the deuce does have hub brakes doesn't it?
The only braking product I saw is a transmission brake.
Replacing drums with disks is also a nice safety and comfor improvement, but if it never had them in the first place then less to go wrong.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Yeah, Ouverson makes gnarly rockwell parts. Think these might be the hot ticket as far as ultimate axleshafts go though. Lifetime warranty. No exceptions/exclusions.

These axles use drum brakes, and they are quite adequate. Only real problem is that on most of the deuces it's a single-circuit system. The later deuces (87+ were converted to dual-circuit brakes). It's an air-assist system. Not air over hydraulic like most OTR trucks, but air-boosted hydraulic brakes. Lose air-pressure you still have manual brakes. Going to be replacing the air-assist with Hydra-Max on mah deuce. Not much to be gained by switching to disc brakes as far as I can tell, at least in terms of ultimate braking power/performance. There are some other inherent advantages to discs though, but probably not something I'll mess with.

swish

the particular framing which you are talking about is easily available here..this would help you in searching your requirements

south-pak.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94