The Map is Not the Territory: A Northern Maine Adventure

chevyz71

4x4 Z71
COOL !!! YOU CAN SE THE TRAIN ON GOOGLE MAPS SATELLITE, I WAS TRYING TO FIND IT BETWEEN THE TWO LAKES, I SAW A CLEAR ON THE MAP, ZOOM ON IT AND YES THEY WERE !!!

JLink

This was awesome to read and extremely inspiring. I'm a days drive from where you guys were, so I'm going to have to do some research and see if a few buddies from the Tacoma forum would be down to do a similar trip.

epicxcrider

Observer
Well, the next trip is in my sig line, and that happened last year. Since then I've relocated to Seattle and I have a new base for expeditions :D

DzlToy

Explorer
Can't get thayah from heyah! They don't allow motorcycles or bicycles in the North Maine Woods. Best bet to do it motorized is on a sled in the winter. If you are planning a trip I can recommend some roads for a dirtbike up there. PM me!

Thanks for the compliments :)

Here is a link to a great ride from ADV, with quite a bit of dirt road riding in Maine and New Hampshire.

Both look like great trips...

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Everyone including Chirp carefully climbed down the cliffs to the river to have a look around. Down below the dam was a remarkable gorge and rock formations. One large boulder in particular was perforated like Swiss cheese.

IMG_7574.JPG

Vugs! that is what looks like the Swiss Cheese. It happens when Limestone is turned into Dolostone.

Limestone is calcium carbonate (Ca2CO3) and Dolostone is calcium magnesium carbonate (CaMgCO3).

Without getting too much chemistry involved, the carbonate (CO3-) molecule would much rather partner up with the magnesium than the calcium. So as water rushes by the limestone, the calcium is replaced with magnesium, with in turn makes the molecule smaller, and creates the vugs (swiss cheese)

Absolutely great thread, my brother and I are heading next year to the North Maine Woods for a week, your thread has been great inspiration.

Nvr-stuck

Just read through all 21 pages. Awesome trip report guys. The pictures were incredible. Being from Maine and about a couple hrs south of where you guys were, I am definitely going to take some time and go visit these sights. Looking forward to reading your adventure on 2 wheels now. :bike_rider:

bigbuilder

Just wanted to say again how fantastic this trip report was. I read it way back in 2012 and it was so memorable I had to dig through a bunch of old threads just to find it. What an adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles