The Little 2TRFE That Could..

jeverich

Luddite
I had picked up a set of siped 255/80/17s a while back with the intention of re-selling them... They never left my garage, so I decided to run them for my upcoming Moab trip. If dinged one of my sidewalls pretty badly last year, and was reluctant to run my 255/85/16s again.

Pretty pleased with the wheels, I like the look! I feel a little pretentious driving a rig with alloys...

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Lol...

Looking good. And with the center caps!!! :bigbossHL:

Split spoke Sequoia wheels have always looked good on Tacomas though.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Pretty pleased with the wheels, I like the look! I feel a little pretentious driving a rig with alloys...

lighter and stronger = no regrets

How many people have you ever seen repair a bent wheel? Steel wheels are expo-cool but not necessarily better.

The new wheels look good. The biggest disadvantage to 17's is tires cost more but since many more trucks are on 17's from the factory there are lots of tire options.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Hope Moab Goes/ went well. Post photos when you get the chance. Just went through the thread for the third time.
Still Impressed with the truck. My little 4 banger is getting ready to hit 80k and still runs like a top! love the simplicity of the regular cab five speed but I suspect the AC will be my next truck when this ones goes. ( hopefully not for another 22 thousand miles. )
I still think this is the best truck on expo, I admit I am biased towards the five speed 2.7 tacos. Any new mods other then the rims ? The more I look at them on your truck the more I like them.
Mods on my have been limited to a recent set of studded tires. Old Man winter and the hundred inches of snow we have gotten so far this year demand it but I might try and wrap the rubber around something other then the steelies soon.
Keep having fun other there.

jeverich

Luddite
Well thanks for the compliments!

Finally got some time to dig into the rig after a tour of Iceland/Denmark.

Not sure if it received a lot of attention on Expo; but I did start a "HELP" thread while I was in Moab about 6 weeks ago. Basically, I had total clutch failure whilst in the middle of the Poison Spider/Golden Crack trail. Not fun. Ended up limping off trail in 1st LOW - pardon my language, but it was faking epic. Whereas most of the time you pull up to an obstacle, shut the truck down and choose a line... I didn't have that luxury. Once I was rolling, couldn't stop without shutting the truck off. Of course, maybe that's why Mr. Toyota put the "Clutch Start Cancel" button in the dash. I know I always doubted it's purpose before this incident.

Winch and the "Clutch Start Cancel" totally saved my truck. Oh, it's a Harbor Freight, too!

Managed to crumple my rear driveshaft somewhere in between having the clutch crap out and the end of the trail. At that point it was just an added bonus.

Pulled the rear driveshaft, and used the syncros to shift in FWD the thousand mile drive back to Bellingham - it was an adventure, but doable in a pinch.

Here's what I found today - I'll throw some Moab pictures in as well.

Essentially, a clutch spring broke - lodged itself in between the pressure plate and the pads. Makes complete sense, as I had no clutch. Very, very, very fortunate that those pieces didn't find themselves on the flywheel, or in the starter tooth area. Would've sucked.

Going to pull the flywheel in a bit. I'll send it off to get re-surfaced.

Not too sure on replacement clutch yet; contemplating URD. Stock AISIN lasted for 156K miles - all in all, not too bad.

Played in one of these in Iceland...

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Not always the case, but more times than not I'm surprisingly pleased with the durability of OEM parts on Toyota trucks. My T had about 15 years/ 220,000 miles on the factory clutch and was still shifting great the day I changed it, which was for reliability sake. I put another OEM clutch in it.

GodwinAustin

This thread is amazing, beautiful photos and words. Your rig is awesome. Love all the mods, and look exactly in line with what I would like to do with mine eventually.

jeverich

Luddite
This thread is amazing, beautiful photos and words. Your rig is awesome. Love all the mods, and look exactly in line with what I would like to do with mine eventually.

Thanks! Not much time to do a heck of a lot of mods lately... but that may change soon.

- Jake

jeverich

Luddite
Short escape to Harrison Lake area... The Cable Ferry made the trip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P6EWG1_Fp0&feature=share

E3fNRJQ.jpg

nsodjxv.jpg

xQrahSb.jpg

ddWIwpS.jpg

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Looks great man!

Cable Ferry is neat also...

By chance are your rock sliders open or filled in with plates?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online