The Dirtlab lives on... as Falkor!

I am the lucky individual that purchased @AuntieM's F-550 based Dirtlab: Build Thread

I cannot thank @AuntieM enough for this dream rig. I live full-time in it and spend most nights on BLM in the Rocky Mountains west of Denver, CO. Here's some of what I've been waking up to lately before work:

BLM1.2.jpeg
BLM2.1.jpeg

I am ready to make some upgrades to Falkor and would love anyone's input.

Existing Upgrades:
  • BPD EGR
  • BPD Oil Cooler
  • Edge Insight CTS
  • Monroe HD Shocks
Proposed upgrades:
  • Exhaust: MBRP 4" Cab & Chassis Turbo Back Single Side Exit T409
  • Exhaust Brake: Pacbrake InLineMount 4'' PRXB
  • Head Bolt Conversion: ARP Head Studs
  • Turbo: KC Stage 1.5 Drop-in
  • Tuning: SCT X4 w/ Edge Insight CTS2 or just SCT LivewireTS?
  • Suspension:
    • Front: King 2.5 Coilover Remote Reservoir, compression adjusters, custom valving w/2.5" lift (lift necessary for wheels to fit)
    • Rear: King 2.5 OEM shocks, compression adjusters, custom shock mounts to angle rear instead of front, Deaver leaf springs w/ 2.5-3" lift
    • King Steering Stabilizer
  • DRW to SRW conversion: 1st Attack Engineering direct bolt-on conversion wheels (requires trimming both front and rear wheel wells)
  • Tires: Continental MPT81 335/80R20
  • Leveling: Quadra Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System

If anyone knows of a reputable shop in Colorado that could do all the work, it would be a lot easier than having to bring it to multiple locations.

After more research and advice from the powerstroke.org forums, I've added the following to the upgrades list:

Kill Devil Diesel Heads
BPD Water Pump and Fan Clutch
BPD FICM w/ Atlas 40 tune from FICMRepair.com
S&B Cold Air Intake
ATS Coolant Recirculation Kit
Odawg S3R Ported Intake Manifold
Odawg Coolant reroute w/PSP Race Tank
Inner Double Beadlocks for tires

Any final suggestions before I start ordering parts?

Thanks!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Good battery health is critical to keeping the FICM healthy. Don’t skimp on the charging system and battery bank. Low voltage kills FICM’s.

Quick update:

I made some changes to parts again then took the mechanical plunge and decided to install the ones I thought I could do on my own. I finished the following and LOVE the results so far:

BPD Water Pump & Fan Clutch
No Limit Hot/Cold Intercooler Pipes
No Limit Cold Air Intake
DC Power 270XP Alternator w/ wiring kit from FICMrepair.com (Thank you @bknudtsen for the charging upgrade suggestion)
PSP Degas Tank
IPR High-Flow Coolant Filter

Air intake required a cover for the MAF port as the 2005 model did not use one. I have the IAT probe temporarily zip tied next to the aFE filter but will eventually bore a hole in the MAF cover for it (I didn't have the right size bit or grommet during installation).

MPG went from 9-10 to 11-13 as reported by CTS average, tested from 3000ft-10,000ft altitude over 1500 miles. Stock turbo spools faster at lower RPM. The rest of the parts are scheduled to be installed the week of 12/10 now that I finally found a shop that could fit the rig.

I am holding off on the suspension/SRW conversion for now as I decided to quit my job and spend that money going on a 6-month adventure through the Western USA and Canada. I may do just the coilover conversion and rear shocks without any lift or Deaver leaf springs; has anyone here done a Super Duty King coilover conversion already that can speak to the results?

I'm hoping the shop doing the work in a few weeks will let me document the progress in pictures/video so I can share with you - I'll keep you posted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier