The "Expedition hat" thread

CSG

Explorer
I always wear a hat outdoors. For running to town and short outdoor jaunts, it's almost always a ball cap but having gone through a number of brimmed hats for longer days outdoors I finally bought a Tilley LT3. Best damn hat for outdoors use I've owned. It's loose enough but stays on in the windy conditions I often find myself due to the strapping system. It's really a genius design. I love the thing.

During the hottest months around here I often wear an old beat straw cowboy hat but the Tilley really is more comfortable and can be soaked if need be.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
My vote is for the military pattern boonie hat too. I got a pith helmet for Christmas, but I don't know if I've got the guts to wear it... :D

Hatari

Observer
I also have a Ultimate Products Original in Khaki, but I haven't used it since my step son brought me a couple of these:
c1065-l.jpg

from his first trip to Iraq. For hot weather they are the best hats.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Having had Uncle Sam as my haberdasher for 23 years I have a nice collection of boonie hats in various patterns: Woodland camo, leaf-pattern camo, 6 color desert (chocolate chip) and 3 color desert (coffee stains.) For years my 3 color desert boonie hat was my favorite but I lost or misplaced it in October. No worries, as I have at least 5 others waiting, so I switched to a newer one.

Me at the Canyonlands last year:

2008_0324_160147AA.jpg

My opinion on hats is that like sunglasses, ballpoint pens and wrist watches, they need to be "expendable." Even though I make a good living, I could not, in good conscience, lay down $80 for a hat that I'm going to take to the boondocks. If I did I'd want to "baby" that hat and it wouldn't get used the way it needs to.

Plus, let's face it, when we go off-roading and camping, we aren't exactly maintaining the highest standards of personal cleanliness, are we? So in my case, at least, the hat will get dirty, sweaty and eventually get that nasty greasy stain around the inside (when I was in the Army if someone's cap got to that point we'd say "you need an oil change." :D) At that point you could try to wash it but my experience is that (a) the stain won't wash out and (b) washing the hat will destroy any rigidity that the brim has (which is what keeps the sun off your face, ears and neck.) If it's a $10 surplus store special (or, in my case, a $0 Uncle Sam issue), you just toss the hat when you get to that point and get a new one.

A hat, after all, is just a tool. When the tool wears out you throw it away and get a new one, right?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Bergger said:
For warm weather I go with a Columbia Bora Bora Boonie Hat. I've been wearing one for years and it is by far my favorite hat. Very comfortable and can be stuffed into a pocket or backpack very easily.
f_56521_1.jpg

I'll second this one. They are really lite. I dip mine in water or the ice chest, wring it out and wear it when it's really hot. I cut off the goofy stings too

lowenbrau

Explorer
I agree with transientmechanic. Most of these look too cold to me.

Attachments

• tree98.JPG
    tree98.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 136

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Brewski, if you'd grow back that Weird Al 'fro, you wouldn't need such a fluffy hat...

:shakin:

Chriscanoe

Observer
C.C. Filson

I have a Filson Tin cloth waxed bush hat, which is excelent in the rain.
They also make a light weight packer hat that I have had my eye on for a while. I hate wearing a raincoat hood, so the bush hat works great for me.

lowenbrau

Explorer
kcowyo said:
Brewski, if you'd grow back that Weird Al 'fro, you wouldn't need such a fluffy hat...

:shakin:

True, but it was a bugger to get into a skidoo helmet.:imagesCADZQMBJ:

Attachments

• BigHairBoopie.jpg
    BigHairBoopie.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 102

jim65wagon

Every Miles A Memory said:
Sounds like you need to get a hat that has a chin strap so you dont always have to go swimming after it:REExeSwimmingHL:

The Tilley comes with an awesome strap setup...I just never think to use it 'till that one big gust flips it a bit. The straps work well enough (when you do use them) to keep it on your head in quite a forcible wind. Besides, I like a good swim....

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Broad brimmed boonie hat for out in the field. Various baseball caps (NEVER worn backwards) for around town. I do live in Southern California, and a boonie hat could get you arrested for being a gun nut. :REOutShootinghunter :ar15:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
lowenbrau said:
...it was a bugger to get into a skidoo helmet.:imagesCADZQMBJ:

That photo kills me everytime I see it....:xxrotflma

Thanks for posting it again. The first one was lost with the attachment manager fiasco. (Yes, I searched. Found the thread but no pic...)

FTR, I cover my mop with the ball cap du jour or a helmet this time of year. (Don't hate on the white nose cone, there's an M-10 suspension and Genesis motor with a PSI big bore kit under it. ;) )

SledHeads2.jpg

Photog

Explorer
Tilly hats. I have narrow and wide brimmed Tilly's. Yes, they are a bit more money. I have been wearing these two hats for more than 15 years. They are not showing any signs of wear; so I expect another 15 years.

This is the short brimmed hat.
LMP_2503web.jpg

This is the wide brimmed Tilly. It is asymetrically wider. Only wider in front and back. Oval shaped brim.
l_0e6ea67850e6f8091b2ca137f7558f32.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94