The Grand Expedition Colorado to Alaska to Baja...

aero

Adventurer
Man that was an adventure! Glad you made it out of Mt Hoods backcountry, good feeling when you make it back to civilization after taking a route that you weren't sure of. Great pictures.

Yeah it was surely a little more adventure than I was looking for. And it would've been a much easier time if the weather hadn't warmed up, making that powder snow into a wet heavy mess.

aero

Adventurer
For those following wondering if I drove off into the ocean, I'm still around. I hung out at a friend's place in Oregon for a bit while pondering my next moves.

As much as I wanted to make it down to Baja this trip, I've decided to shoot back over to Colorado so I can get some work stuff started as well as work on getting a place established so I'll have somewhere to travel from. Perfect timing... Now that it's freaking cold.

I have a bunch more pictures to go through as well as a few more updates I can knock out, and I'm sure I may have videos and other stuff.. so don't go just yet! Although I'll likely be quite busy for the next week.

And the rumors are true... The next camping expedition trip will be in a new rig... Which I'm not sure of exactly what yet. But I have ideas as well as improvements and changes that I'll be building into that next rig.. whether it's a Geo Metro or a Honda Ridgeline. :rofl:
The main criteria in the search, more MPG.

Currently in NE Nevada making my way to CO.

So I'll try to work on getting through more pictures and some write ups, maybe some rig related ones as well as far as what I liked, disliked and what's going to migrate to the next toy. That'll get setup ASAP since I still have a lot to explore!

crazy joker

Epic travels, man! I started following your build on Tacoma World which led to your travel report. I decided to follow here instead. Good call on wanting something with better mpg. I also drive a Tacoma with a shell, and long trips are brutal on gas. I'm thinking a Honda CRV with all wheel drive would fit my needs better.

aero

Adventurer
Epic travels, man! I started following your build on Tacoma World which led to your travel report. I decided to follow here instead. Good call on wanting something with better mpg. I also drive a Tacoma with a shell, and long trips are brutal on gas. I'm thinking a Honda CRV with all wheel drive would fit my needs better.

Thanks, better mpg is something I'd surely like, TW read it as the only reason which it isn't. I want to get back to one before for work one for play again and no reason keeping this thing.

I am still tossing the idea around of something smaller and less off-roady but i think i still want to be able to do trails (just less technical stuff) and have winch capability. It does limit me, but we'll see how it plays out.

aero

Adventurer
Post pics please

Brandon are you planning of posting pictures of the fire?

Yeah I've been pretty busy dealing with it so far, might actually get to bed early tonight.

As I've discovered along the way, this forum makes it hard to easily post pictures without getting out the laptop... Which rarely happens, and is why I wasn't able to update as regularly along the way.

Anyways, I decided to take the scenic route to home Depot a week ago, ended up getting stuck in snow. Only thing I had to dig with was a hiking pole, got quite a bit done in over 3 hours of digging but my inexpensive seat heaters that I had were on a different plan. I saw smoke, tried to throw snow on it without any luck.

Finally was able to get the truck down on Sunday with the help of a bunch of friends and the tow truck came today to pick it up.

Moral of the story I got was i should've continued my trip instead of being responsible and coming back to get work lined up!

There's nothing left of the truck... And my plans for another off-road rig have been suspended since I'm not really feeling it right now after going through this. Which is also why I've yet to do anything else as far as updates since it still doesn't seem real.

I'll try to add a picture with my phone but if it doesn't work, i was tagged in pictures on Instagram of the recovery.

aero

Adventurer
I was stuck at over 11k, thankfully weather cooperated and we were able to get it. The trail was not very snowy for the most part but was and is very drifty as I now know.

The night I got stuck I thankfully was able to grab a jacket from the front seat and a backpack that had basic necessities in it which i always have. My jacket was frozen by the time I hiked down after finding a small spot of cell service and calling a ride and calling 911 and telling them of the situation and that I was ok.

mph

Expedition Leader
I am very sorry for your loss and what are you going through...Glad you are ok. Plenty of other great trucks out there...You will find one:). All the best!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles