The perfect tire.

andytruck

Observer
Make then 255/80/17 or 85/17 and you will sell out. There is a shortage of this size, but yea, as stated above, Cooper makes this already, though it is pretty soft rubber, so not ideal for highway.

andytruck

Observer
The Mastercraft CXT comes in 255/85r16 and 285/70r17.

Many drivers want a tall skinny tire on a 17. 285 is not skinny. 285 will not work on most duallys either. 255 would be a good off-road width, not snow or ice maybe, but dirt n rock, and would be more efficient on highway. Im still waiting.

Kevin108

Explorer
The BFG AT tread is troublesome on-road because the parenthetical tread pattern traps water instead of providing an efficient, low-pressure exit path.

I have considered something like what the OP is talking about though. My solution was taking a Super Swamper TSL and instead of having smooth-faced tread blocks, put in a street tire tread pattern. :D

besttireevar.jpg

Bikemobile

Adventurer
Goodyear_WranglerDuraTrac_lg_800x800.jpg

Goodyear Duratrac. Loving mine so far, better in loose /packed snow than my grabber AT2's were. Quieter on road also.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Another S/T Maxx vote...

If only the DuraTrac still came in an E load...

deadbeat son

Explorer
Designing the perfect tire has eluded tire makers for decades, because no one tire can truly do everything well. I want an all terrain tire because like most people, most of the miles I drive are on paved roads, and I need good snow traction as well. However, I also want a mud terrain, because slick mud is one of the quickest ways to get stuck, and here in the Midwest, there never seems to be a shortage of mud around.

My idea is simple, combine the two. I took my inspiration off the BF Goodrich line using the KO2 tread in the center, and the KM2 tread blocks on the outer edges. Don't see why they never offer a tire like this.

Your ideal tire reminds me of the old Dunlop Radial Rover RT. I really wish they hadn't discontinued them back in '08 or '09.

19-dunvl8.ang.jpg

dumprat

Adventurer
Bfg made almost this exact tire for a decade or so. The bfg Trac edge. Worked awesome in almost all conditions. I had a set of 235/85r16's on an F150 before anybody ever heard of overlanding.

They dropped the tread pattern down into their sport king line up and then killed it a few years ago.

dumprat

Adventurer
Duratrac are in my opinion junk.

I had them in a 33 on my jeep LJ and I cut two tires through the treadblock to the rim lip on one loose rock on a logging road. This happened at ten Kph while bear hunting.

30 Klicks out of the bush on three tires (only one spare) just plain sucked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles