180 Deg. Thermostat
3" Pro Comp Stage 2 Lift Kit
KN Cold Air Intake
3" Gibson Exhaust with Custom Exit and High Flow Cat
Optima RedTop Battery
305 BFG ATs on 16x8 Weld SuperSingles
LineX Bed Liner

Wish List:
Callen Camper.....mock up image attached :)

Attachments

• TruckShell.aspx.jpg
    TruckShell.aspx.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 185

drobb

Adventurer
Other additions to the Wish List:

A second Optima battery
solar panels
rear air bags
front and rear bumpers with additional lights
roof mounted light bar/lights

The truck is mostly used for desert runs....I need to keep the truck bed portion pretty open inside because I just drive my 400EX quad up and into the truck.

Any other suggestions and links would be great!

Thx.

drobb

Adventurer
So I thought I had it all figured out.....then I started to do some measuring.

Since my truck is my daily driver and my weekend toy hauler some issues began to come up. Which type of rear door to put on the camper. Regular shell door like a lift hatch or barn doors?

I have the short 6.5 ft bed so surfboards and kayaks hang over the tailgate currently without the camper. Barn doors would have to be left partially open and then use bungie cords to keep closed. A lift hatch could just be left up or lowered and then held in place with a bungie. Both of these would just be for short trips down to the beach from my house.

The big question is when I do desert runs and have to load the atv into the back. Barn doors vs. lift hatch and the clearance getting the atv in the truck bed.

Any thoughts would be great!!

Thanks.

Attachments

• callen03.jpg
    callen03.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 100
  • TruckShell_HalfDoor.jpg
    TruckShell_HalfDoor.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 80

drobb

Adventurer
Yes they are.... I talked to them on Friday.....and yes the website is down for now. Not sure why though.

So I thought I had it all figured out.....then I started to do some measuring.

. . . The big question is when I do desert runs and have to load the atv into the back. Barn doors vs. lift hatch and the clearance getting the atv in the truck bed.

Any thoughts would be great!!

Thanks.

Just curious. Have you considered getting a small trailer to haul the atv? If you've ruled that option out, why?

Regards
John

drobb

Adventurer
Hi John...I did have a really nice small trailer set up. No place to store the trailer any longer and storage space fees here in San Diego are INSANE! So trying to be as self contained as I can with just the truck.

drobb

Adventurer
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/

I found these guys yesterday and they will do complete custom work if needed AND it's aluminum. I thought great, but wish I could see one in person.

So I drive down to the cliffs to do a surf check....big surf this weekend :) and right there at the gas station is a guy filling up an F150 with the EXACT shell I want built.....even the same color!!!......He was very willing to answer questions and let me poke around and check fit and finish.....overall it seemed like a GREAT camper!!!!.....Going to call them Mon....Updates to follow :)

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I like the workmate with the double doors. Got me thinking if one could put a pop-top on it to give a bit more living space. Hmmm...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Callen

I was checking out the surf today also. Pretty good size along with participation(what else is new)? I had a Callen with barn doors on my '1998 F-150. A 10' longboard will fit with that setup. Hold off on their expensive and super heavy racks. They never paint them well enough and a much lighter alternative's out there. Hopefully,a used one will popup on Craigslist for you. If ordering a new one from Scott,laydown the minimum he'll accept.

Fish

Adventurer
If ordering a new one from Scott,laydown the minimum he'll accept.

And be prepared for regular "Why isn't it done yet?" visits to El Cajon.

I'm on my second Callen shell. Both of mine have had RV style doors in the middle of the back. A buddy has a combination fold up/barn door thing in his. Seems to work for him, but he's got a long bed.

I've seen a lot of surfers build what's essentially an internal surf rack with a Callen. The boards hang from the roof with the tip going up in the "attic".

Second the opinion on Callen racks. They're built just as stout as the shells, which they don't need to be for what you'll use it for. That's a lot of weight up high and a lot of expense.

yj4roks

Observer
hey! I just popped over from the link you posted in my thread. SO...did you ever get a camper on your truck? We have the Costco foamie long boards and they fit diagonal in the bed of my 6.5 shortbed dodge. With the new camper on I can put them straight in...the nose of the board goes up into the overhead with doors shut and locked.
I don't know about you...but I still really like the GEN 2 Dodge body styles...the latest ones I still haven't decided if I like them.

drobb

Adventurer
Nope...no camper and sold the Dodge. I agree with you on the Gen 2 style. I drive a Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4 now. It's all set up for the desert :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne