The Maze ROF trip 9/19

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Thanks for the humor Tom.
Had to find a way to get those pics in. They were a little different than most others posted. The knarly remnants of the bush sticking up out of the cactus growing in the measily patch of desert "topsoil" next to the slickrock just caught my eye and was kind of a tribute to the hostile environment we were in for a week. The pic of you was looking out of the Icebox on the Granary hike and the one of Phil and you was also from that hike - we were almost to the Granary.

gwittman

Adventurer
I wondered exactly where that photo of me was taken. I knew it had to be near the Icebox but did not realize you took it from inside the Icebox.

wasatchcascade

Reflection
Next time gentleman, if you wish to see more country. First day from Hanskville, all the way to Maze Overlook camps, 3/4 day. When finished there back track and then to Teapot, the start of the "Rock and Roll". Camp at the Wall (great scenery) or Standing Rock (good hike options) then on to camps in Doll House. On the way out, past Teapot, head W toward Hite and do that route, there is one tedious horseshoe bend drive (Rock Canyon) but otherwise there is great scenery. Puts one on the highway, just N of the Colorado river; and then N to Hanksville or S & E to Cedar Mesa and Blanding. It appears you had a safe and good time - vehicles and humans - in making the tour, flowers and sunshine were out (and apparently too many bikers). While you were in the Maze, our group was in the Needles (we were in the Maze in April) and we experienced the same good weather and wonder. At one point on a high spot, I pulled out the binoculars and glanced over to the Doll House. Lots of memories of both of those places, which I have been into many times. On the way back to Moab though, one of our (3) vehicles gave out - three hours later a tow, and then a week later a tow for hundreds of miles. Then a new engine block and upper manifold. We were happy the vehicle didn't give out W of Elephant Hill. (Maze Overlook to Harvest Scene, one crux move after the "birth canal and then two moki step walls; (for others) really helps if you have a 40-60 ft. rope to at least lower and/or raise packs and hand lines on the crux move or coming up/down the Moki steps- needs to be done properly and safely. Harvest scene is expansive and Choc drops in the early eve "Light up"). I'm happy for you folk; and I'm sure you have great memories, and you got to share it with friends. That's a bonus.

Spaten

Hi folks. Dan here. This is the first time I’ve been on Expedition Portal since our adventure to the Maze District. The pictures are truly amazing and because of Gary’s excellent write up I thought I could hear the voices and snippets of our conversations. For six guys who just met we had to cut the conversation short at Ray’s after 2 1/2 hours because the restaurant was closing. The success of the trip had a lot to do with all of you. Thank you all for all that you contributed to make the trip what it was. And a big shout out to Gary, our leader, for putting together such a well organized adventure. This trip will likely remain the best I’ve ever done. I was fortunate to have been in our group. Dan

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Great comments Dan. I just hope you don’t make Gary’s head swell too much. But seriously I would be very proud if someone said a trip I led was the best they’ve ever done.

I agree that it was a great group and your contributions then and now are much appreciated.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwittman

Adventurer
Thanks Dan. Ace, don't worry about my head swelling. My contribution to the trip was minimal. I think going to The Maze and the people on the trip is what made it so good. We also had some luck on our side. Believe me, I had no visions that allowed me to pick the right people. Things just fell into place. I also feel fortunate to have been a part of this trip.

Dan, you mentioned once that you might write an article about this trip. Did you decide whether to do it or not?

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Thanks Dan. Ace, don't worry about my head swelling. My contribution to the trip was minimal. I think going to The Maze and the people on the trip is what made it so good. We also had some luck on our side. Believe me, I had no visions that allowed me to pick the right people. Things just fell into place. I also feel fortunate to have been a part of this trip.

Dan, you mentioned once that you might write an article about this trip. Did you decide whether to do it or not?

Gary it’s true you didn’t choose the people but you worked hard on the logistics of the complicated permitting mess and getting the camping set up nicely. You showed great judgement in changing gears and driving to Hanksville for fuel. It was appreciated by us all. Now you can’t deny your ready to lead future ROF trips.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
ROF stands for retired old fart, sometimes said retired ol' fart. Operative word is retired, the rest is just frosting on the cake :rolleyes:.

Not all of us are retired but not many can take time off to do our many day trips (7-15 days) unless they are. Two requirements we do stick to is driver 50+ and no passengers under 21. We have fudged the age a bit at times. Vehicle types are determined by the trails chosen and up to the trip leader. Because these trips are “overlanding style” they are usually easy to moderate. The Maze stretched that definition.

Ace

TrueGritCruzr

Not all of us are retired but not many can take time off to do our many day trips (7-15 days) unless they are. Two requirements we do stick to is driver 50+ and no passengers under 21. We have fudged the age a bit at times. Vehicle types are determined by the trails chosen and up to the trip leader. Because these trips are “overlanding style” they are usually easy to moderate. The Maze stretched that definition.

Ace

Perhaps the operative words should be “Old Fart”. Not everyone may be retired but I am pretty sure we are all old farts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior