The Old Wood Hauler: 1983 Toyota 4WD Build/Restoration

Derek24

Explorer
Bump!

A non expo member friend of mine just bought, actually traded for, this truck and this build is his inspiration...

Wow nice truck, so clean and stock! Tell your buddy he traded well and that he needs some solid steelies! Also he needs to start a build page here.

lndhark

Adventurer
Wow nice truck, so clean and stock! Tell your buddy he traded well and that he needs some solid steelies! Also he needs to start a build page here.

Those actually look to be stock (chrome) steel wheels found on SR5's of that era.

A truck just like that one was my inspiration (as a kid, mind you :sombrero:) to get into Toyota trucks. A neighbor had an '81 short bed SR5 (grey, silver stripes, chrome steelies) and we'd go all over Death Valley, Anza-Borrego...

I'll echo Derek's remarks...nice find. BUILD. THREAD. NOW! :coffeedrink:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Yep, those are stock SR5 wheels--could be original. Those are the ones I'm running. Is that a longbed? I kind of hope he doesn't "build" it.

huntsonora

Explorer
Yep, those are stock SR5 wheels--could be original. Those are the ones I'm running. Is that a longbed? I kind of hope he doesn't "build" it.

I agree, I told him to keep this truck as original as possible and told him that I would follow Derek's build as a template for what to do. He was bummed about a little rust in the bed and I told him to get it fixed and to not put a flatbed on it as he said he wanted to do.

I'll tell him to start a build thread asap so we can all plead with him to keep that truck as stock as possible

Derek24

Explorer
Right on! It is amazing how capable these trucks are in stock form. I may, just may be getting another one all stock and original owner from an old man out in the sticks of napa county. He's my uncles neighbor and he is hinting of selling it. If he does I'm keeping it all original!

Derek24

Explorer
Well not too much going on. Been having some stuttering issues under load on the freeway while climbing hills. Changed the cap, rotor, and spark plug wires. Changed the spark plugs almost a year ago and solved the problem for a bit before it started up again on out last trip to the ranch last week. Stop at autozone on the way down and changed the fuel filter and air cleaner. Seems to be back to running perfect. We will see.

Other than that, I recently installed 5" front shackles to get a little more lift. The ride is a lot better. For some reason right after my front passenger bilstein blew! Was not because of the added lift, that's all good, must be a lemon. So I'll call bilstein and see what they can do, either way a new shock is on order!

Other big news, picked up a clean unmolested 1984 4wd yesterday. Pretty clean and loaded for that year: power windows, AC, sunroof, CB radio. Needs a little TLC, but nothing major. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. Anyways here's some pics...

image.jpg1_zpsnf36l70f.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsioyulxjy.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsuwp81dgq.jpg

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Glad this thread was brought back up! Lol

I was on my way home from work in the ole '81 and was thinking, "I need another one of these first gens that is completely stock and unmolested, just like Derek24's." I hope on ExPo when I get home and... BAM! I've been looking, but I'm nearly convinced that my '81 is one of the cleanest in the southeast.. I know of two other that are close to being as clean, one is actually a little cleaner and they would never sell them.

I think its a sign from the good Lord :D one for wheeling, one for sunday cruising.. (Though I've had my eye on a clean 60 that an "acquaintance" has & it may become my stock sunday cruiser)

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
That thing looks like Swiss cheese. Oh wait no it doesn't. So much for that theory. I still love your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior