The "Expedition hat" thread

WMDunkin

Adventurer
here is my expedition hat, SPF 50 and I got it from JCP. Have served me amazingly well, drys quick, keeps the sweat out of my eyes, and no sun burns.

406174_706015991684_1958195290_n.jpg

309388_706016006654_1011221891_n.jpg

stuggin

Two: a beautiful artisan leather fedora (think Indiana Jones) I picked up in Portugal a few years back for warm weather, and a wool toque for cold weather.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
20 pages and no mention of Stormy Kromer? Me thinks you people spend too much time in wimpy climates. ;-)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I picked up my first tilley hat this summer in pearson airport. bought it on a whim. LOVE IT! Everytime I get in the Jeep it's on!

srserl

Observer
I bought my girl friend a Tilley hat and she loves it, but I am just not fond of floppy cloth hats. So, if you are lost enough to come upon my camp, you will see me wearing my excellent Akubra Pilbara. A good felt hat sheds the dirt and rain, and keeps the sun's rays at bay. Here I am somewhere in Death Valley last year.
8645082452_42a8ff275c_s.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Love my Tilley nylon had, lightweight and super breathable. Wish it came in tan though, white shows sweat and grime so quick.
My Tilley Airflo started out khaki --- it's nylon. It's turned a lime-green though from the sun.
I just emailed Tilley asking if there's a way to de-green it.
It' needs a wash again too.

kojackJKU

I think they would replace with a new one. that sounds like a fault of the material. Two new additions to the lids category here, outdoor research waterproof hats for me and the wife.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I think they would replace with a new one. that sounds like a fault of the material. Two new additions to the lids category here, outdoor research waterproof hats for me and the wife.
They told me there's nothing they can do. Natural color change from the sun....
It's a hideous green, btw. Retired-guy that fly fishes badly green.

sigh

I can't see it when it's on my head anyhow and it still works.

Bridger

Observer
I bought a Tilley TH4 Hemp several years ago, its quite worn and sure looks good ! I liked the looks of the TWC6 Outback when it was released and so bought one - I replaced the chin strap with a leather one and it looks a lot better now. I agree that the lighter colored ones don't look all that great when they get dirty. Both the Hemp and Outback do take on some character with grime ... IMO, the only Tilley's that make men look like men! :costumed-smiley-007

kojackJKU

Bill, goto the local wally world and buy a box of dye and dye it a nice dark green or brown. that should fix the lime green color. btw, post a pic of it.

tacksman

Observer
For those that are in need of hat repair, I was in Bisbee, AZ last week and went into this guys shop. i didn't really know there were any hatmakers(lost craft) anymore.
Grant will be repairing my old wool hat. I'll post pictures.

A hat can have many miles, and just as many stories to tell.
http://www.optimohatworks.com/index.php

My favorite was my WW1 Artillery Doughboy hat until my Ex's dog literally ate it:( and only recently I was able to pick up a WW2 "Hat Service Field" dated 1944 both are felt and hot at times but boy do I love em. Otherwise I love the standard issue Boonies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles