The old reseating a tire bead with lighter fluid trick. Bad idea?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Mick O

Thanks for the video and comments on the repair kit. I've never had to use butane or lighter fluid to reseat a bead and I noticed in the video that the tyre's valve core was removed before igniting the butane. Makes sense and I'm not sure that I would have thought of doing it. :sombrero:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Mick O

Thanks for the video and comments on the repair kit. I've never had to use butane or lighter fluid to reseat a bead and I noticed in the video that the tyre's valve core was removed before igniting the butane. Makes sense and I'm not sure that I would have thought of doing it. :sombrero:

You have to or there's a possibility it will explode.:Wow1:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
You have to or there's a possibility it will explode.:Wow1:

Exactly! In the videos that I have seen so far I'm not sure that that point was explicitly made. Anyone trying these tricks had better think through the whole process step by step, recognize the dangers and plan accordingly. (and have fun! LOL)

micko

Cheers Jim,

we have a few rules around using this method which I've cut directly out of a write up and a few videos I've done on the subject (including what goes wrong!) Caution and common sense must be exercised at all times. If you use this method you do so at your own risk.

If you only have to re-seat one side of the tyre, use less gas than you would if reseating both. Remember that Butane is heavier than air and will pool in the bottom of the tyre.

1. Take the can of butane out of your little camp cooker. Place the nozzle from a can of WD40 (flyspray can, anything) on the top.

2. Take the valve out of the tyre but keep it and the 'supatool' handy.

3. Brush a little soapy water around the bead of the tire and make sure that the bead and rim is clear of any dirt, twigs etc.

4. With a packet of matches handy and one out ready to light, spay the butane inside the tyre and then stand back and light and throw match. KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY from the bead.

5. Stand well clear of the valve stem of the tyre. This method may cause the tyre valve or parts thereof to blow off the tyre. A folded towel or similar could be placed over the valve to contain such a situation but keep it clear of the bead. This has occurred to others using expanding vapour ignition in this way. The other thing to watch is the balance weights which may fly off as a result of the procedure!

6. Tyre will expand onto the rim due to the expanding vapour ignition. The tyre will suck the displaced air back through the valve. Allow it to do this then scew in the valve, attach your compressor and get pumping.

One other piece of advice, if it doesn't go 'pop' the first time, make sure the lit match that has fallen inside the tyre is out before you reapply the butane. While this is an easy method and works well there is always potential for disaster and it should only be used as a method of last resort.

I don't endorse it. It remains a bush remedy and techniqe for a difficult situation and NOT something to be used in the driveway at home when you have a tyre fitter just around the corner.

Butane Blog

http://www.exploroz.com/Members/92954.75/11/2010/Reseating_a_tubeless_tyre_using_butane_gas_and_oth er_volatile_substances_-_Updated_Mar_2013.aspx?p=%2fMembers%2f92954.75%2fM yBlog.aspx

[video=vimeo;2512838]http://vimeo.com/2512838[/video]

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I do understand that there are dangers and that I am responsible for my own actions. :elkgrin:

Having said that, we all have to start somewhere which includes asking all of the "silly" questions and then actually practicing the various techniques in the driveway: ratchet, lighter fluid/butane, high volume air tank, etc. :ylsmoke: I also watched Martyn & Mario's tire repair videos at Adventure Trailers to understand more about this topic.

youwillforget

Adventurer
Strap worked Friday morning at 4am when ice on I80 in Nebraska put us in the ditch on the way to Moab for Easter Jeep Safari.P3220022.jpg
P3220023.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior