The Perfect Brew........!

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
kcowyo said:
If it's free, it's for me....
Next time I see you I'll be sure and bring some more interesting Wisconsin beer that I can't seem to bring myself to drink. And you know if they don't drink it in Wisconsin...da*n is it bad^H^H^Hfree.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
OK, i'll be the guy who mentions Budweiser, all the gals in my Trailer Park love it.. :peepwall:

Occasionally when i'm tired of such i'll grab a Molson X.

Guess i'm just not very sophisticated ....:hehe:

Mark, seriously you nailed it and i couldnt agree more. :beer:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Why didn't I see this thread earlier??? Must have been drinking!:beer:
Being a home brewer, I am always experimenting and there are a lot of interesting complex recipes but when it comes right down to it, nothing tastes better after a long dusty, sweating day of hard work than a good clean, crisp lager. My fave which is hard to get in the states is:

Tusker Malt Lager
http://www.eabl.com/eawinner.asp?pcat=BRANDS&cat=TUSKER&sid=23
After some time in the bush, nothing goes down sweeter!

In the absence of Tusker, on a hot day, Stella Artois. What's not to like from a country that's all about beer & chocolate!
http://www.stellaartois.com/index.html

...but then there is beer memories are made from, I met my sweet Anne over a pint (okay, more than one) of Lagunitas IPA.
http://www.lagunitas.com/
...close your eyes as you're tilting your head back for that first sip and you'd swear you're wearing a Pith helmet in the colonies...I wax poetic...a damn fine IPA mate!

One of these days we'll have to do a "Beer Expedition" where everyone brings their faves and we sample...preferably we make the destination a good water source e.g. a mineral spring, we'll pack the brewing equipment and make an Expo Lager, bury the primary, return in a few weeks for the secondary, bury the primed kegs and return 3 months later for the uncorking party....now that would be one helluva geocache!

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
elcoyote said:
Why didn't I see this thread earlier??? Must have been drinking!:beer:
Being a home brewer, I am always experimenting and there are a lot of interesting complex recipes but when it comes right down to it, nothing tastes better after a long dusty, sweating day of hard work than a good clean, crisp lager. My fave which is hard to get in the states is:

Tusker Malt Lager
http://www.eabl.com/eawinner.asp?pcat=BRANDS&cat=TUSKER&sid=23
After some time in the bush, nothing goes down sweeter!

In the absence of Tusker, on a hot day, Stella Artois. What's not to like from a country that's all about beer & chocolate!
http://www.stellaartois.com/index.html

...but then there is beer memories are made from, I met my sweet Anne over a pint (okay, more than one) of Lagunitas IPA.
http://www.lagunitas.com/
...close your eyes as you're tilting your head back for that first sip and you'd swear you're wearing a Pith helmet in the colonies...I wax poetic...a damn fine IPA mate!

One of these days we'll have to do a "Beer Expedition" where everyone brings their faves and we sample...preferably we make the destination a good water source e.g. a mineral spring, we'll pack the brewing equipment and make an Expo Lager, bury the primary, return in a few weeks for the secondary, bury the primed kegs and return 3 months later for the uncorking party....now that would be one helluva geocache!

Great post! :hehe:

I am down with the Beer Expedition. I didn't know you home brewed... :bowdown: Reminds me of a time that a very good friend and myself backpacked the spine of the Chiricahuas. On the way out we hoofed it down to one of our favorite springs along the route, and packed out enough of the water for a batch of homebrew. Wes made some cool labels for the bottles too - "Chiricahua Wheat" :beer:

Speaking of fond memories, waaaaay back when Nimbus Brewery in Tucson was just a ragtag warehouse with some salvation army furniture and RHCP posters on the walls... they made some batch of some freaking incredible brew that I will never forget - (except for the name LOL). It had the word "Old" in it if I remember correctly. I have no idea if they have made it since, or if they kept the recipe - I need to get back down there and find out.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Chris, Nimbus is still a ragtag warehouse, and they still make good beer!

Mario: Apparently Tanzania used to have a very fine domestically brewed pale ale. Ever hear of or have it? It might have died with independence.

And regarding atmosphere, taste, and memories: Possibly the single best beer I ever had was a Pacifico, two of which I chilled carefully in a package with slivers of dry ice and stuffed secretly in my sea kayak when a friend and I made a crossing of about 12 miles to an island in the Sea of Cortez. When we hit the beach I said, "How about a nice cold beer?" He said, "Oh, yeah, sure!" I pulled them out, still icy, and he was my slave for the rest of the trip.

articulate

Expedition Leader
These stories rock:
elcoyote said:
BajaTaco said:
Reminds me of a time that a very good friend and myself backpacked the spine of the Chiricahuas. On the way out we hoofed it down to one of our favorite springs along the route, and packed out enough of the water for a batch of homebrew. Wes made some cool labels for the bottles too - "Chiricahua Wheat" :beer:
Jonathan Hanson said:
Possibly the single best beer I ever had was a Pacifico, two of which I chilled carefully in a package with slivers of dry ice and stuffed secretly in my sea kayak when a friend and I made a crossing of about 12 miles to an island in the Sea of Cortez. When we hit the beach I said, "How about a nice cold beer?" He said, "Oh, yeah, sure!" I pulled them out, still icy, and he was my slave for the rest of the trip.

The the standards for great adventure are in place now, and morphing everyday. Here's to you, the pioneers! :beer:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
All very quotable stuff! I think we may have the first makings of the first volume of the Expo Beer Chronicles.

Thinking of famous beer quotes, my all time favorite is merely a statement of fact from Ben Franklin:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".

Hey Chris, have you got a good remote AZ water source in mind? Seriously wanting to do this.

Jonathon, bring your empty mug...I am remembering your lonely coffee mug at Black Mtn LOL

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

This is a very Kewl idea.........!

So when you pass out Tickets.........just remember who the "Father" of .........."The Perfect Brew........!" Thread is!...........:beer: .........:friday: ...........:sombrero:

flywgn

Explorer
I love that quote attributed to Ben Franklin, Mario.

As an English major (undergrad) I spent a lot of time delving into the small parts of Shakespeare...therefore Falstaff became a 'close' friend...and managed to find myriad references to beer and stout drink.

A tattered index card still has John Cade's promise 'if he were king' (Henry VI, Part II) when he joins in the conversation of a group lamenting the woes of 'everyman'--I will make it felony to drink small beer.

Now there's a man I can vote for. :victory:

Meanwhile, back to the boxes. :box:

Allen

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
elcoyote said:
All very quotable stuff! I think we may have the first makings of the first volume of the Expo Beer Chronicles.

Thinking of famous beer quotes, my all time favorite is merely a statement of fact from Ben Franklin:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".

Hey Chris, have you got a good remote AZ water source in mind? Seriously wanting to do this.

Jonathon, bring your empty mug...I am remembering your lonely coffee mug at Black Mtn LOL

LOL

Hmmm... I will give it some thought. I imagine you would prefer something between here and there, no? Closer to CA border?

Mark, yes indeed - a good topic you have started here.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
flywgn said:
A tattered index card still has John Cade's promise 'if he were king' (Henry VI, Part II) when he joins in the conversation of a group lamenting the woes of 'everyman'--I will make it felony to drink small beer.

NICE! :victory:

blupaddler

Conspirator
O.k...

Thanks to KC and another thread. I finally found this thread.

My current favorites are (in no certain order)
Lost Coast Brewery Downtown Brown
Guiness
Lagunitas Copper Ale (just found this one)
Ballast Point Yellow Tail Ale
Pacifico on those hot summer days

jkam

nomadic man
I usually drink Tequila on the rocks with a lime squeezed in. Don Julio Blanco being my favorite.

I don't drink much beer, but I have to have a few with pizza and mexican food.

Negra Modelo is Mexico's best.
Franzikaner Heffe on a hot summer day.
Arrogant Bastard to get hammered fast.

In the old days, Leopard from New Zealand.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Well, I am not much of a Beer drinker. In fact, the amount I drink per YEAR is probably less than the typical Saturday night intake for a college kid.

But I have a couple I like enough to occasionally pick up one or two.

I admit that I have not gotten a chance to try, or have even ever heard of a lot of the brews mentioned here.

I will also admit that my favorites (as of now...always open to try something new) are both from larger breweries, one even from the dreaded St. Louis brewery of Anheuser Busch....:peepwall:

1) JW Dundee's Original Honey Brown
2) Budweiser Select in the aluminum can (Regular Bud makes me want to gag...I was surprised how much mellower Bud Select tastes)
3) As a general rule, I like things with a lighter taste. Heavy tasting beers are just not for me.

Robthebrit

Explorer
Pacifico with lime is a great hot weather, camping on the beach type of beer.

I was born in Burton on Trent which is the home town of Bass beer and many others so I have a thing for Draught Bass but the old Bass was better than the new. They had to switch yeast when the moved to industrial sized closed fermenters. Worthington is their premium draught and its not readily availiable on tap in the states and its not the same out of a can.

One of my favorite beers is Marston's Pedigree which is a darker draught pale ale and has the consistency and head of guiness. Its the only large scale commercial beer that is still brewed the old fashioned way of using Unions (wood barrels linked together), they are commonly called the Burton Unions. It is available on tap in the US but its rare, if you come across it give it a try.

http://www.shamburg.com/marstons.html

Other great but less common English beers which you can find in the US are Theakstons Old Peculier and Old Speckled Hen.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior