The great white fun hog (another white GM awd build)

T.Low

Expedition Leader
They only time I've had any issues is when I didn't use a fork brace. I've kinda rallyed this kit on mountain roads and it's held firm and taught.

image.jpg

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
When we were out on the coast last month I started hearing a rattle from the back of the van.
Finally found the culprit.

IMG_20140920_141746 by boardrider247, on Flickr

I remember not being happy about the way that shock went in but didn't think it would be a problem. Another guy has tracked down the correct bilsteins that don't require the adapters so I'll order up a pair of those when I fix this.

But good news is the hammock experiment is a huge success!!!!

IMG_20140920_142929 by boardrider247, on Flickr

bunks-tj

Observer
Are you worried about whatever the hammock is attached to pulling out? It is a lot of weight on a single point. I had thought about the same thing but worried that my body weight on 2 anchor points might be a bit much.

boardrider247

Are you worried about whatever the hammock is attached to pulling out? It is a lot of weight on a single point. I had thought about the same thing but worried that my body weight on 2 anchor points might be a bit much.

I was a little concerned which is why I wanted to try it out in the driveway.
I'm hanging off of the airline track I installed. That has a #14 screw every 4" and I positioned the clips between two screws. Really there is no reason my 200# spread between 4 screws would be an issue. Even if it was it would pull out the closest screw and bend down to the next. For the amount I would actually use the hammock inside the van I think I am well within the margin of safety.

bunks-tj

Observer
I was a little concerned which is why I wanted to try it out in the driveway.
I'm hanging off of the airline track I installed. That has a #14 screw every 4" and I positioned the clips between two screws. Really there is no reason my 200# spread between 4 screws would be an issue. Even if it was it would pull out the closest screw and bend down to the next. For the amount I would actually use the hammock inside the van I think I am well within the margin of safety.

Sounds good to me.

boardrider247

Today I started in earnest the process of mounting the fiberglass westafalia top onto the fun hog.

My reasoning for using a VW top was this. I want to be able to stand straight up in at least part of the van. I'm 6'3" with most fixed hard tops I would still be slumped over a bit. So for pop tops on my budget it was either custom of used VW. I wanted to be able to buy canvas off the shelf rather then needing a custom tent made so the VW top won out. I pulled this particular top off of a 74 Westfalia I bought for $150 for parts. Let's just say I made money on the deal.

The fiberglass top is flexible and totally flat on the bottom. My van has a compound curve that is the roof. After setting the top on the van last fall I knew it was to going to take some trimming to make this work. I needed a way to hold the top above the van evenly.I hate to admit is but I racked my brain for MANY hours how to accurately transfer the curve of the roof to the top so it would be at least close enough to make some final fitment trims. I had though about rope systems to hold it level from my shop ceiling, two by fours strapped across the roof of the van ect ect ect. Now looking back I feel rather stupid for not coming up with this idea sooner.

LOAD BARS!!!!!
IMG_20141026_165645 by boardrider247, on Flickr

Yep. Simple as can be. They are already flat and the same height above the van. Once I had this epiphany it was a simple matter to transfer the curve of the roof to the top for trimming. A little level and stick rule work got the top centered on the van side to side.

Here you can see that the westy top lines up to land just outside of the last rib on the van roof. Should make for a very good seal.
IMG_20141026_170133 by boardrider247, on Flickr

To give you an idea how much trimming is needed. This is the furthest from the roof that the top sat on the load bars.
IMG_20141026_170151 by boardrider247, on Flickr

And this is the closest
[img
]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3934/15450410937_739bfb5b7b_h.jpg[/img]
IMG_20141026_170159 by boardrider247, on Flickr

Back corner
IMG_20141026_170210 by boardrider247, on Flickr

My uber scientific marking device
IMG_20141026_171358 by boardrider247, on Flickr

And we have a curved line on the top
IMG_20141026_171601 by boardrider247, on Flickr

IMG_20141026_171607 by boardrider247, on Flickr
That's it for today. I worked last night til 3am and am ready to crash.

I am looking for some input on how to finish this portion of the project off though. Most people who use VW tops on non VW vans seem to make a fiberglass nosecone to fill the front portion. This is certainly an option and would provide for the best aerodynamics but I am also thinking of making a roof bar/fairing similar to the Nissan Xterra's. I would build a flat plate that seals the westy top and had bars projecting forward with a lexan fairing. Maybe easier then fiberglass but may hurt MPG's?

P1080190.jpg

Last edited:

mikracer

Adventurer
Your post earlier said you needed to figure out what to do about the front since its open. How come you didn't get the front piece with it? I wonder if a local shop (stereo, boat, or??) could fiberglass it closed for you. Either way, its going to be sweet with a pop top installed.

boardrider247

Your post earlier said you needed to figure out what to do about the front since its open. How come you didn't get the front piece with it? I wonder if a local shop (stereo, boat, or??) could fiberglass it closed for you. Either way, its going to be sweet with a pop top installed.

The VW luggage rack that the top seals to was a really bad fit and would require a ton of modification to make work on this van.
But mostly I just don't like the look of them. I'm perfectly capable of of building a fiberglass nose myself. I guess I'm just not totally sure that is the route I want to go.

EWizard

Having owned a late model Vanagon Westfalia, I can vouch for how awesome the pop tops are.
Nice being able to stand inside the van.
Can't wait to see it fully installed.

boardrider247

Did some more fine tuning on the fiberglass last night. It's close but I think I am actually going to build up a couple spots. To compensate for some irregularity in the roof. Then just waiting for the gasket to final fit check this piece.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Did some more fine tuning on the fiberglass last night. It's close but I think I am actually going to build up a couple spots. To compensate for some irregularity in the roof. Then just waiting for the gasket to final fit check this piece.

Unless the gaps are more than 1/4", I wouldn't bother until you've tried it with a bulb seal. The ones I have from McMasters are a full 3/4" in diameter and offer more than enough "squish" to seal over small irregularities. (Or big ones, in my case - like where my awning brackets cross the line of the roof seal)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior