The Great Camp Chair Debate

grogie

Like to Camp
I thought I'd add these chairs to this thread. They're the Xscape Designs Sportline XL Folding Chair w/ Footrest that came in multiple colors.

I originally bought two and took them on a long camping trip and immediately had problems with both chairs (lose screws, cheap plastic hinges and poor sewing quality). Upon returning home, Gander Mountain who I ordered them from, replaced them at no charge. So far the second set haven't broken (with limited usage so far), but the build quality isn't the best so I'm sure that they're life will be short lived. That's sad as they're very comfortable as I could sit them for hours, but just cheap chairs made in China. From other reviews it sounded like replacements were often reshipped to customers.

What a shame as I'd gladly pay twice as much for these chairs if they just lasted for more then a year or two!!

132748i_ts.jpg

Last edited:

jeepgc

Adventurer

Excellent mods Honu.

You've persuaded me. We saw the Helinox chairs at a show last year, but thought that they may be too fiddly to set-up after a long day's drive/hike.

Looking at them for a second time in the video, they don't look so fiddly and the size/weight savings couldn't be better.

Have just placed an order for four and have downsized from the Kampa Bistro dining chair shown below.

Comfortable and simple to put up, they are large and long when folded up.

Kampa-Bistro-Dining-Chair-2.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
How do you like them. Anyone else have these. I was looking at getting a pair

I've got three.

The general consensus - and I've asked a lot of people to sit in my collection of chairs to gauge comfort, etc. - is that the telescoping chairs aren't QUITE as comfortable as the director's chairs that keep popping up in this thread.

The advantage to the director's chairs is that they're very taut when setup. The taut bottom and back make for really good support, so you can lean in them at funky angles, or sit straight, and it's all good and comfortable. The telescoping chairs are sturdy, but even fully deployed they're a bit "floppy". Your weight in the seat is part of what holds everything in alignment. As such, if you start leaning to weird angles (like you're trying to put your feet up on an odd rock, or trying to keep your kindle out of the sun (1st-world-problems), you sometimes get to where the fabric isn't taut enough and you end up with one cheek sort of on the frame, which isn't as comfortable.

That said, they pack so much smaller and "flatter", so they really are very easy to find room for in the rig. As such, everyone I've asked has said that the difference in comfort is more than outweighed by the difference in packability, so the telescoping chairs "win".

I'm going to hold on to both and give the telescoping chair another couple of trips (including a long one at the beach in August). I expect there'll be a clear "winner" by then...

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I've got three.

The general consensus - and I've asked a lot of people to sit in my collection of chairs to gauge comfort, etc. - is that the telescoping chairs aren't QUITE as comfortable as the director's chairs that keep popping up in this thread.

The advantage to the director's chairs is that they're very taut when setup. The taut bottom and back make for really good support, so you can lean in them at funky angles, or sit straight, and it's all good and comfortable. The telescoping chairs are sturdy, but even fully deployed they're a bit "floppy". Your weight in the seat is part of what holds everything in alignment. As such, if you start leaning to weird angles (like you're trying to put your feet up on an odd rock, or trying to keep your kindle out of the sun (1st-world-problems), you sometimes get to where the fabric isn't taut enough and you end up with one cheek sort of on the frame, which isn't as comfortable.

That said, they pack so much smaller and "flatter", so they really are very easy to find room for in the rig. As such, everyone I've asked has said that the difference in comfort is more than outweighed by the difference in packability, so the telescoping chairs "win".

I'm going to hold on to both and give the telescoping chair another couple of trips (including a long one at the beach in August). I expect there'll be a clear "winner" by then...

Thank you. I have noticed the telescoping chairs due lack support and it's what I currently use. I like them because of its pack ability like you said

I think I'm gonna move up to a directors chair and make room for it. They do feel better and comfort is important when out in the middle of no where

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Helinox One & Front Runner Explander Chairs

The Helinox One is a super light and small chair that is great for tons of applications. It is low to the ground, not cheap and the little feet can get lost in soft ground. Overall though we have loved this little guy on our adventures. Check out our review here: http://www.exploringelements.com/review-helinox-chair-one/

HelinoxChairOneReview-2.jpg

The Front Runner seems to be a solid value. It has held up great to the abuse we throw at it on the road full time. Check out our review here: http://www.exploringelements.com/review-front-runner-expander-chair-2/

FrontRunnerChairReview-4.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The Helinox One is a super light and small chair that is great for tons of applications. It is low to the ground, not cheap and the little feet can get lost in soft ground. Overall though we have loved this little guy on our adventures. Check out our review here: http://www.exploringelements.com/review-helinox-chair-one/

HelinoxChairOneReview-2.jpg

The Front Runner seems to be a solid value. It has held up great to the abuse we throw at it on the road full time. Check out our review here: http://www.exploringelements.com/review-front-runner-expander-chair-2/

FrontRunnerChairReview-4.jpg

nice chairs. Those little chars are expensive but surprising comfortable. At least when I sat in some at rei.

What Bluetooth speaker is that.

joneseyyy

Explorer
nice chairs. Those little chars are expensive but surprising comfortable. At least when I sat in some at rei.

That looks like the GoalZero Rock Out 2 - just did a review on it one the dirtroadtrip.com blog Monday (see sig). Unfortunately it is not Bluetooth...rather uses the audio jack, but is nonetheless a cool piece of kit at a "reasonable" $50. The more expensive version with an integrated solar panel does have Bluetooth.

www.dirtroadtrip.com is all about scratching the itch for off-road adventure one weekend, one vacation at a time.

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
If ya get the itch to buy one of the lite chairs from rei check out the helinox first :)
A bit more comfy and roomy design I posted a video a ways back on YouTube comparing the two

Biggest thing is for sure pack size and weight of them
If the rumor of a high back version from helinox is true will be getting a few of those also :)
My mod works awesome but will be curious what they come out with resting my head is something that is a must for me in a chair when lounging :)

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
The problem with those low chairs is getting up out of them after a long day or several beers. Have tried a few like that and got tired of asking for help getting up.

2008 FJ Cruiser expedition ready and off-road trailer with RTT.

98roamer

Explorer
I have one of these from costco. Much cheaper at costco if you wanna get a few. I like that it sits low cuz i like having a foot rest but being so low I don't need one. It can almost lay flat and I can fall asleep in it. The head pillow is perfect too.
http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Bahama-...4132&sr=8-6&keywords=beach+chair+tommy+bahama

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KPgbusTkL.jpg

We've been camping for over 20 years with these style beach chairs. They are a pain to pack which is why they usually end up on the roof rack, but at camp they are great. They lay flat for a quick afternoon nap and they also are low so the fire smoke is never a problem. I've been very tempted to add Kermit chairs to the pack since the beach chairs only last about 5-8 years.

peneumbra

Explorer
The King Kokoda chairs I got from OzTent are really comfortable. I hate it when I have to stand up but otherwise I wouldn't be able to get to the sofa...

UncleBilly

Observer
Picked up a StrongBack chair a few weeks ago and I've got too say it's really comfortable. I didn't think the lumbar thing would be that big a deal, boy was I wrong. Helps a lot and feels great. They aren't cheap, but are very well made and I only need one 😜

Uncle Billy 🇺🇸

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles