The Lunchbox Build... 4x4 chevy shorty van

Lunchbox2

Explorer
This thing looks so beast. Nice work on the paint, and on the work overall. It's nuts to go back to the beginning and see the pic of her in the field. Good work!

I know right?! I've been posting lots of pics on facebook lately, showing people where it all started, and holy crap what a lot of work that was! haha I definitely underestimated how much work it was all going to be, I can't believe I actually got it done.... It's pretty amazing to look outside in the driveway and see it sitting there though, and she's got me smiling ear to ear every time I get behind the wheel!

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Gosh damn I love your van. It can't get any cooler than this. Your kid is lucky to have a dad this handy.

Thanks man! I never thought people were going to like this thing as much as they do, I get nothin' but love everywhere we go.... My son tells complete strangers about our "monster van" every time we go to the store, he LOVES this thing...lol

F451

Observer
Thanks man! I never thought people were going to like this thing as much as they do, I get nothin' but love everywhere we go.... My son tells complete strangers about our "monster van" every time we go to the store, he LOVES this thing...lol

That is awesome. Here's my younger one years ago with my new to me KTM 520 as I was putting it back together after it was shipped to me. I think she was as excited about the bike as I was. My kids have been my biggest fans when it comes to my motorcycles, they get it.

DSC00029-S.jpg

And the van looks awesome. Very inspirational build, thanks again for sharing. -Eddie

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Man, that is one awesome rig! The minimalist bumper was a great idea. Looks real good!

Lunchbox2

Explorer
That is awesome. Here's my younger one years ago with my new to me KTM 520 as I was putting it back together after it was shipped to me. I think she was as excited about the bike as I was. My kids have been my biggest fans when it comes to my motorcycles, they get it.

DSC00029-S.jpg

And the van looks awesome. Very inspirational build, thanks again for sharing. -Eddie

Thanks man! My little man turns 5 in January, and he's been riding on 2 wheels (bicycle) for over a year now. I think he's about ready for a pw50 or something, which means daddy gets to buy a dirt bike too! haha I've been thinking about how I can make a rack that slides into a receiver hitch out back, and carry the bikes with us wherever we go. I love it that he's into this kind of stuff, it gives us a lot to do together. My dad was never into outdoors/motorsports related activities, so we never did ANYTHING this cool when I was little....

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Man, that is one awesome rig! The minimalist bumper was a great idea. Looks real good!

Thanks! I really wanted to use 1.75" DOM, but the lack of money in my pocket determined otherwise...lol So that square tubing is what I ended up with, and I'm NOT disappointed about it. I think they turned out great as well!

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I was invited to a trail ride at a private off-road park on saturday, and I was running a few minutes late for the morning meeting because of last minute wrenching... They decided to wait for me because they were told a van was on the way.... "A van??" they all kept saying.... But when I pulled in, they swarmed me.... A couple quick questions from the trail boss, and he was anxious to get moving (and try to lose me....lol)...

Right away they took off down a tight winding trail through the woods, and dropped off a 6' tall ledge down into a tight creek bed that snaked for about 50 yards, and then had a 6' off-camber vertical climb at the end. They all made it through, and were all parked around the campfire, cameras out, waiting for me to flop it on it's side, as I was almost the last to go.... It was a tight fit, but the ol' girl just plopped right down into the creek, crawled right through the twisties, and pulled herself right up and out of the creek, without hardly spinning a tire...They all went CRAZY! lol

I'll try upload the video later, but you can hear the trail boss saying..."Damn, I guess I can't call THAT trail hard anymore...." haha Then they all quickly cleared the way to the RTI ramp, and I puller her up and flexed it the **** out.... I've never seen so many people's jaw drop in my life. They just weren't expecting a VAN to do what it did.... After that he says.."How's it do on the hills??" I said "Dunno...haven't had it on anything like THIS yet?" He laughs and says... "well the tractor isn't far away if you put it on it's side, we'll get it out then haul it to the shop and fix it"

I had a ****-eating grin on my face the whole time! haha

Lunchbox2

Explorer
After that, they all wanted me toward the front of the line, so they could watch! haha We snaked through the woods, with me literally standing on the brake pedal at times, sliding down leaf covered hills, 20' tall vertical hill climbs in the gravel pit, downhill off-camber side-hilling trails, the Lunchboox handled EVERYTHING they could throw at it. I discovered that my approach/departure angles are ************* awesome, my breakover angle is great, it's side hilling capabilities truly impressed me (and everybody else that thought it would flop on it's side...), I couldn't be more proud of the ol' girl!

There was a little carnage, but we made it back to the shop with him and he got er' fixed...

One of these is NOT like the others.... (but shhhhhhh....she doesn't know that...lol)

It ended up turning into a business opportunity, as this is a brand new park that's still being developed. HE wants to throw a big new years day ride and have me make a video, with the Lunchbox being featured in the video. He couldn't believe the response the ol' van got, EVERYBODY friggin loved it! He wants to bring people in that want to help cut new trails, there is so much un-developed property and he's ready to let people go crazy. The owner is awesome, and just wants to provide a place where people can come and let-loose, and have a good time. There is a couple cabins on the property, and he's building several more, so he's looking at hosting private groups to come and wheel.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
The Lunchbox took a little body damage, but I wasn't about to let anything stop us from following those guys... Besides, it gives her character, and lets people know she's not just some pavement princess....:ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
Man that is awsome!!! The pic of your son behind the wheel is great, looks like he belongs there. That's not body damage, those are clearance reliefs. That and proof it's no pavement queen.

colierar

Observer
Awesome man, so cool to watch this amazing transformation. I am a Chevy guy at heart and this van is what they are all about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94