The "Expedition hat" thread

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Why buy a hat, just set a Frisbee on your head, or half a cantaloupe. You may need to get out more often

Lol.

I wear a work issued black boonie hat. Some days I wish it was waterproof and some days I wish it didnt have to be black. Keeps the sun off of the head and neck though.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
$65 for a hat????? ******???? just get a hat... any hat, all this about an "Expedition hat" wow! I guess I need to address my hats, ball cap, cheap straw gardeners hat, they work and don't break the bank....... I guess not so "kool" tho..... mjmcdowell

But it has to match those $200 skinny jeans and not soak up all those hipster hair products..................

herm

Adventurer
Hi jlee! Still rocking a Columbia and gave my wife the Woolrich boonie. I should wear my akubra more, I did pay more than 65 for that.

JLee

Adventurer
$65 for a hat????? ******???? just get a hat... any hat, all this about an "Expedition hat" wow! I guess I need to address my hats, ball cap, cheap straw gardeners hat, they work and don't break the bank....... I guess not so "kool" tho..... mjmcdowell

They're usually $84, so $65 is substantially cheaper than full price. I guess when you're used to NYC-area cost of living, $65 for a hat isn't the worst thing ever - and I'll never have to buy another one.

To each their own, yeah? I sleep on an Exped Synmat and offroad in a Lexus...some people sleep on a foam mat and wheel an old Cherokee...and some people travel with a $500k beast. Nothing's wrong with any of those choices, IMO.

Hi jlee! Still rocking a Columbia and gave my wife the Woolrich boonie. I should wear my akubra more, I did pay more than 65 for that.

Hey man! I'm hoping to do a 2 week Colorado trip next summer, if you're around with some time to kill you should join us for a bit!

Last edited:

The Wizard

Observer
My favorite was my WW1 Artillery Doughboy hat until my Ex's dog literally ate it:( and only recently I was able to pick up a WW2 "Hat Service Field" dated 1944 both are felt and hot at times but boy do I love em. Otherwise I love the standard issue Boonies.

100acrehuphalump, If you like campaign hats you might want to check out the line from Miller Hats: http://www.millerhats.com/catalog/index.php?catText=Military Hats&catID=59 . And if another dog eat your current hat you can replace it real quick.

CSG

Explorer
I like the Tilly hats. I think I paid closer to $35 for mine but it was some years ago. Still looks khaki to me; no color change that's noticeable.
A hat I've owned even longer is an old Eddie Bauer felt fedora that I must have purchased in the late 80's or early 90's. Still looks and works fine in colder weather.

perterra

Adventurer
Any new hats lately? I need a brimmed hat because I keep getting fried, but don't want a cowboy hat

I really like Optimo out of Bisbees Tom Mix with the short brims. The short brims dont look so much cowboy as just old fashioned.

http://www.optimohatworks.com/panamas#/tom-mix-2

I have the short crease 3 fedora in a torcido weave and it's cooler than my Tilley. Doesnt like rain though.

http://www.optimohatworks.com/fedora-short-crease-3

They are a little pricey and they wont sell you one unless you come to the shop and let them size you, but I've been in mine for 10 years and have never had better

snowfiend

I picked up a Tilley LTM6 in olive on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse today ($56). They also had the LTM5 but I felt the proportions were off with the tall crown and the shorter brim.

I wish they had a medium charcoal color, would be more versatile than the OD Green/olive. I love me some OD Green, but it doesn't look good with everything.

wltrmtty

I picked up a Tilley LTM6 in olive on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse today ($56). They also had the LTM5 but I felt the proportions were off with the tall crown and the shorter brim.

I wish they had a medium charcoal color, would be more versatile than the OD Green/olive. I love me some OD Green, but it doesn't look good with everything.

+1 on the Tilley LTM6. I wanted a hat to keep the sun off my face, ears and neck. A ball cap wouldn’t do. My complaint with all hats has been that my head gets overheated easily. Not so with the airflo. It’s light weight, gives good shade, cool, and very comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Runbrave

I’ve been using the same Tilley hat for over 10+ years - solid piece of gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles