The DiscoDavis Discovery 1 Mayhem Thread

David Harris

Expedition Leader
The door lock issue is the Alarm Spider

Spray chain oil as far up the cable as possible, then use and air line to force it the rest of the way - do this from the inside catch out...

I've understood that the North American D1 did not have a spider.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Sadly only the 2 tonne model! Whenever I find another 5 tonne and find some plate to reinforce the bumper it will be camel spec. And I wanted to keep with the 205 85's but nobody makes a decent tire that's reasonably available... I hear duratracs are in 215 85 so will try those... ;)

I had 215's on a RRC and they were perfect. Try them.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
That cars had some serious work to it.

Now get the underside treated to preserve it.
I do love a clean unmolested D1. Such a simple design to it.

For this car, personally the “less of more” approach is how I would go.

Alan,

Lucky for Elizabeth here where we live basically nothing rusts. Frame is near perfect, still has what I presume is a still intact dealer rust proofing coating of some sort on a few components, but otherwise a car wash here and there is all we use. As to less is more, my thoughts exactly. I have zero plans for the car other than a few electrical items and interior cleanup. That said if somehow I come across a discovery roll cage I would like to add that in. A few additional touches will be a surprise for later...

I've understood that the North American D1 did not have a spider.

Jury is still out on mine, the radio was missing when I got the car and a lot of weird splicing involved inside, hasn't had issues since last spring so we will see.

I had 215's on a RRC and they were perfect. Try them.

Thanks for the recommendation! I will report back when the time comes :)

Frobisher

It sounds like our 95s are long lost family. Mine came with an aftermarket radio with some unusual splicing in the back as well. After 4 years, I still can't get it to quit buzzing with the headlights on!

As for the security system, there's no spider. You can disable the very primitive security system by jumping two ports in an ECU under the passenger side of the dash. I can't currently find the link, but it was on discoweb. I had problems with it when my doorlocks went haywire, so I disconnected them and bypassed the regular starting system with a button and direct connect to starter. Now, it's turn on the key, push the button, and go. I fixed it awhile back to work right, but my family digs the push button so it stayed that way.

If you're still looking for tires, I've run 215s on mine for 4 years. The latest set are Hercules Terra Trac AT II (https://www.herculestire.com), and they're proving to be great in snow and ordinary mud. Great value and great warranty. So far, so good!

I love reading what all you're doing - especially with that Camel truck. It's great to see good runners fixed and set to going again.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
It sounds like our 95s are long lost family. Mine came with an aftermarket radio with some unusual splicing in the back as well. After 4 years, I still can't get it to quit buzzing with the headlights on!

As for the security system, there's no spider. You can disable the very primitive security system by jumping two ports in an ECU under the passenger side of the dash. I can't currently find the link, but it was on discoweb. I had problems with it when my doorlocks went haywire, so I disconnected them and bypassed the regular starting system with a button and direct connect to starter. Now, it's turn on the key, push the button, and go. I fixed it awhile back to work right, but my family digs the push button so it stayed that way.

If you're still looking for tires, I've run 215s on mine for 4 years. The latest set are Hercules Terra Trac AT II (https://www.herculestire.com), and they're proving to be great in snow and ordinary mud. Great value and great warranty. So far, so good!

I love reading what all you're doing - especially with that Camel truck. It's great to see good runners fixed and set to going again.

Can you PM me any info on your push button start if you remember details? At least you've got a radio! I was just planning to blank off the slot in the dash with a volt gauge and a few switches for lights :)

Considering what the 205's do now I'm sure the 215's will be great. As she's really a road going car not too perturbed with tread, for the spare now nobody had her current size so I had to do a random sort of tire they had lying around.

Thanks for the kind words, obviously the big sister gets all the attention but the disco has some minor fun items in the pipeline.

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Details

Had these stashed away for a few months waiting for the car to be serviced

27984742369_ccb90d2983_b.jpg

38864420565_4eecd673e4_b.jpg

39731525892_245e66dddb_b.jpg

Reference:

bdddd7ca45105692107578c6beacce7a.jpg

Maintenance notes:

>Changed the oil for new 15w40, and when I say new I mean I put all the random brand spare oils that were 15w40 in there to use those up. Slight leak from pan gasket so next time will redo that.

>Has the CEL code for the stepper motor which is likely a bad base idle setting from when I was just making the car run ok after purchase. New base idle tinkering needed soon. Idles around 600 and stumbles when warm started.

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Update March 2018

Stumbling and idle issues remained, took it to Colin, he found a large vacuum leak at Cyl 7 intake, so he was kind enough to replace the gasket

(his photos below)

40247664304_4e22e594ba_b.jpg

40063046165_f55df2ff2e_b.jpg

Have been driving this car since January again, trans and clutch are nice. One of the diffs is getting sloppy enough to cause some whine and space in the driveline to make it clunk if not careful. Need to put some redline heavy shockproof in. Otherwise drives ok. Ongoing issue with the heater core that has bubbles inside, you can hear it on 2000+ RPM. Not enough air to interfere with heater or cause engine issues, but I want it out.

Connor, are the lifters solid or hydraulic in that old beast? And also, looks like they are not metal to metal from the lifter seat to the camshaft? Does the lifter have a different type of material that mates the camshaft? Just curious cuz I've never seen inside one of those old beasts and they look about a decade ahead of most other countries of manufacture technology!

Happy Maintenance!

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Eric,

Google **** says hydraulic lifters, I am not the biggest fan of the motor and haven't looked at it that much... the diesel car gets all the attention. The rover v8 is just a modified Buick 215 that the rover car company bought the rights to produce in the 60s or 70s, all 60s tech, aside from the EFI and emissions ancillaries. Old enough that diesel oil with the zinc in it is good for the motor...

If the car sticks around long enough I'll try to pull the motor and learn how to rebuild it, or at least not blow it up.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
04/27/2018

Last Friday leaving work couldn't get it started. Somehow bumped it in first with the starter and it caught in neutral and I drove home, promptly forgot about the issue. Sunday night comes, go to check the car for work the next morning and it will not start. No amount of futzing with wires will get it to go. Let the car sit a few days pretty salty about it. Thing is just begging to be sold.

Go visit Colin Tuesday, he lends a spare coil and ignition module to test, nope those don't solve it, check for spark at coil then cylinders... have spark at both hmm. He tells me about the hammer on the fuel tank trick, have someone turn the starter on, Hit the tank cradle centered with a 5lb hammer and the car catches... so it was the fuel pump. Neat trick had no idea it was that easy.

Got a pump and put that in, handy that these cars have the little access hatch, hate dropping tanks. bit of hammering and swearing later, thing starts right up, drove around some roads just fine. Live to be sold another day Elizabeth...

40840294035_dc82ef4c11_b.jpg

To do:
>bubbles in heater core
>Oil pan gasket to do, minor leak
>passenger valve cover gasket minor seep
>slop in one of the diffs or drive members
>rewire some electrics and lamps
>front seats to reupholster
>deck the loadspace and tie things down
>dog guard

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Considering a sale. Been a trooper commuting but there's play in the drive train I need to address and it just really cannot hold a candle to any new car for just going to and from work.

Folks looking for an absolute rust free ( ok there's a minor bit of surface in the engine bay around the battery ) no sunroofs 5 speed d1 that isn't modded to heck and not trail beat up, look no further. Checked today and zero manuals are for sale.

Roverchef

Adventurer
Considering a sale. Been a trooper commuting but there's play in the drive train I need to address and it just really cannot hold a candle to any new car for just going to and from work.

Folks looking for an absolute rust free ( ok there's a minor bit of surface in the engine bay around the battery ) no sunroofs 5 speed d1 that isn't modded to heck and not trail beat up, look no further. Checked today and zero manuals are for sale.
$$$?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne