The old 1999 build thread

raysobi

Adventurer
Adam is making a front bumper for all of us but he just doesn’t know it yet.

Awesome build man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Thanks, I wish i had the tools i have at my shop because i would make some really cool bumpers for everyone!

raysobi

Adventurer
Thanks, I wish i had the tools i have at my shop because i would make some really cool bumpers for everyone!

I’m just pulling your legs lol. We are enjoying your project from afar, keep it coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I recently starting sending some parts through a local laser cutting shop here in Denver (totally unrelated to Montero's) but the prices were far lower than I had initially anticipated. If we could get some cad drawings floating around people could cut their bumpers out locally and find somebody to weld them up, which might be cheaper than buying an ARB or getting a full custom fab.

If you have the laser shop "stitch cut" the folds, you can actually fold up 0.25" steel by hand (well by hammer anyways) and it makes it way easier to hold everything in place for the final welds. Particularly if you're not a great welder it's a convenient way to build stuff since you fold it up like origami and then hit it with a fluxcore/mig welder and you're on your way...

I'm still trying to figure out how I can justify the purchase of a multi-process welder, because I would normally want to Tig stuff, but every once in a while you just need a mig gun...

Toasty

20180915_132302.jpg20180917_115036.jpg20180917_123256.jpg20180917_123211.jpg

Well, that came apart easy. I need to buy or make a special balljoint spanner socket tomorrow to get the knuckles off but these Dana 44's are super easy to work on. Time to clean the pieces.

Toasty

Getting to cleaning things up, the dust shields are trashed so I cut them off and bead blasted the brackets. Cleaned up the spindles, axle nuts and wire wheeled the housing.
20180917_191706.jpg
20180918_112028.jpg
20180918_130306.jpg
20180918_130410.jpg

Still waiting on the balljoint spanner socket to remove the knuckles, then I'll give those the treatment and install the new balljoints.

PROGRESS!

Last edited:

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
If you've got it that stripped down, you may want to go ahead and pull the ring gear and replace the inner seals. They are notorious for wearing out after axles are pulled in and out a few times. Sucks when you flex it out and gear oil goes out one side. Otherwise you'll have to pull it down to the level you have it now if you do it later.

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
Also, I don't know what your plan is for steering geometry, but keep an eye out for 10-bolt axles that have dual flat tops. You can then run high steering with a knuckle change. Knowing my axle will hit before my tie rod is very comforting.

Toasty

Once i truss the axle it's getting all new gears, bearings, seals and ARB air locker. As for knuckles I'm running the stock inverted T steering until i can afford Reid knuckles then it's getting crossover steering but not high steer. High steer is tricky on a Montero due to how low slung these trucks are and keeping it low is a big deal for me. With the Reids and low crossover steering I'll use 7075 aluminum for steering links but i haven't settled on GM 1 ton or 80 series TREs. We'll see how much lift this swap forces on me because that coild change things.

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
For TRE's for that thing I'd go with common 1-tons. Easy to find and replace for low cost. They are sturdy as hell. I ran 1-ton TRE's on my crawler for about 10+ years of brutal abuse before I changed them. Depending on your setup, you may like HEIMS, but they are expensive for good ones with inserts so you don't rattle down the highway. And you can't exactly get those at an automotive store.

Definitely take pictures as you go, I'd like to see your setup when done. I'd also like to see your planned ARB compressor location.

EDIT: Are you running the stock shafts and U-joints? What size tires?

Last edited:

Toasty

For TRE's for that thing I'd go with common 1-tons. Easy to find and replace for low cost. They are sturdy as hell. I ran 1-ton TRE's on my crawler for about 10+ years of brutal abuse before I changed them. Depending on your setup, you may like HEIMS, but they are expensive for good ones with inserts so you don't rattle down the highway. And you can't exactly get those at an automotive store.

Definitely take pictures as you go, I'd like to see your setup when done. I'd also like to see your planned ARB compressor location.

EDIT: Are you running the stock shafts and U-joints? What size tires?

I'm sticking with TRE's, no heims of any sort on this truck because steering/suspension slop and or rattles drive me crazy. I found some solutions for tie rod roll from Ruff Stuff so that makes the 1 tons more doable.
Stock spicer shafts and unis for now, long term is upgrading to RCV's. I only have 35's now but I'll go to 37's with the RCV's, the Montero CV's could hang with 37's but i don't know that a 1310 axle uni will like that much. The good thing about a D44 is a ton of upgrade options for it, the main thing now is to have awesome suspension and the housing built. I can wheel on that then things like RCVs, Reid knuckles and crossover steering i can do under the truck on a weekend once i have the money.

Here is my compressor location, it fits right under the intake hose without touching.
20180527_113808.jpg

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
I'm sticking with TRE's, no heims of any sort on this truck because steering/suspension slop and or rattles drive me crazy. I found some solutions for tie rod roll from Ruff Stuff so that makes the 1 tons more doable.
Stock spicer shafts and unis for now, long term is upgrading to RCV's. I only have 35's now but I'll go to 37's with the RCV's, the Montero CV's could hang with 37's but i don't know that a 1310 axle uni will like that much. The good thing about a D44 is a ton of upgrade options for it, the main thing now is to have awesome suspension and the housing built. I can wheel on that then things like RCVs, Reid knuckles and crossover steering i can do under the truck on a weekend once i have the money.

Sweet, sounds like you've been around the bend before, so I'll shut up. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles