The MaxiMog in the Discover Magazine!

I know my mother said "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it"
But...
He replaced the OM366LA MB diesel with a gas V8
He replaced the unique to Unimog 8 spd trans/transfer case with a 4 spd GM automatic more suitable to a light(er) SUV and and chain drive transfer case (no wonder it broke)
He says he's not a gearhead. At least he admits it.
AFAIK the thing has never been more than 150 miles away from the factory, the Museum of Modern Art in NY or Southern California.

Charlie

762X39

Explorer
Yeah, the MaxiMog is basically a castrated Unimog (there I said it). Everything that makes a Unimog, well a Mog has been removed.It is no better than a badly maintained chevy truck at best (no disrespect to poorly maintained chevy trucks:ylsmoke:)).
The idea of a van body Mog is pretty good but this is an example of money terribly misspent.:coffee:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
LOL You got a point and made my laugh! Totally agree with you and much more but I don't want to risk being contacted by some people of U :elkgrin:

Anyhow, working on that truck was still fascinating! Soooo much "cr..aehm stuff" fitted into one place was unreal.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Say what you like about the chassis. The camper is quite innovative, and well worth a look.
It is indeed worth a look. I had a Unimog with the right engine, transmission, transfer case, etc. and did, in fact, take it more than 150 miles from home. But I don't recall any interest from the Museum of Modern Art, Discover Magazine or the like. :(

He might better have left "Mog" out of the name, but trashing a run-of-the-mill Mog to make a innovative, one-of-a-kind, world famous vehicle seems completely compatible with custom vehicle building protocol. Customizers have never been reluctant to lose functionality to increase uniqueness, and I don't know that it makes any more sense to disrespect the Maxi-Mog for being a lame off-roader than to disparage the Dodge Tomahawk for handling way worse than a stock Ducati.

762X39

Explorer
Yeah, I know my criticism of the Maxi is pretty harsh but I still like the van body, I just hate the rest of it. You are right though Mike, no one important ever expressed any interest in my mog (and my first trip with it was over 5000km in northern ontario, then I started taking slightly more local trips with it) . I guess if he didn't try to capitalize on the "it's a Mog, the most capable 4X4 in the world" aspect of the conversion, I wouldn't have a problem with the conversion.:coffee:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I guess if he didn't try to capitalize on the "it's a Mog, the most capable 4X4 in the world" aspect of the conversion, I wouldn't have a problem with the conversion.:coffee:
Well said. I certainly do agree that it's uncool acting like it's a still a Mog. One can't imagine that Boyd Coddington ever bragged that CadZZilla's is "a Cadillac Model 62, one of the cushiest sedans of the forties." :sombrero:

mudmony

Observer
sure hope I dont post negativity towards others dreams, thoughts and motivation to do, even if i dont agree

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles