The Lunchbox Build... 4x4 chevy shorty van

Lunchbox2

Explorer
We've been doing a lot of rescues too! The jeep guys love it, no matter how deep the hole is they know I'll get em' out of it. it's nice knowing you have a wrecker wheeling with you....lol

L6xJAZd.jpg

fuWA6QN.jpg

Ran into a random quigley out in LBL one day so I HAD to take pics! No owner around though, must've been out fishing...

R7a0Dmq.jpg

Had some friends down for the eclipse. I took them right to the center of totality and we had front row seats, it was awesome! How do you like my homemade awning from crap laying around the garage?? it works great for free 99

2umZbDz.jpg

IBQl771.jpg

ccOnvTH.jpg

The "golden" hour on the beach

fRTfNrW.jpg

Follow the leader!

pFh77rb.jpg

6FKOOLq.jpg

Lunchbox2

Explorer
We've proven it's offroad prowess and know what the old girl is capable of, so now I'm trying to make it more "camper" friendly. Time to start on the interior...

I had to cut my swivel seat bases as they were for a ford van, so we did a quick chop and weld and I installed some free chevy conversion van seats. We have swivel seats up front!

rHxThXn.jpg

hh9oeIR.jpg

033m9K2.jpg

Then I started the sleeping platform in the back, using old wood in the garage. I ripped a couple of 2x12's into 2x4's and got to it! I had some leftover chip board from an old project for the top, and I converted an old DIY bookshelf into a drawer.

fQkzVgo.jpg

TziwC71.jpg

Cd1FLak.jpg

t4xntOP.jpg

Then grandpa showed up with some old carpet remnants from his house (new carpet several years back), so I broke out the staple gun and laid it down!

s62cHyL.jpg

V3ALLtU.jpg

So much room for activities!

VSCP6gy.jpg

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Well.... it's time to let the Lunchbox go, we're ready for something new!

The LUNCHBOX 4x4 adventure van! This is not your typical pathfinder/quigley van. This was a 2wd van that I converted to 4x4 using common 4x4 parts. The front axle is a Kingpin Dana 60 sitting on 52" chevy leaf springs, with 4.10 gears, truetrac locker, ford spindles w/dual piston brakes, yukon hardcore hubs, and highsteer/crossover steering using 1-ton GM tie rod ends. The rear axle is a full-float 14-bolt with 4.10 gears, yukon grizzly locker, and disc brakes. The engine is a TBI 350 from a motorhome, with approximately 50k miles on it. The transmission is a fully built 700r4, with kevlar clutches/bands, corvette servo, and a huge external cooler, with a twin-sticked NP205 gear to gear transfer case. This allows the van to cruise down the highway 75mph @ 2400 rpms, or you can drive around in 2wd LO range on the trails and only lock in the front axle when needed. The suspension travel is pretty silly for a van, it takes a good driver in a jeep to be able to keep up with it.

When things do get sketchy though, there's a WARN Zeon 12 winch on the front bumper that will save the day, and she has many times! I just put a brand new 1000ca Interstate battery on it, and a brand new steering box to replace an older leaky unit. There's vent tubes on both diffs, along with the trans and transfer case, that run up to the engine compartment so nothing gets inside if you get into the soupy stuff. There's also a fullsize 35" spare on a swing out tire carrier in back, in case there's a flat.

The interior is nothing fancy, just a couple of swivel buckets up front and a simple sleeping platform with storage underneath in back. My son and I live near a large national recreation area, so it's main purpose was to disappear into the backcountry and be able to camp out safely for a few days at a time.

Everything was new 3 years ago, and the van would've brought double my asking price had I tried to sell it when I first finished it. I never thought I'd sell it though, so we didn't worry about scratches/dents, my son and I just had a lot of fun with it. It got a lot of attention on the internet, it's pictures were shared worldwide! It was maintained regularly and she's been great but it's time to either rip it apart and build something else, or give somebody else the chance to own it and enjoy.

There's nothing majorly wrong with it, she'll go anywhere you point it, and has been dead reliable, we're just ready for something new...I invested $13k in parts, and no telling how many hours of my own labor. I'm going to price it at $8500 FIRM. I believe this is a fair asking price considering the drivetrain/suspension/axles that is in it. I'd knock off a little if you let me keep the winch. I may consider partial trades?? Mainly squarebody or toyota 4x4... No 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, or motorcycles though! IMG_0290.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I recently bought a 89 G30 cutaway box truck. Your thread has given me a lot of knowledge right off the bat. I had no idea the entire front suspension and engine will drop out the bottom in one piece. I wasted my time watching all these videos of people stuffing engines in from the front. I have a 79 blazer donor to use for a 4wd conversion. I was thinking that a subframe that held the leaf springs and engine in a single unit might be a good way to do the conversion. I just need to figure out if the steering will clear. I'm very happy with how simple the van is in it's design. Thanks for all the info!

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I recently bought a 89 G30 cutaway box truck. Your thread has given me a lot of knowledge right off the bat. I had no idea the entire front suspension and engine will drop out the bottom in one piece. I wasted my time watching all these videos of people stuffing engines in from the front. I have a 79 blazer donor to use for a 4wd conversion. I was thinking that a subframe that held the leaf springs and engine in a single unit might be a good way to do the conversion. I just need to figure out if the steering will clear. I'm very happy with how simple the van is in it's design. Thanks for all the info!
Glad I could help! Pathfinder built a subframe out of 1/8" steel that mounted to the inside of the "framerails", and that's what the suspension mounted on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles