The Ghost Truck

Kya

Adventurer
And the fun drive to Spring Canyon Point and Cliffhanger Arch.
Probably one of the "harder" spots on the trail.
IMG_3848.JPG

IMG_3847.JPG

Overlook was beautiful and isolated.
IMG_3787.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

Side trip to Cliffhanger Arch was fun and had some more challenging four wheeling. Definitely worth the extra time.
IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3791.jpg
    IMG_3791.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3630.jpg
    IMG_3630.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Kya

Adventurer
Started on a rear bumper, because I was stoked on wheeling by the time I got home. And the wheeling we do is pretty mild! I've left it out a few inches to protect the camper when its in the truck, and to have a solid step to reach the camper roof. But I'm debating that logic and still might tuck it up closer to the body. It is still sticking out less than stock. I have a few more days to decide since I'm waiting on a local metal shop to finish up the bends on the side tubing.
View attachment 376691

IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3614.jpg

IMG_3617.jpg

IMG_3609.jpg

Kya

Adventurer
Update 8-13-17

If anyone is in need of having their high performance coilovers or shocks rebuilt, I strongly recommend 303 Shock Services in Denver. Tim is friendly, reliable, and easy to work with. He was able to rebuild my Icon coilovers in one day, and even helped me replace the uniballs in my Camburg UCA. https://www.facebook.com/303Shocks/

I finally finished my hacker attempt of a high clearance rear bumper. I relied on parts that I had laying around in my garage. The main bumper is 2x3 square tubing, the side protection was made from 2x3 3/16" angle iron. I would like to add some 3/16" plate to the bottom of the angle iron to create more structure and a surface for terrain to slide on. This would also help if I eventually try a swing-out tire carrier. Not sure how to do that with the way the camper sticks out. I did the cutting, grinding, and tacked the pieces in place, but went to a real welder to finish up the important parts: welding bumper to brackets, receiver hitch, etc. I like the way it turned out, except the side protection should have gone the few extra inches to the back of wheel well. I cut them too short thinking it wouldn't look too bad, but I was wrong. We also managed to get some great camping in too this summer, though not much serious four wheeling.

IMG_3632.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Cutting the bedsides. My first time doing something like this, I was nervous...
unnamed-2.jpg
IMG_5805.jpg
IMG_5803.jpg

A few days in Moab so my wife could do the Thelma and Luise Half Marathon
IMG_5398.jpg

Then up to Mt. Evans and a night at Summit Lake. I got up early and skied the North Face (seen in the background of the first picture here). Even though it was June, I was still able to get a summit ski decent. I'm now halfway through skiing the 14ers from the summit.
IMG_5479.jpg
IMG_5476.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5396.jpg
    IMG_5396.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 43

Kya

Adventurer
Then we just cruised around the state when we could: Eagle to Independence Pass, to Marshall Pass, to Kebler Pass, to Cottonwood Pass back to Eagle.
IMG_5516.jpg
IMG_5514.jpg
IMG_5598.jpg

Also made it up to the Flat Tops for some amazing wildflowers.
IMG_5743.jpg
IMG_5742.jpg

Kya

Adventurer
My wife and I spent a few a few days in the Flat Tops camping and wheeling. As always, it was a blast, and we managed to get over 50 miles of dirt road travel and probably half of that in lo-range! I now have a date set to install the Harrop e-locker in a few weeks in Rifle. We almost got stuck on an awkward loose rock climb with a good sized ledge right at the top. Had to stack rocks to get up and over, and was kicking myself for not getting the locker installed earlier this summer. That is a job well out of my skill range!

Stoked I did my homebuilder's hacker rear bumper, as this ledge would have crumpled the passenger side bedside and stock rear bumper!
unnamed 3.jpg

So much space in the Flat Tops. In winter, it's a snowmobiler's paradise.
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-2 2.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-3.jpg

This is the ledge we got partially stuck on. Almost destroyed the rear u-joint and driveshaft! These double cabs are so long and the trail narrow, I just couldn't get a better angle when approaching the ledge.
unnamed-4.jpg
unnamed-8.jpg
unnamed-5.jpg
unnamed-6.jpg

Evidence of a quality camping trip. Crushed beer cans, bug spray, and a shovel.
unnamed 2.jpg

Kya

Adventurer
There are so many lakes that you can just find a cool spot, set up camp and turn off the brain.
unnamed-12.jpg
unnamed-14.jpg

Most trails were in the moderate range, but they were rocky, tight, and turny. A fun combination for the long wheel base that added some challenge and excitement.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed-5.jpg

Leaves starting to change. Best time of the year for wheeling and mountain biking.
unnamed-9.jpg
unnamed-10.jpg

Sadly, I put the camper into the garage for the season :(
We will still camp and wheel, but I always get a little sad putting the camper away. Good news is, winter is now right around the corner. Bring on da POW!

Kya

Adventurer
No real updates. Just enjoying the truck and changing of the seasons. We went out on some easy trails to check out the yellow glow.

unnamed 2.jpg
unnamed-8.jpg
unnamed-14.jpg
unnamed-6.jpg
unnamed-11.jpg
unnamed-12.jpg

Kya

Adventurer
Had to abort my plans to hit McCallister Gulch Trail between Redcliff and Camp Hale on Saturday, and work on a busted radiator my teenager banged up (wife's car and not the truck!). Thankfully she's fine and the damage is minor. Living in a sweet spot and with the leaves starting to fade, I still managed to get out for a quickie.....

unnamed-5.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-7.jpg
unnamed-8.jpg
unnamed-6.jpg

Kya

Adventurer
A buddy and I did the Transfer Trail from Glenwood Springs to Coffee Pot Road to Dotsero. Fun trail with a moderate/easy road surface. There was about 4 inches of snow on the north aspects once we got to higher elevations that kept things slippery and challenging enough to keep you really focused. With a new snow storm in the forecast the following day, you wouldn't want to get stuck or slide off the trail or your truck wouldn't be moving until late spring! Beautiful and scenic trail with a little over over 40 miles of dirt roads and at least 20 miles in lo-range.

Beautiful start to climb out of town through the scrub oak.
unnamed-3 2.jpg

Looking down on Glenwood Springs as you gain elevation.
unnamed-1 2.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

Awesome views from Windy Point
unnamed.jpg

Mt. Sopris and Capital Peak through the trees.
unnamed-4.jpg
unnamed-8.jpg
unnamed-12.jpg
unnamed-3.jpg

The drive down from the Flat Tops on Coffee Pot road was spectacular! After the last snow storm I would say Colorado's high trails are shut down for the season. It is likely you would encounter lots of snow on any shady aspect above 10,000 feet.

Junichi

Killer truck and camper combo. Great to see it getting used as it should. I have a matching truck, just need the camper...

Kya

Adventurer
Thanks man! These trucks are awesome and carry the camper really well. With the long wheelbase, lack of maneuverability, 35s someday, and extra weight of the camper I've always worried about the stock spindles....especially when going down hill in rocky terrain and really cranking on the steering wheel. So these bad boys showed up yesterday. Damn, these Solo Motorsports 4x4 spindles are ************!
unnamed.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles