The Dometic CFX3 Mega Thread

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Just curious if anyone with the error 33 code has gotten this resolved without returning the fridge or taking it to a service center? I ask because I've read a couple places that this code actually has to do with the voltage coming from the 12v DC system... Something is tripping somewhere and not providing enough power for the compressor. This is on the 55im model.

We got the error code for the first time yesterday, I powered off/on the unit and it's been fine since. The plug socket is wired with 10awg to a fuse block connected to my house batteries. I have no issues with any other plugs/power. I can't remember what amp fuse I have wired to this I will have to crawl back there and see. I previously had my much older dometic 45 fridge installed and never had a single issue, we just wanted a larger fridge for the road.

Anyway I'd like to try to resolve this at the lowest level possible as we are currently living in our van full time so taking it to a service center right now is not an option. Since I had such great results with my previous dometic I just blindly bought the new model thinking quality was the same and had no idea about the recalls or issues until today when I started researching this.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Update since we just got back into cell service......timeline of fridge shenanigans this week:

Tuesday afternoon, Error 33 fault, power cycled the fridge did not happen again.

Wednesday no issues.

Thursday no issues all day until we went to bed then it was the night from hell. Error 33 fault, power cycle would work normally for about an hour then error out again. I was up all night off/on power cycling until about 2am when it finally started working normally again.

Friday no issues.

Saturday no issues all day until late afternoon, at first power cycling seemed to work until once again late in the evening and then even that wouldn't work. Turned off fridge for about 30 mins, turned back on worked again.

On Friday I pulled everything out of the back of the van so I could check all the power sources, 12v plug is good, 15amp fuse good, connection to fridge is good.

I'm 90% sure that this is an issue with the compressor itself. When it is on the struggle bus before the error code it makes an audible clunk when it is trying to turn on. This tells me that obviously the unit is getting power but something internally is not working.

So in a nutshell this brand new $1200 fridge worked properly for 72 hours before taking a dump. I know this is first world problems, but very disappointing and stressful to say the least. Currently looking for an alternative to getting another fridge shipped to us on the road and returning this one to REI when we hit Colorado Springs. I don't think I want to replace it with the same thing again.

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Update since we just got back into cell service......timeline of fridge shenanigans this week:

Tuesday afternoon, Error 33 fault, power cycled the fridge did not happen again.

Wednesday no issues.

Thursday no issues all day until we went to bed then it was the night from hell. Error 33 fault, power cycle would work normally for about an hour then error out again. I was up all night off/on power cycling until about 2am when it finally started working normally again.

Friday no issues.

Saturday no issues all day until late afternoon, at first power cycling seemed to work until once again late in the evening and then even that wouldn't work. Turned off fridge for about 30 mins, turned back on worked again.

On Friday I pulled everything out of the back of the van so I could check all the power sources, 12v plug is good, 15amp fuse good, connection to fridge is good.

I'm 90% sure that this is an issue with the compressor itself. When it is on the struggle bus before the error code it makes an audible clunk when it is trying to turn on. This tells me that obviously the unit is getting power but something internally is not working.

So in a nutshell this brand new $1200 fridge worked properly for 72 hours before taking a dump. I know this is first world problems, but very disappointing and stressful to say the least. Currently looking for an alternative to getting another fridge shipped to us on the road and returning this one to REI when we hit Colorado Springs. I don't think I want to replace it with the same thing again.

Hi,

It sounds like you are on the road (maybe back on the road after Overland Expo in Loveland). If you are still having problems, message me your contact info (phone and email), model number, serial number, and info on when you purchased. I'll have someone in the team reach out to you and see if they can get this resolved for you.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
dometic.com

Use promo code Expedition20 for $25 off your order of $75+

Kenyi

Observer

Wednesday no issues.

Friday no issues.

Just beware that the electrical part comes with a 2 years warranty after that Dometic don't give a crap about you. My Dometic lasted 2 years 8monts I wasted $1500 for nothing.

Even though that the Domestic representative here on the forum offered me help the Company just shut the door.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Hi,

It sounds like you are on the road (maybe back on the road after Overland Expo in Loveland). If you are still having problems, message me your contact info (phone and email), model number, serial number, and info on when you purchased. I'll have someone in the team reach out to you and see if they can get this resolved for you.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
dometic.com

Thank you and sorry for the late reply. Just last week we came into Colorado Springs and were able to get it exchanged at REI which is where we originally purchased it. If we continue to have issues with the new one we will let you know.

Dometic

Thank you and sorry for the late reply. Just last week we came into Colorado Springs and were able to get it exchanged at REI which is where we originally purchased it. If we continue to have issues with the new one we will let you know.

Great. Thanks for the follow-up! Glad you were able to stop in CO Springs and get it exchanged (y)

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
dometic.com

matt24601

Just curious if anyone with the error 33 code has gotten this resolved without returning the fridge or taking it to a service center? I ask because I've read a couple places that this code actually has to do with the voltage coming from the 12v DC system... Something is tripping somewhere and not providing enough power for the compressor. This is on the 55im model.

We got the error code for the first time yesterday, I powered off/on the unit and it's been fine since. The plug socket is wired with 10awg to a fuse block connected to my house batteries. I have no issues with any other plugs/power. I can't remember what amp fuse I have wired to this I will have to crawl back there and see. I previously had my much older dometic 45 fridge installed and never had a single issue, we just wanted a larger fridge for the road.

Anyway I'd like to try to resolve this at the lowest level possible as we are currently living in our van full time so taking it to a service center right now is not an option. Since I had such great results with my previous dometic I just blindly bought the new model thinking quality was the same and had no idea about the recalls or issues until today when I started researching this.
I was getting the same code regardless of running on AC or DC power. Working with customer service is a nightmare. I have 27 emails to prove it. The main problem I was running into is that while there are several "platinum" and "gold" certified service centers in Texas, they are all RV service centers and none of them had any idea what to do with the portable coolers. I kept getting told to contact customer support...which I did...over two dozen times. Eventually had to insist that Dometic tell me specifically where to take the unit and what individual to speak to about it. Big shout out to United RV in Ft Worth for getting it squared away.
f756aff85d1a568114a19321c3249162.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977T using Tapatalk

Dometic

I was getting the same code regardless of running on AC or DC power. Working with customer service is a nightmare. I have 27 emails to prove it. The main problem I was running into is that while there are several "platinum" and "gold" certified service centers in Texas, they are all RV service centers and none of them had any idea what to do with the portable coolers. I kept getting told to contact customer support...which I did...over two dozen times. Eventually had to insist that Dometic tell me specifically where to take the unit and what individual to speak to about it. Big shout out to United RV in Ft Worth for getting it squared away.

Hi Matt - if you still need assistance let me know via PM and I can escalate this through an internal contact I have.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
dometic.com

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society

Just curious as to what the fix was for you. After getting the replacement unit I'm now more than ever convinced it was the compressor on the original unit.

matt24601

Just curious as to what the fix was for you. After getting the replacement unit I'm now more than ever convinced it was the compressor on the original unit.
No idea what it actually was. Dometic ended up warrantying it out. Sent a new unit as replacement...which is for sale in the classifieds section if anyone's interested.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I can't believe after over 2 years of constant issues with the cfx3 range of fridges why people are still buying them, But most of all why the plugging in of both leads issue has not been rectified,

None the previous model CFX had any of these problems or the CF range, Maybe Dometic should go back to using Danfos/Secop Compressors.

I have one of the little CDF-18's and it so good. It runs 24/7 from the house or the Van and it is a joy to use.

Aqvt4r

Does anyone else hear gurgling noises from their fridge when the compressor is on and for about 30 seconds after the compressor turns off?

mcba

Can anyone tell me the maximum DC input voltage for a Dometic CFX3 fridge?

I know it must be at least 26.2V since that is the minimum starting voltage on the high battery protection setting. I believe that the AC system generates 28VDC to run the compressor, but this is not much more than a guess based on the earlier recall of CFX3 fridges where apparently 28V appeared on the DC input.

The reason I ask is that I am trying to decide how many LiFePO4 cells to use in series to power the fridge.

Incidentally, I found by testing that 16.8V is about the maximum input allowed before the CFX3 thinks you are running from a low 24V battery,and refuses to turn on. I.e., if you power it with 16.8V, it thinks you have a highly charged 12V battery, and works fine, if you power it from 17V, it thinks you have a dead 24V battery, and won't start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles