The full sized mid-size, my 2014 F150 "Fiddy"

Grassland

The Whiskeys of the weekend. And the kind of terrain that is typical of "off road" for the truck.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20191018_202922.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20191018_202922.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 124
  • thumbnail_IMG_20191020_122609.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20191020_122609.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 130
  • thumbnail_IMG_20191019_150440.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20191019_150440.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 138
  • thumbnail_IMG_20191019_182316.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20191019_182316.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 138
Decked Drawers review.

So, i purchased this drawer system for the Fiddy when it was in work duty. They were in use for about 2-2.5 years in that capacity, and afterwards just for personal use, mostly camping.

Durability: 6/10
Ill try to get pictures later of the damage they have taken over these few years. Most of it I think has to do with how the plastic performs in extreme cold (-33C). In particular, the drawer fronts and the latching/reinforcing lattice. Its a lot less money than a shelving kit for a cargo van, and it only weighs about #250, so I'm not terribly upset at how fragile they seem to be. At the same time, I was hoping they would hold up better. Especially for resale purposes. Perhaps the newer versions are better, as Decked have been upgrading the product. The top has held up well. The drawers themselves haven't deformed much, and the glides/slides are doing just fine. It also has remained secure to the truck bed.

Function: 6/10
I'm on the fence on their usefulness, as it seems as if every time I want to put something in them, the item ends up not fitting, or fits poorly resulting in a waste of space. Sometimes they are super handy, keeping things clean and out of the way. The full width on top prevents things from falling into inaccessible voids for the most part. Other times I am cursing the space the drawers take up, and the height increase they make. Lifting a #55 cooler up and onto the drawers on a lifted truck when you are 5'7" gets old really quick somewhere like Banff National park where all food needs to be kept inside a hard walled vehicle.
4 Maxtrax pads fit in a drawer, with room for a collapsible shovel on top. They also take a Viair 400P. Lots of things can be arranged to fit in the drawers loose, but it doesn't work well for duffel bags or backpacks etc. So while it can be useful for camping right near the truck, its not the best for going on backpacking trips, as the packs have to sit on top of the drawers. Depending what your plan is for the drawers, it might work out stellar for you.

Value: 7/10
Up her in Canada, you get hosed for pretty well everything. The US price at the time was $1100, which I feel is fair. You could build something out of lumber that wouldn't look as slick, but would probably work almost as well for a lot less, but then it would likely weigh more. If you are busy/lazy/without carpentry skills its a good idea. Other drawers systems I looked at did not have the top payload that the Decked does, and involved drilling into the truck bed.

Right now the left drawer hold 4 maxtrax pads, shovel, breaker bar, small basic tool set, recovery kit (2 recovery straps, 2 shackles, gloves and a hitch) The right drawer holds a small sleeping bag, 3/8 foam bedroll mat, camping chair, tarp, heavy duty rain poncho, camp cot, and Viar 400P compressor.
For daily use, I could drop a lot of these things. And Id honestly like to have the maxtrax somewhere else. I have only used them for snow so far, but don't want to drag mud and sand into the drawers.

I don't think I would get them right away if I get another F150 SCAB. In the mindset of going lighter, I would probably try a pair of swing out truck boxes first. Like in the third image. I haven't found empty weight for them, but assume I could shave 200 lbs off compared to the Decked Drawers.

View attachment 545184View attachment 545185View attachment 545190
Thanks for the honest review. We always appreciate hearing what our customers have to say. Especially when it is feedback on how we could improve our product. As far as the price in Canada, we have o agree that it is a bummer that it costs so much to import and distribute outside of the USA. We are working hard on improving our international distribution. Especially to our neighbors.

On the subject of the durability. We would be interested to see what the problem was/is with your latching system. We have made improvements to the front of the drawer over the last couple of years to make them stronger and I am wondering which version you have. If you are having issue, give us a call and we can help work it out. 208-806-0251

Grassland

Thanks for the honest review. We always appreciate hearing what our customers have to say. Especially when it is feedback on how we could improve our product. As far as the price in Canada, we have o agree that it is a bummer that it costs so much to import and distribute outside of the USA. We are working hard on improving our international distribution. Especially to our neighbors.

On the subject of the durability. We would be interested to see what the problem was/is with your latching system. We have made improvements to the front of the drawer over the last couple of years to make them stronger and I am wondering which version you have. If you are having issue, give us a call and we can help work it out. 208-806-0251

I'll try to post some pictures later today. It's mostly been to the latches/handles. I can't post directly from my.phone as the files are too large to upload. Unless I can figure out how to resize them.

I think the plastic is just too brittle when it's 20 below or worse.
IMG_20200101_182646.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20180906_103554.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20180906_103554.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 94
  • thumbnail_IMG_20180906_103623.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20180906_103623.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 90
  • thumbnail_IMG_20180906_103608.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20180906_103608.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Grassland

Now I haven't always been a full size guy.

I had a 2008 Ranger for quite a while, and that truck was with me when I started my business. It put in lots of work AND play. Cranked T-bars, LT265/75R16 tires, explorer springs and extended shackles, RCI skids, and bilstien shocks.

I also had a couple 2002 Grand Cherokees. Only one was modded. 2" spring lift, bilstien shocks, isolators, IRO track bar, and 245/75R16 tires. The grey one was my unicorn Jeep. It was the 4.7 in a Laredo WITH the tow package. If you know your WJ, this gives you the NV247 transfer case, and a U-joint front driveshaft rather than the ball in socket style, along with the D44 aluminium rear dif rather than the Dana 35.

I've grown used to the vast room of a full size truck. Especially the 6.5' bed. I took a look at the new Rangers, as well as the Colorados and Tacomas. I just can't justify the price tag of 45k+ for the lack of space. Ive looked at replacing my truck with an aluminium base V6, which gives me mid size curb weight and performance, but full size room, and i can realistically get one for about 36K

One other option I've been toying around with is a 2019 Grand Cherokee Laredo with Off Road group level 1, and doing a 1.5" spring/strut lift all around, extra armor, and some 32s. My wife has a 2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude, and I really like how it rides, how quiet it is etc. Plus, seating 4 adults comfortably.
I'm not sure how I feel about the limits of a fully independent suspension, and have ZERO options on locking the rear dif. I'm also not sure how I feel about losing an easy to hose out rear cargo area that you get with a pickup.

Attachments

• 1005131_10152991640060151_1648692896_n.jpg
    1005131_10152991640060151_1648692896_n.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 1013966_10152991639050151_2094084175_n.jpg
    1013966_10152991639050151_2094084175_n.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20150425_164752 resize.jpg
    20150425_164752 resize.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • 20150905_094208 resize.jpg
    20150905_094208 resize.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60

tennesseewj

Observer

I had a 2008 Ranger for quite a while, and that truck was with me when I started my business. It put in lots of work AND play. Cranked T-bars, LT265/75R16 tires, explorer springs and extended shackles, RCI skids, and bilstien shocks.

I also had a couple 2002 Grand Cherokees. Only one was modded. 2" spring lift, bilstien shocks, isolators, IRO track bar, and 245/75R16 tires. The grey one was my unicorn Jeep. It was the 4.7 in a Laredo WITH the tow package. If you know your WJ, this gives you the NV247 transfer case, and a U-joint front driveshaft rather than the ball in socket style, along with the D44 aluminium rear dif rather than the Dana 35.

I've grown used to the vast room of a full size truck. Especially the 6.5' bed. I took a look at the new Rangers, as well as the Colorados and Tacomas. I just can't justify the price tag of 45k+ for the lack of space. Ive looked at replacing my truck with an aluminium base V6, which gives me mid size curb weight and performance, but full size room, and i can realistically get one for about 36K

One other option I've been toying around with is a 2019 Grand Cherokee Laredo with Off Road group level 1, and doing a 1.5" spring/strut lift all around, extra armor, and some 32s. My wife has a 2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude, and I really like how it rides, how quiet it is etc. Plus, seating 4 adults comfortably.
I'm not sure how I feel about the limits of a fully independent suspension, and have ZERO options on locking the rear dif. I'm also not sure how I feel about losing an easy to hose out rear cargo area that you get with a pickup.
My wife is on her second WK2 currently and I drive them fairly regularly on family trips. I usually have to drop the seat down to get comfortable, but I'm also 6'4". Otherwise, they are pretty capable and very underestimated. They catch a lot of heat for being unibody, having independent suspension, and not having good lift options but that's only fair criticism if you need those things. Lots of guys are rolling around on 35s with lockers for no reason at all...

As far as ditching your truck to get a second Grand Cherokee, my wife and I each had an SUV for about a year. I didn't think I used my truck bed often until I didn't have it available. Having a trailer available would have helped, but I was annoyed more often than I anticipated at needing to haul a piece of furniture, mulch, gas cans, lumber, or firewood in an SUV. I also appreciate keeping the bugs that tag along on camping gear in the truck bed instead of inside, haha. Obviously your uses may vary, but I was quite content to swap my Land Cruiser for a Tundra and get some versatility in the fleet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

Ive looked at replacing my truck with an aluminium base V6, which gives me mid size curb weight and performance, but full size room, and i can realistically get one for about 36K

Uhhhh...36K easily gets you a Supercrew, 4x4, 2.7, STX. No need for the 3.3 when the 2.7 is better in every single way.

The 3.3 is a good motor, but it's a little on the gutless side and has horriable resale value.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Uhhhh...36K easily gets you a Supercrew, 4x4, 2.7, STX. No need for the 3.3 when the 2.7 is better in every single way.

The 3.3 is a good motor, but it's a little on the gutless side and has horriable resale value.

You could even do better than $36k

And that's a supercrew. Supercab would be slightly cheaper.

I would only consider a 3.3 in a regular cab, 2wd.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Nice Grand! It's almost a twin to the '99 I used to have.

Grassland

You could even do better than $36k

And that's a supercrew. Supercab would be slightly cheaper.

I would only consider a 3.3 in a regular cab, 2wd.

Im in central Canada. ********** expensive here.
I could maybe get pricing like that at the end of the year, but it would be slim pickings. The whopping 2 supercabs on the local lot were 48-55K after discounts still. Both were sports with buckets and console, one had the 2.7 one had the 5.0

I'd honestly rather get the 5.0 than the 2.7. I have a friend who is a mechanic at a local Ford dealership, and he didn't recommend the 2.7. He drives a 5.0 for reference.
I drive a 3.7 on 34s and stock gears now. The new truck is going to be 400+ lbs lighter. I don't see the 3.3 being an issue, and I don't really want a crew cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles