The old 1999 build thread

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Shaking it down for the Sierras this summer, i'm loving it! This is the best this truck has ever been and I've still got some big plans for it. Glad I kept it LEGIT!

resize1.jpgresize2.jpgresize3.jpg

Toasty

20180413_125605.jpg20180413_125733.jpg

Installed my Viair compressor in an ammo box to keep it protected and easy to switch trucks. I also have a long hose for it, this thing is a beast!

20180503_091040.jpg

Upgraded the condenser fan (and the one on my Gen 1)

Toasty

Resized_20170815_132343.jpeg
Resized_20170815_132355.jpeg

20170505_103143.jpg
Kind of forgot where I was on this thread, man i left out a bunch! Like my front locker install! Which turned out fantastic! I'll post pics of the trick spot i put the compressor. *Also i run MZ320345 Diaqueen SAE 90 in my diffs, the 75w-85 was leftover so i used it for a rinse.

Last edited:

Toasty

20180527_113808.jpg

ARB compact compressor fits neatly under the intake hose without touching.

Toasty

a 12" universal fan for the Gen 2 condenser fan rebuild and a 10" for the Gen 1, I also bought a 7" fan for the Gen 2 oil cooler.

Toasty

Trying to shake this hog down before the Sierra Nevada Challenge, took it on a mild trail yesterday to look for geodes. Nothing exciting and 4WD was barely required but I did learn my battery can't keep up with my winch any more, after 10 years of service it falls on its face after about 3' of hard pulling. I wanted to unearth a boulder in a quarry just to see how the winch rebuild went but i didn't have the power. I did learn i should have pre stretched the new line and should have wrapped it pulling a medium load. What i thought was a tight wrap wasn't enough to support the outer layer of line under load so it went straight to the drum. I pulled '90 feet of line and respooled it when i got home by pulling a Montero with the E brake partially applied.
It was super hot out in the afternoon, cooling system was just adequate. I couldn't run A/C on hill climbs but without A/C it did the job. It was only in the mid 100's but stagnant down in the valley, I've never seen the outside temp gauge climb so high (black bumper).
We did find some neat quartz geodes and there were a bunch of goldfish in the quarry lake so that was really neat. All in all I'm glad i i took the truck out otherwise i might have found the winch stuff out the hard way.
20180611_082709.jpg20180611_082634.jpg20180610_132751.jpg

AZPAJERO

Observer
Good stuff. That new condensor fan looks the biz. I"m interested in learning more 'bout this oil cooler fan you speak of........

Toasty

I still need to mount the little fan, been debating certain things about that. I did install a new shackle mount for my winch, its a lot bigger than i thought it would be. Kind of dumb looking but if it functions the way it should that's all that matters. It takes a 3/4” pin shackle wich kind of sucks because now i need one of those, all mine were 1/2”.

20180618_182142.jpg

Toasty

After a bunch of years of weird tubular rear bumpers and a very short lived boat side i'm finally working an an actual rear bumper for my machine. I didn't want to give up the clearance i had with the boatsides so i cut up to the bottom of the tail light. Here it is so far, working on the wrap around now and tomorrow i'll do the bottom then the internal ribbing to strengthen it up. The D-rings are getting 86'd and replaced with some rope safe V shaped snatch points, after i get this done i'll paint it and do the body work while that dries. Still debating on integrating the little PIAA reverse lights or going back to Euro taillights.

20180716_150847.jpg20180718_123335.jpg

Toasty

After a bunch of days delayed I got back at the bumper build, just one more inside plate but i ran oot of steel. To stay productive i went ahead and finished the outside so it's basically ready for paint. It will be welded to the tow flange, frame rails and additional legs to the side of the frame behind the rear tires and then its ready to bash. Not my best work but considering I'm running out of time (needs to be done tomorrow), building with scraps and cutting/forming by hand/hammer it's looking pretty OK.

Before I can install this hog i need to do the body work from the body chop. Hopefully I have enough sheet for this so I don't have to cannibalize a hood or something.20180720_151212.jpg20180725_114621.jpg20180725_114657.jpg

Reactions: tlr

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Oh wow, that rear bumper is gonna be stout! Can't wait to see the finished product and I don't know how you can possibly stand welding in this heat?!

Toasty

It was really hot yesterday, i was in the shade but wearing a thick jacket. Sweat was just pouring out of me to then point where it was dripping off my face and clothes. I hope to finish it today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier