The Georgia Traverse - Solo ..... let's try this again

wngrog

Adventurer
My neck of my the woods. Very nice. Wish I’d have know about this prior. Would have suggested a couple good camping spots. Could have hooked you up with the cabin off hwy 215. And what? You were at the Asheville Airport and no mention of Sierra Nevada? You were just a few hundred yards from adult Disneyland.

I’m terrible about telling others of my trips. Never know when I’m leaving and never know when I’m stopping for the night. Finding a killer campsite at 6 pm when you are alone is useless. No way I’m stoping and hanging out alone long. Driving is one thing. Sitting is another.

Sierra. Yeah we went once. Great beer but the food was like Chili’s.

Ngneer

Observer
Great read man! Wanting to do this myself , any way I could talk you into the map you have minus all the dots, I’m computer illiterate, the dots are crazy. I live in east central Alabama, close to the west entrance. I know Meridian and Tuscaloosa pretty well for work. Meridian is my home away from home, has been for 38 years, I go down and back on a train and back. Been wanting to do this trail for a while, about 2 months into a purchase of a camper top, been wanting to try out. Thanks again for a good write up. I could sit around a fire and sip on some good bourbon with ye. Safe travel s to ya

Great read man! Wanting to do this myself , any way I could talk you into the map you have minus all the dots, I’m computer illiterate, the dots are crazy. I live in east central Alabama, close to the west entrance. I know Meridian and Tuscaloosa pretty well for work. Meridian is my home away from home, has been for 38 years, I go down and back on a train and back. Been wanting to do this trail for a while, about 2 months into a purchase of a camper top, been wanting to try out. Thanks again for a good write up. I could sit around a fire and sip on some good bourbon with ye. Safe travel s to ya
You mean the map on http://www.georgiaoverland.com/map.html ?
or are you looking for the GPX Files, http://www.georgiaoverland.com/download.html ?

wngrog

Adventurer
The one you have in this write-up here.. like you all the dot stuff is crazy.

Yeah. When you download the .gpx into GIAI you get the simplified map that is the second picture.

Like you, I almost died when I saw the first one. That’s Google.

Put it in your GPS of choice off the Georgia Overland file and it will be route and waypoints only with a few “possible campsites” and “unknown roads” tossed in

barongan

great adventure,thanks for sharing
o.png

redfishnc

Nice photos and write up. Did you encounter any areas that you think a 4wd suburban would have troubles? And if you did could you easily get a by pass...

Can you easily tow an off road trailer through this trail with a RAV4?

Thanks for the write up!
Yes, all gravel forest service roads and paved roads. A civic could do most of this trip (residences on the route that need to access their homes with regular vehicles).
Several road closures at the moment, (Chimney and Dicks Creek being 2 big ones). So make sure to check the NFS website and avoid closed roads.

Nice photos and write up. Did you encounter any areas that you think a 4wd suburban would have troubles? And if you did could you easily get a by pass...

Would have 0 issues on this, maybe a few area where you could get some pin-striping.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I just read all of this. Great writing and phenomenal photos! thanks for sharing.

I'm hoping to do some exploring out that way someday. I'll be saving some of this info for then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94