The old 1999 build thread

snare

Adventurer
Ok, your raving testimony has convinced me.

A buddy and I tore into the Montero's front end to replace all ball joints, all TREs, pitman arm, and install the ADD Chromoly Idler arm kingpin upgrade.

Turns out the UCA bushings are shot. LCA bushings seemed ok.

This thing rode so well with worn ball joints AND worn UCA bushings, I am itching to feel it when it is all refreshed.

So, I ordered some Siberian UCA bushings from ADD. Looking forward to getting them in. LCAs will be done eventually.

And as for working on the Montero's front end. My buddy (a 3rd Gen 4Runner owner) was very impressed.

He said "Ive had harder times getting into a package of peanuts than changing those ball joints".

Clutch Cargo

Observer
You're right (almost)
The majority would be perfect with Marks 2.72 kit, which you need more than you need an RD110. If anyone is planning on a front locker or 33"+ tires get the Aussie gear kit FIRST. Trust me less strain on the truck and capability far exceeding a front locker and stock 1.90:1 T-case gearing.
Aussie gear kit? That diffs or tcase and where can I find it??

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
It's a transfer case gear kit from Australia, they install into your existing T-case. They can be had in 2.72:1 and 3.15:1, they company that makes them is Marks4WD. Advanced Adapters deals in them here in the US, I'm trying to become a dealer for them myself so we can get some better deals.

Clutch Cargo

Observer
It's a transfer case gear kit from Australia, they install into your existing T-case. They can be had in 2.72:1 and 3.15:1, they company that makes them is Marks4WD. Advanced Adapters deals in them here in the US, I'm trying to become a dealer for them myself so we can get some better deals.
Ahhh, gotcha. That would be cool. Will the 3.15 gears be available again for the gen 2.5?

Toasty

Yeah, a fair amount of lobbying from the Triton 4x4 guys, a few of us here in the states it seems they are back (for now) so in order to keep it that way they need to sell. One of the more difficult parts of the 3.15's is getting them from Australia, some guys have been able to just order them online and have them show up while others including myself have had to get an Aussie to buy them local amd then ship them to the States. Nobody that i know of has been burned by Mark's4wd and they make a very high quality product i just think the US is the very small end of their market.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Yeah, a fair amount of lobbying from the Triton 4x4 guys, a few of us here in the states it seems they are back (for now) so in order to keep it that way they need to sell. One of the more difficult parts of the 3.15's is getting them from Australia, some guys have been able to just order them online and have them show up while others including myself have had to get an Aussie to buy them local amd then ship them to the States. Nobody that i know of has been burned by Mark's4wd and they make a very high quality product i just think the US is the very small end of their market.

The 3.15s require light clearancing, right?

Toasty

Yeah, maybe 3/8x1" section on the shift rail boss inside the case. It's really easy, anyone with a grinder can do it.

Toasty

Sure is! AND we have 3.15 gears again for anyone who wants them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94