The old reseating a tire bead with lighter fluid trick. Bad idea?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Many people have used the starting fluid technique without incident. It's like anything else. If you don't know what your're doing it can be dangerous. Like crossing the steet or eating a steak.

The ratchet strap technique can be dangerous too. What if the strap snaps when pressurizing the tire? The buckle could fly around and take out an eye......

Life is full of dangers. It's a matter of minimizing them by using your head.

emmodg

Adventurer
Never seen internal tire damage when using either. I've used it on UTV, ATV, and motorcycle tires and never damaged those.

Know what you're doing. It's just that simple.

GREENI

Adventurer
If you notice on my video, they had already tried putting the winch rope around the centre of the tyre (tire) :)
Which didn't work.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Well, then ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but

I've never been unable to reseat BOTH beads, using the pneumatic bead expander-

The EVEN air pressure, will apply a uniform circumferential pressure, causing the beads to seat naturally-

Sometimes in a dry field, it's not advisable to use the flame/gas method !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

emmodg

Adventurer
Well, you better write to Detroit Diesel, Case, Perkins, John Deere etc., and let them know they don't know what they are doing.

Settle down Antichrist....

Glow plugs? No don't use it.

Modern CR engines rely less and less on glow plugs. Use it sparingly.... Is it an emergency? Yeah, I suppose use it as it's better than walking. Walk up to a brand new Cat, Detroit, Case, or even a Yanmar and load it with either? Good luck. Holding a gas soaked rag over the intake would be even better. I've seen people wait for the GP timer to turn the GP's off then 1 small shot. But I have NEVER seen a diesel engine builder recommend using starting fluid on a diesel. What's wrong with WD40?

How many of the aforementioned engines do you work on on a regular basis? Not trying to get in an argument. Just asking.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Glow plugs? No don't use it.
That's why I said "it depends on the diesel". Yes, glow plugs should be disconnected as well as manifold heaters if so equipped. Direct injection engines are more forgiving than indirect when using ether.

But I have NEVER seen a diesel engine builder recommend using starting fluid on a diesel.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/DETROIT+DIESEL+INTRODUCES+DDEC+ETHER+START-a016648399
Deere also has/had kits.
Here's a company that makes kits certified by a significant number of diesel engine builders, along with the DOD, http://www.quickstart-ether.com/products

Nothing wrong with WD40 as far as I know. I use it in my 2-cycle engines when they are being cantankerous.

How many of the aforementioned engines do you work on on a regular basis? Not trying to get in an argument. Just asking.
None recently, but 25 or so years ago I worked in the shop for one of the largest road builders/quarry operators in New England. We had a few diesels there we worked on.

Basically it's like using ether to seat a bead, you need to know what you're doing.

Last edited:

emmodg

Adventurer
Wow.

So you're comparing EDC-based systems which control multi-shot injections to "Joe" in his driveway with a can of either?

Got a diesel engine in your driveway or out in the middle of nowhere CR or direct injection? Don't use either if you don't have to. WD40 is muuuuuuuuuuuuch safer. (Unless you're rolling with Antichrist and have an elaborate EDC/ECM based cold start injection system)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior