The full sized mid-size, my 2014 F150 "Fiddy"

D

Deleted member 9101

Im in central Canada. ********** expensive here.
I could maybe get pricing like that at the end of the year, but it would be slim pickings. The whopping 2 supercabs on the local lot were 48-55K after discounts still. Both were sports with buckets and console, one had the 2.7 one had the 5.0

I'd honestly rather get the 5.0 than the 2.7. I have a friend who is a mechanic at a local Ford dealership, and he didn't recommend the 2.7. He drives a 5.0 for reference.
I drive a 3.7 on 34s and stock gears now. The new truck is going to be 400+ lbs lighter. I don't see the 3.3 being an issue, and I don't really want a crew cab.

Look for an XL with the STX package,it has most of the options of a XLT for a few thousand less. They will have the front buckets, Sync 3, 8" display, and some other goodies. If you get an XLT with the Sport package, then it's going to pe pricy.

How hard/expensive is it to buy a new truck in the US and bring it into Canada?

Also, the 2.7 is the most popular motor for a reason. They don't have the problems that the 5.0 (burning oil) or 3.5 (cam phasers) have had, plus they have no shortage of power. The 2.7 has an insanely strong block, forged crank/rods/pistons, and is damn near indestructible.

D

Deleted member 9101

I had a loaner with the 3.3, it wasn't horriable, but it left much to be desired... especailly on the HW.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I could maybe get pricing like that at the end of the year, but it would be slim pickings. The whopping 2 supercabs on the local lot were 48-55K after discounts still. Both were sports with buckets and console, one had the 2.7 one had the 5.0

I'd honestly rather get the 5.0 than the 2.7. I have a friend who is a mechanic at a local Ford dealership, and he didn't recommend the 2.7. He drives a 5.0 for reference.
I drive a 3.7 on 34s and stock gears now. The new truck is going to be 400+ lbs lighter. I don't see the 3.3 being an issue, and I don't really want a crew cab.
I'm happy with the 5.0L in my truck. So far so good. 132,000 kms on it so far. Bought it with 35,000 kms on it already just about 3 years ago.

Grassland

Look for an XL with the STX package,it has most of the options of a XLT for a few thousand less. They will have the front buckets, Sync 3, 8" display, and some other goodies. If you get an XLT with the Sport package, then it's going to pe pricy.

How hard/expensive is it to buy a new truck in the US and bring it into Canada?

Also, the 2.7 is the most popular motor for a reason. They don't have the problems that the 5.0 (burning oil) or 3.5 (cam phasers) have had, plus they have no shortage of power. The 2.7 has an insanely strong block, forged crank/rods/pistons, and is damn near indestructible.

It's not so hard. But our dollar is worth about 74 cents US, so don't end up saving anything.

Another note: most of our highways are laughable by US standards.
We just took a road trip to Kansas city, and the I29 is light years ahead of 90% of the highways I've driven on in Canada.
We had a one hour discussion about how superior American highways are, and how North and South Dakota (and Minnesota going East) can have roads of that quality while Manitoba struggles and blames it on "extreme climate".
Driving 85 mph will guarantee you a ticket on most Canadian highways.
Most are 60-70 MPH max, so smaller engines don't have to work quite so hard. Crazy what difference15 extra MPH

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It's not so hard. But our dollar is worth about 74 cents US, so don't end up saving anything.

Another note: most of our highways are laughable by US standards.
We just took a road trip to Kansas city, and the I29 is light years ahead of 90% of the highways I've driven on in Canada.
Just out of curiosity, what makes the I29 light years ahead?

Grassland

*Deleted paragraph about how much options cost in central Canada, truck MSRP*

Here is the "blow out deal" truck at local lot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191031-083317.jpg
    Screenshot_20191031-083317.jpg
    957.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Grassland

Just out of curiosity, what makes the I29 light years ahead?
You don't have to stop at a set of lights anywhere to my recollection, nor is a lane closed for 60+ KM, and the quality of the road surface is Excellent.
Drive Winnipegs perimeter highway and get back to me :)
Ah your a fellow Canadian!
Drive the number 1
How many times do you have to stop or slow down to 50 kph? Or hit a city that has no proper by pass where you have to crawl past stopping a dozen times?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
You don't have to stop at a set of lights anywhere to my recollection, nor is a lane closed for 60+ KM, and the quality of the road surface is Excellent.
Drive Winnipegs perimeter highway and get back to me :)
Can't say I've driven either. I wasn't sure if you were talking about the condition of the roads (potholes, cracks etc) or something else.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm going to look into 2.7 reliability further now.

I've been looking at 300a XLT units.

Options I won't budge on:
Tow package ($925 CAD, 3.73 gears with E-locker $500 CAD)
Options I can argue after the fact or add later: bed liner ($300-600 CAD) break control ($250-300 CAD)
Options I'm not sure I want to pay for:
301a package [just for leather steering wheel and larger instrument cluster screen] ($2150 CAD)

So that's a good $2000 over basic price, and I've not been able to find an XLT 3.3 SCAB for less than $34000 after discounts.
Nor do I see many 2.7 SCABs with tow package, or SCABs period.
Loads of 3.5 and 5.0 SCREWS though.

While a locker is nice... The 10 speed makes the rear axle ratio less important. The 2.7 has a loooot of low end power, it doesn't care much about gear ratios...lol.

Cackalak Han

Explorer

Take what mechanics say with a grain of salt. They have their bias just like the rest of us. Also remember that V8's made up only about 25% of all F150 sales, so the shops see more ecoboosts naturally. Any of the engines should serve you just fine. Main advantage of 5.0 and 3.5 is the higher payload, if that is needed.

mekcanix

Camper
Also from Winnipeg and yeah Manitoba roads are the worst. Strange Ontario seems to do a better job, guess thats what happens when we are a have not Province, but what do I know

Cackalak Han

Explorer
While a locker is nice... The 10 speed makes the rear axle ratio less important. The 2.7 has a loooot of low end power, it doesn't care much about gear ratios...lol.

Yes, I would say 3.55 is plenty for a 2.7. Not sure if I would personally go lower than that if I were towing often or heavy loads, but you should definitely not limit it to 3.73.

Also, regarding brake controllers: You can get a factory unit installed cheap. It's already prewired. Just get the controller from an OEM parts supplier (it was something like $130 US) and simply plug it in to the harness that's already there.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm going to look into 2.7 reliability further now.

I've been looking at 300a XLT units.

Options I won't budge on:
Tow package ($925 CAD, 3.73 gears with E-locker $500 CAD)
Options I can argue after the fact or add later: bed liner ($300-600 CAD) break control ($250-300 CAD)
Options I'm not sure I want to pay for:
301a package [just for leather steering wheel and larger instrument cluster screen] ($2150 CAD)

So that's a good $2000 over basic price, and I've not been able to find an XLT 3.3 SCAB for less than $34000 after discounts.
Nor do I see many 2.7 SCABs with tow package, or SCABs period.
Loads of 3.5 and 5.0 SCREWS though.

I have the 301 package. I like it for the power seat, rear defrost and adjustable pedals. I do think there is more to it than a leather steering wheel. I thought the cluster was the same on 301 and 300 trucks?

Grassland

Todd N Natalie: The 300a trucks I've been in have the small non colour MFD in the instrument cluster. But that's something that could have varied by year for all I know.
My 2014 300a has the tiny screen that's just text. *Possibly the towing package upgrades the cluster on plain 300a*
I realize the 301a is more than the leather wheel, but I actually don't want the power pedals or rear defrost. I actually just want the Leather wheel lol. Not a stand alone option unfortunately.

Cackalak Han:
I'd go 3.73 gear because I'm going to 255/80R17 or similar tires. Granted I don't think it will be as critical on a 10 speed as it would be on the 6, but gear swaps aren't cheap.

Mekcanix and UltraHDGames: sorry to hear your suffering alongside me in Manitoba lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94