The Memorial F150 Craptor.

dbhost

I just watched the wrecker take the truck off for its heart transplant.

The plan is by the time I get it back it should have a new engine everything checked over new belts hoses that sort of thing, The suicide doors are getting fixed and a full inspection so I can go directly to the tax office and register it. I Go from there grab the tires and go to the tire shop, get the 33s installed. Then get home with it and the camper get gets stuffed in the back.

It has been over a month. And it was supposed to have been done over 2 weeks ago... Aaaarrrgggghhhhh!

dbhost

So update. 6 of the 8 injectors are in hand, and already installed. The remaining 2 are being picked up as early as possible tomorrow. IF he gets on the stick and gets it done, does the drive cycle and changes out the oil, I ***SHOULD*** be able to get the truck early Friday, and have enough time to get it registered, and tires swapped.... However as things have been going, not super likely to hit that target. Assuming he misses and we go into Monday, I will be able to at least take the truck camping and do my thanksgiving plan, just in a camper I can't stand up in... HOWEVER, that SERIOUSLY puts my slide in camper pick up prospects in jeaopardy. I am beyond ready for my truck to be back in my hands. We are going on 5 weeks for a project that was supposed to take 2, no more than 3...

dbhost

So I am absoltuely flumoxed. I now have 4 similar campers to look at. All in the sub 1100lb category. one I am on the fence about, and 3 I could go with any of them and be happy about. The 2 Sun Lites almost identical, but one is a side futon couch configuration, the other is a dinette. The couch model needs a propane compartment door but otherwise looks to be in really good shape. The dinette model looks to be in the same shape but is a dinette model and would require some reworking for my fat tail to be able to use it.

There is a Palomino that is currently fitted to an F150 with a full height door and existing opening for a small window AC. But it is funky dark inside with the late 80s vibe and would need paint. And then a Starcraft that I am unsure of the weight but it is on a Silverado 1500 crew cab and unless he swapped in some massive helper springs seems okay... The Starcraft is the cheapest, but also the one I like the least. The wood and fabrics on the inside are all dark and dated, and it is a dinette model. The Sun Lite with the missing propane compartment door is the most expensive, but other than the door, honestly looks to be the nicest... The Palomino is the 2nd and is about dead center on price, and has the full height door and AC port. Honestly that one would make my life the simplest. But the seller speaks Spanish only. And with my wife gone, at best I can order lunch, ask directions and get my face slapped. I need a translator.

dbhost

So the report is that the truck is back together, and being double checked before kicking it over... We missed being able to get the inspection for today so the earliest I can get to the county tax office is Monday, which is going to be interesting. I have to be in office Monday and Tuesday... Will work out schedule with my manager so I can be sure to get those tags. THEN I still need to get to the tire shop. Sigh...The finish line is so close...

dbhost

Good news, spins over, builds oil pressure, bad news no fire. Troubleshooting found crank position sensor not sending signal, ordered, another day delay. Yay!

Having him do the cam sensors and TPS as well... I am NOT thrilled with the delays, there is no way I am going to have the truck for Thanksgiving weekend. Going to throw my instant set tent into the car. Anyone willing to drag my stupid butt off the beach if I get stuck?

dbhost

It's alive. Bank 1 cam sensor throwing a code and same side exhaust leak getting fixed. Drivers side hub noisy. But almost ready... chase those gremlins out and we are good to go...

We ran 00 wire for the DC to DC takeoff. Ready for a custom whip from the camper.

Maybe tomorrow or Friday.

dbhost

So, sitting here, waiting still. Lots of thumb twiddling. Anxious to get my truck back, and the camper. I need to figure out the DC to DC wiring in the camper as I know it has a built in charger for Lead Acid battery tied to the 7 pin. I need to bypass that and get the 40 amp DC / DC charger / solar charge controller hooked up, and the cable routing for the solar figured out.

I am most likely going to accessory route I.E. pass a cable through the window for the time being until I figure out how to get this all wired up properly. I am sure I will be asking a LOT of questions about wiring into the existing camper electrical system... And extending it to suit my needs I.E. 12V port as close as possible to the bed for my CPAP...

dbhost

Well it appears bank one Cam was installed 1 tooth off on phaser. he should have taken it and moved it around yesterday if he was able to get the phaser bolt since they are torque to yield.

Once we get that sorted, the codes cleared, the oil change done and the inspection done I pick it up.

I wasn't expecting him to run the cable from the battery back to the back of a truck but that gives me a take off point where I can run all the way to the bumper for a rear winch tray so I might end up keeping the Engo E9000 I'll just spool it with some synthetic cable and add a hawse fairlead.

Last edited:

dbhost

Well, the owner of the Sun Lite that I thought I was going to buy, happened to be literally one town over from me and was able to run the camper by for me to see. It has been raining HARD all day long so I got to see if my #1 concern was of any merit, and it was. That thing was leaking like crazy. I passed on it. Kind of broke my heart a little bit because, well I REALLY want a standing room camper, and I LOVE that sofa configuration.

So I am back to the Hi Top truck topper based sleeper rig. Well, if Crazy Quady can make it work, so can I...

Still waiting for the truck to be finished, but I know we are oh so painfully close I can taste it...

dbhost

So... Items left to do for the Hi Top camper build A.K.A. back to plan A.

This following list is not necessarily in order, but you get the idea...

#1. Get truck back. Mechanic had a bit of a health scare but will be back at it tomorrow, we are confident we can pick up Monday.
#2. Swap tails out for the blacked out tails, swap in the 1K lumen LED reverse bulbs.
#3. Swap in replacement tailgate handle with backup camera.
#4. Swap in aftermarket Android Auto Stereo with 10" touchscreen display / GPS blah blah blah...
#5. HVAC tape off the truck bed gaps such as holes at stake pocketc etc...
#6. Install Bedrug.
#7. Wire camper shell 3rd brake and dome lights to the truck with disconnects.
#8. Install bed and electrical cabinets and mattress.
#9. Create connection from electrical take off that my mechanic is leaving on the frame (Lug posts) and create Anderson connector whips for hot and ground for DC to DC charger circuit, make that connection.
#10. Finish installing MPPT controller / DC to DC charger.
#11. Install battery and make all battery connections.
#12. Create "curtains" and insulating panels from reflectix, fabric sources from blackout curtains from Walmart as it was cheaper than buying fabric, and velcro with my oh so wonderful (yeah right) sewing skills.
#13. Install USB LED lighting on the ceiling keeping the controller / receivers next to each other. They both work off of the same remote and do the same thing if they are next to each other.
#14. Install cot side storage organizer on the other side of the truck bed.
#15. Figure out how, route and install 12V power socket to run from in bed mounted battery to back seat of cab, this is to power the fridge. Install fridge in back seat.
#16. Bond the 110V ouetlet box to the inside of the camper shell. Right now it is more free floating. Simply goo it onto position with some liquid nails for projects...
#17. De-chrome and raptor line the rear bumper to match the front.
#18. Install tailgate seal kit to, you guessed it, seal up the tailgate and keep drafts and dust out of the camper. Install the thick high density foam weatherstripping to make the seal between the hatch and the tailgate.
#19. This is a figure out and do thing, but figure out how to set up a locking mechanism for the hatch so it can be locked and unlocked from the inside. The shell MFGs really ought to have had this figured out already but sadly, no...
#20. Add Z track and seal the holes to be able to hang the hot water heater on the side of the truck. The idea is on the hot water heater side I will use a piece of welding blanket to protect the truck, but have it hang in a french cleat arrangement from the side, specifically off of the truck shell
#22. Install BFGoodrich All Terrain TA KO2 33x12.50/17 tires, and have them balanced. Getting rid of the Hercules Trail Digger MT 35x12.50/17s that rub. Bleh...
#23. Build tailgate replacement / AC pass through panel. I.E. size up and cut a hole in a plywood panel and a hunk or two of 2x2 that will allow me to have a way to have a window unit AC rigged up in the camper. This is not immeidate need but before next summer hits absolutely.

At this point, I believe I am ready to load and go as it were. And mind you, a good number of these items can happen after I have taken the maiden voyage.

My plan is to get the truck back obviously, get the tires on, then go after the low hanging fruit, or the stuff that needs to happen before other stuff, so like the whip for the DC to DC charger should happen before the bedrug as I need to poke a hole in the bedrug to get the pass through done... Or make the whip go up and around under the camper shell seal which would pose a risk of leakage that I do not want...

This is good, this means I will be done well in advance of Christmas, and can be in camp for the holiday (Yay!).

And even better, I can stop driving my old ******tbox Chevy soon...

dbhost

So the call came late in the evening. The truck is running out fine, drive cycle is done, on the shops machines it all checks out fine, so inspection this morning, pick up this afternoon or evening. Then tire shop...

The weather is actually warming up again here in TX, as in Saturday will be 81 deg F. so the plan at this point is...
  1. Install bedrug.
  2. Create new, properly square electrical compartment lid. Utilize new to me at least triple 12V outlet, dual USB outlet / voltometer and switch panel. Replace voltometer with one of my existing dual USB charger / voltometers. Install monitoring panel. FWIW, I MAY rewire the inverter, and install the panels on the FRONT of the electrical compartment so I have an uninterrupted top surface for a night stand.
  3. Install wiring and Anderson connector for, and route to the truck bed for the DC to DC wiring, make the whip for the output to the charger side so the connection can be made when I...
  4. Install bed cabinet and electrical cabinet. The Solar Charge controller / DC to DC charger must be installed in the cabinet before it is joined to the bed cabinet due to where the screws end up... Load it up / connect is all up...
  5. Install blackout LED tails, and high output LED reverse light bulbs. That will finish the blackout lighting.
  6. Install mattress.
  7. Install something to act as a curtain rod holder, and curtain rods. I don't want those paper thin floppy cafe rods, I will likely try to find literally 3/8" or 1/2" round aluminum rod long enough to do the job. Drill and tap the ends for a retainer screw so that they are kept by the hangers... Size up, and sew up curtains. I could just size up and sew up some relying on velcro, but I want them adjustable for when I want the windows open and a breeze in the camper...
  8. Load up and go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior