The quest for the perfect family (5 of us) overlanding/camping setup....

Anak

Stranger
We also have a family of five and love to camp.

We have a couple of tent systems and we have a pop-up.

There are pros and cons to everything.

The pop-up is more comfortable, but it slows us down when driving long distances, and it certainly is not an off-road option. If I am going more than a thousand miles from home I don't really want to be dragging it, or any other trailer, around behind me.

The more I camp the more I want to keep it simple, and the ground tent is my usual choice. Besides, with a family of five there are plenty of hands to help with assembly and disassembly.

But I do still want to build my own off-road teardrop just for the fun of it. I have yet to convince myself it is a wise decision, but that may not hold me back forever.

Lacy Hershey

Adventurer
Completely understand on your rant. I've gone back and forth a lot on this subject. I love getting out in my Jeep and having fun but camping with small kids can be very stressful. We did the tent camping adventure once when we only had my 1 year old daughter (but we also have 4 dogs that we bring with us). My husband said he would never do it again. I didn't think it was too bad but he didn't agree. So I started working on a plan for a trailer with RTT. Wasn't able to find a M416 but found a trailer out in Nashville for very little money and decided to fix it up. Since my husband didn't like the tent trip the first time, he was very hesitate about the trailer/RTT idea so my project was on a tight budget until I could get him on board. So instead of buying an actual RTT, I was able to purchase a double and a single tent cot. Tried them out before mounting and they slept horrible. Definitely would need some sort of pad. But after testing the cot, I completely lost him so we were on the search for a camper. Being that we have an F350, he was looking for a fifth wheel camper with slide outs galore . I wanted a pop up and something to pull behind the Jeep. Well after years of going back and forth, here is where we sit. 2 adults, 2 children (5 and 2), and 4 dogs (a grand total of 200lbs of dog) in a 2012 Visa by Gulfstream being pulled by a 2000 F-250 CCSB 2WD (sold the JKU and now have a YJ to play with). No slideouts which works great for being able to get to all your storage without setting up the camper. Also don't have to make sure to set everything up again when you get home if its wet. Truck topper for the dogs to ride/sleep in. Camper is 19' long and weighs a total of 3200lbs.

My trailer project
iXTxmijX-1nqaiJWqZbuWLoj_mAXPLhypY_LYvmDOgUIo17l8xRCdOxTDCyr4YCeRyNee0AlVhGBuRwFzk49MhSDWMBJX4BpJmO7tTnc7k7JzfUbZFLYGrwTj3stypnS5xMrBMBYMoq8Cxb9bmT-h2pSQ5L1Z9SnTjfF4HNAOeGI-0tY1VtFh9m2beg1IZKZdAWb4PzeVRtReYGogcqprMn_XaD8g1BEYQj9cYyEZrZQlyvuGkG79sW7G8nlBrnWxtIotwCqXrUIOKkt46ivN20rmCyqv2L7INpKaoUSgLIixVfaxDTZYTAdDf0B0VbL-N43BiD19DG-2i5J4p2pAYZNOwQ3JdpflLY42FcOfMq3UwEee6XhhmpFSKwCD6OqbfihEplIlUYlfqGrzsTmWB0539a-khz9cNaZ7MikYXnIyltS0Munj0uFfHVCHQ9XGVZQ43IpIt8mZx62_LeiFz53cjQCGLnLuX_pGDtcRU9bPu0zr_TJDEeh_obnp6A0hQfhy1a6dgIVnlwLEv7BMHsCAqQMrLvhmCxDZpFEV_1Cyd6jW8X_2h4U1zhPcJ07WeDwlmVYmrTNAP0U1qLQXjqt4qIvvImyLkfwRe4vIkrj6IobtgZ65g=w1206-h904-no

Camper
TsCyFPGs_7yvDJEbWpG-8q6WuOAvlqmMynKdsoIHnEzsA-Qx-lUBUkza-3L2OuOoc5RYZUoyklQ1E8OINeBQSVD2YpKpHtMOvcFwi99woMznacU_mRK3CvhzQQToBlt_kcM4tI89zTtWZZn28a-yMmFda40ntk-hhs8E6X_91z1CmpXcHsw8l8PtSpq_K2Oq_HN1zhjYJW9tJvRVBfgnsFgkMKpdIAJf4NMYz6BN8FaUrkImwfVBVkZiHk13XOHO66pEh0jMMIE1-ZyjKcAN5PE0Q0hpvS9CN8taEgqen6C9ZE6sMcxe7tLRqRddEZ8hN3yhFG6HV3wpymRQDWi2QqW4bPR6sMcz_GxtiyyIE_XzQsHSvQIIGQLjrEF25DI5Bq3byiHzO7tfO2ZymMjS1DrNHrgQmKispIa9sX0e0pghcuDLTx6v6G940Zb41mvT2lwDRuE50h3eC6fMHDnqltk4_06dgtSQeTxvxM0Tpw8Xok8L6WFT7VAYiE7GPMZEuVcgrqJTKfnz5677Z9gPTwJMha0bIoNp3E6qfGExPfN4M--vEwiVBDiy73GoQHdTFwBO8Kw-uW3NMwhpW24iFHMj5D_IDY9YkHBsqms05A_P_oZIQuCZEg=w1608-h904-no

Tow Rig( please ignore the dirt/salt)
pDZ_fwMWTR2Jj4zjew_QkqMvsU60rnVOZqI3Sl_sRGl3jAsDvLABIrFjvnGWO_Icpp6u5cTIDyAF_hLrjrMFvbUTaiv4YIM6RRelCznIEKNy1Pwwb1YoSM6cJfVggjEaR0BnLeCeIu36V7JFqCe9zeJLpyaSJ4mOdCYtGeQilDeY4-BZHRQVRTm8KGTxAcirLn7lZSJDLj_sbKzfhqb1aCWP3OgRPpPVGA5KNQc0wWzf70qGs8aUynPKB8lc3ktnAlTVNuWsC4THS5495pyfCMww-yKtdFT3NsZd71CzaBo8A8-MpkwxmliMW69E174QSMnYqA2Tf_PA_LMuVKWo8y_9czb4k8abY7rio93Lq9jP5Y7uCKd8V4P-YJkK_Kk9zNjwHxxvsTmT9y1JTVCxa36e-GJj6PhPktpAK_8zCdYAvnsXRuePlNgKMmFt7FdPL9YQsADWhvX734PH37_N0hh2oqF-rCcVYNziXNoJ3NkOkzkoyzNDHJZ99-RF4jVbea1PTqd8RtQXC3MxctsOTWOuwfSsh_hnfffsn21aUYI2SlngXAqHZT453wfq0k47ArWN8VxFTUea-kTWdVgeCDUAmSGq3DR-pmpIij6HYQikV0mriMGnoQ=w1608-h904-no

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Great discussion! I have a family of five also, kids (4, 4, 2). I have been thinking hard on this subject but don't have a lot of real world experience at this point. I really want to get out more as the kids get older.

We did rent a Coleman pop up once when the twins were about 14 months. We had a good time but only had to drive about 10 miles and stayed in one spot. Towed with our 100-series LC.

My goal is learn from all the great info here and try figure out what the best setup for our family is going to be. As much as I love our Cruisers, I'm trying not to get too invested in one particular vehicle until we have decided which path we are going to take.

The part where I'm probably OCD'ing a little is that I know our needs will change/develop overtime, but I want to get a system that for the most part is flexible and scalable for 2-5 people.

userg3

I'll be watching this, we are a family of four and I'm debating what to get. Leaning toward a dual option approach, a ground tent and a ~25 ft TT.

Pax2525

Adventurer
I don't think there is 1 perfect system that will work for everyone unfortunately. I keep looking at this forum to see if someone has found the answer but it hasn't happened yet.

Ill chime in on what my family of 5 has done. Now we have only become a family of 5 less than a yr ago. We are 5, 3, and 10 months roughly. We do a lot of 1 or 2 nights and then move on. So ideally we have something thats quick and easy to set up and tear down. Here is what we have done (in no particular order)

Tent:
Pros-Easy, economical, and can store easily.
Cons- Set up/ tear down every time you move, can be cold and wet, on the ground

Tent Trailer:
Pros- fairly cheap, pretty easy to store, opens up to a large camping area
Cons- Towing, Set up/ tear down can be tedious, cant really store things in it, has to set up to pack and unpack it
Overall- Tent trailer really do have an amazing place in the market. They really open up to a large camp area and are great. If you travel to the 1 site you camp and travel home, this is the money for you hands down! We have has pretty much every size and variation to the ones with storage box on outside to storage platforms for toys.

Travel Trailer Hybrid: See KZ Sportsmen 16BHT
Pros: hard sided trailer (mostly) for warmth, dryness, and security. Smaller package but opens up to large space when parked. Can be packed up without needed to do much
Cons: Still has canvas, Ours had the dinette in front of big bed so we had to climb over that (wife wasn't a fan of that)
Overall: This was actually a pretty sweet rig, I kinda regret selling it. The dinette was in front of the main bed which became a hassle but had bunkbeds for the kids which they loved.

Travel Trailer- Rear slide out, hard sided (See Keystone Outback 21RS)
Overall- Very similar pros and cons to Hybrid trailer minus the canvas. Ended up selling it because it had more damage then we liked probably shouldn't have bought it but had driven very far and didn't want to come home empty handed. Also really nice is you can camp anywhere from an actual campground to the IHOP parking lot waiting for it to open the next morning.

RTT: Maggiolina RTT
Pros: No towing, easy set up, pretty cool head turner, could keep bedding inside ready to go
Cons: Not big enough for 4 becoming 5, expensive, storage since we didn't keep on full time, always needs a buddy to load
Overall: These things are bad *****. Super easy set up and I'm tempted to buy 2 and be done. Kids in 1 and mom/dad in the other. I just can't imagine having to find someone to help load these every time we camp.

Four Wheel Camper- Had a couple versions from a Hawk (full Camper) to Grandby Shell
Pros: No towing, easy set up, light weight
Cons: Price, Hawk was to tight with 5
Overall: I don't have a 8' bed truck so the grandby didn't fit right, the hawk was awesome but to tight for 5. Ideally if I could find a Hawk Shell model I could have the kids all sleep up top (sleep north south instead of east west) and my wife and I could sleep below on a bed platform type device with all camp gear below.

What we've learned overall so far is that it is nice to have space for the kids to hang out when its not ideal outside. We have also realized that having designated beds that don't need to be set up every time we stop is really nice and convenient. We have also see how nice it is to have a toilet for the kids to do quick breaks in (especially 20 minutes after you made the last stop and asked them to pee there). Heaters- have I mentioned how much less babies cry when they aren't cold. We are blessed to have RV storage near our house that pretty dirt cheap. We may be headed back to a trailer sooner than later to meet most of those above demands the wife has..... isn't the saying Happy Wife, Happy Life! If I want to go camping the least I could do is cooperate.

Sorry for the long post but I hope others can learn from our experiences. Basically you just need to figure out your style of camping and go for it. We have tons of people ask us how we are able to camp with our kids and our initial response is always you just go. Know that its going to be different and get them kids out there.

mdcoa

Same problem set here--two adults, three kids (4, 3, and 1), and needing space. I took the two older kids to a rally in the fall and we slept in two backpacking tents. I woke up realizing that I'm too old to sleep on the ground.

Just got an Oztent Jet Tent F25X, which is basically a two-bedroom tent with a big old awning. It's huge. We'll put three kids in the back room and me and my wife on cots in the front room (nice to be able to keep kids from exfiltrating the tent and running around a highly-motorized campground in the dark--was why I didn't go with an RV-5 plus Tagalong).
Setup takes me about 20 min, including staking out everything. Takedown is similar, and getting better the more I practice. Tent is freaking heavy, but not like the one the OP mentioned--about 70 lbs, and will fit across the back of my Disco 1, allowing me to put light and bulky things on the roof rack (and stuff I won't kill myself trying to lower down from the rack). Haven't yet camped in it with the family, but will do so at the Uwharrie Safari in just over a week, and will report in. I suspect things like getting kids to go to sleep in a busy campground will be a far bigger issue than the tent.

HecklerJK

JJMAc, have you taken a look at Kakadu's trailer? I have two six year old boys and we really enjoy the off-road trips. Our trailer is Kakadu's prototype "NGX" and is incredibly beefy. For us, it was the right answer to your dilemma.

Www.kakaducamping.com - Matt is the owner and his customer service is second to none. There are a couple of different configurations.

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0174.jpg

Awkragt

Adventurer
Family of 5, soon to be 6. Ages 7, 5, 2, and another. So far tent camping, I've got a basic dome that I can setup in about 4 minutes by myself. Now having to put kids in the Landcruiser's 3rd row is going to change the storage situation significantly.

I've been looking into the teardrop with RTT. It seems like every teardrop at overland expo's got a RTT but I can't figure out if families of 4-6 really buy them and use them like that. Seems like a nice versatile setup but it would be nice to find some actual feedback from a big family using one. And is it really worth the extra expense over a pop up.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I've been thinking about a teardrop with RTT for my wife and I with three kids as well. I'd be interested to hear the same feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baletag

This is a great thread. We have a family of 5 with kids age 11, 9, and 6. Like most, we started with one ground tent which ended up being two ground tents. The pros and cons of that are well-documented. For us, the cons outweighed the pros and we knew we needed something else. I did a lot of research on the "off-road" pop-ups and am still intrigued by them. However, at that time, we decided that we didn't want to pull a trailer.

So, the best option for us seemed to be the RTT. We purchased the largest one we could find which is a CVT Mt. McKinley and the largest awning they have to go with it. The truck is a 2003 F-150 with a Leer topper. We are very well-satisfied and have probably spent 60+ nights in this setup over the past two years.

As with the ground tents, the pros and cons are pretty well spelled out by others in the thread. The Mt McKinley really is big and right now we have no trouble fittting all 5 us for the night. The space savings of just folding sleeping bags into it when you close it worth a lot. We have gotten to the point that setup and take down is about 10 minutes each.

However, as the kids get bigger, we know this setup is going to get cramped. What is the next step? Right now, we are leaning toward keeping the Mt. McKinley and getting an adventure trailer of some kind with a two-person RTT. The kids can have one and we can have the other.

Overall, this has been a great setup for us. While the RTT has been great, the best two pieces of equipment we have are the fridge and a bedside. My wife would be willing to go into debt to replace either one if needed!

By the way, these forums are the best way I've found it make the best informed decisions by far.

IMG_0204.jpg
This was last week at Carolina Beach State Park in North Carolina.

fjmario

Adventurer
This is a great thread. We have a family of 5 with kids age 11, 9, and 6. Like most, we started with one ground tent which ended up being two ground tents. The pros and cons of that are well-documented. For us, the cons outweighed the pros and we knew we needed something else. I did a lot of research on the "off-road" pop-ups and am still intrigued by them. However, at that time, we decided that we didn't want to pull a trailer.

So, the best option for us seemed to be the RTT. We purchased the largest one we could find which is a CVT Mt. McKinley and the largest awning they have to go with it. The truck is a 2003 F-150 with a Leer topper. We are very well-satisfied and have probably spent 60+ nights in this setup over the past two years.

As with the ground tents, the pros and cons are pretty well spelled out by others in the thread. The Mt McKinley really is big and right now we have no trouble fittting all 5 us for the night. The space savings of just folding sleeping bags into it when you close it worth a lot. We have gotten to the point that setup and take down is about 10 minutes each.

However, as the kids get bigger, we know this setup is going to get cramped. What is the next step? Right now, we are leaning toward keeping the Mt. McKinley and getting an adventure trailer of some kind with a two-person RTT. The kids can have one and we can have the other.

Overall, this has been a great setup for us. While the RTT has been great, the best two pieces of equipment we have are the fridge and a bedside. My wife would be willing to go into debt to replace either one if needed!

By the way, these forums are the best way I've found it make the best informed decisions by far.

View attachment 397812
This was last week at Carolina Beach State Park in North Carolina.

You ever think about putting two 2-3 person tents on there? Looks like you have the room for it.
018bdaa29bace602e45f735a31fee833.jpg

*photo found online

WheelsUp

Observer
I'm enjoying reading the experiences and opinions here. It is helping me think thru what I may do. I've got a family of 3, soon to be 4, with a pair of dogs and I'm considering a change in equipment.
What I'm currently using is a Browning Glacier tent (made by Alps Mountaineering) for the family and the dogs stay in the back of the truck.

Without the fly on:
IMAG0001.jpg

When I bought this, I was after a few things from a ground tent:
Ease of set-up - it only has 2 poles used in an X pattern that I'm used to from my smaller tents. This makes set-up fairly easy solo.
A full-size rain fly - it rains a fair bit in VA, and I've never been a fan of those little roof bikinis most family tents have. They don't help much in a blowing rain.
A vestibule area - having even a small area under the fly to "de-gear" after adventures in the mud or rain is quite nice.
Sturdy - This thing uses 1in aluminum poles and thicker fabrics than what I've seen from tents sub $500. It also has a place to snap-in an inner floor liner.

It's not that heavy and fits easily back into the carrying bag, but it's still a ground tent. I don't find it ideal to set-up and teardown for a 1-night stay when we're on the move.

I'd like a solution that is quicker to deploy and teardown, and easier to deal with when wet. Beyond just regular camping and short adventures, we make the occasional trip out to WY to visit family. Those trips are more about making miles quick, so I want to spend as little time as possible dealing with set up after driving all day. Right now we hotel hop those trips.
I've considered several options, ranging from outfitting a full-size van to getting a sub 20ft camper. What I'm leaning toward currently is an Aliner type hard sided popup, and changing out the suspension or axle so I can get a bigger wheel under it and better clearance. But I'm not real excited about the idea of towing a trailer everywhere.
I hadn't thought about using 2 smaller RTT's but with the age of my kids, I'd prefer us all to be in the same space.
I've been keenly watching iKamper to see if they actually produce the Skycamp. https://www.ikamper.com/ It looks intriguing and competitively priced, considering its size, but I'm not sure it is the right answer. I'd have to adjust my thinking and planning for it to work for our cross country trips... and if it can't work for those I can't justify the price. Though, I would prefer it for our more local trips.

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but it has helped me think thru it typing this ramble out.

johnsoax

Adventurer
For our family of 6, we have moved from tents to a popup to a hybrid travel trailer.

The tents didn't work out well at all, as my wife was never a fan of them, and so for many years, we didn't camp. In 2009 I bought a huge popup camper from a co-worker (1996 Coleman Cheyenne) for $2k. In the next 5 years we took it out sporadically, but still didn't camp much as a family, but then we were having babies every two years or so. I still took the older boys out on scout trips with the tents.

In 2015, with our youngest now 3, I told my wife I wanted to take more adventures, and for spring break we scheduled and took a 3000 mile trip with the popup that stretched from Cincinnati to Kansas City, south to Dallas, then on to Waco and San Antonio and east to Lafayette LA, and then we headed north and home. We met up with a ton of friends on our trip and loved it. This, coupled with our yearly trip to Florida to a time share I inherited, taught us that we liked doing road trips as a family, but that we didn't like the 45 minutes to an hour of setup and tear down with the popup, and pulling a ton of stuff out onto a picnic bench during each one. Especially when we were also moving every day or every other day. Also, living out of a cooler for a week at a time wasn't the best either for 6 of us. More coolers would just take up more space. The popup didn't have a fridge, but a vertical icebox cooler that you had to set up the camper to get into, so we didn't even use it. We also lost the cover to the AC unit on the way from Dallas to Waco. Popup.jpgPopup setup.jpg

After that trip, we looked at a few travel trailers, just window shopping, and almost purchased one, but ultimately decided to just keep rolling with the popup. We were having some issues with the plastic exterior of the camper deteriorating, plus the floor really had some soft spots forming from leaks or just rot. I put a huge fiberglass patch on one corner due to the roofing cracking.

Father's day weekend that year, we took a 1000 mile trip to Washington DC. We had a great time, except when a storm rolled through and pounded the camper for about 6 hours. We stayed dry, but were stuck in the camper that whole time. There was a camper store near the camp ground, and after a day of exploring the DC mall and museums, we stopped and looked around and dreamed about what would work better for our family. I was really leaning towards a hybrid, as it was smaller, and we could park it in our driveway, and still gave us tents to sleep under. My wife wanted a bathroom, as during the pouring rain, it was very difficult to dash the 300 yards to the campground bathhouse. On the way home, we had a catastrophic tire failure. Thankfully I had a spare, and it only stopped us for about 25 minutes to change it, but it was the final straw..

We started looking at campers every weekend. And after about a month of looking, in July we decided to purchase a 2016 Jayco X23B hybrid. We've taken a few short trips (Indianapolis, Big Bone Lick State Park, two trips to Columbus) and we have taken three long trips (Disney Camp Wilderness, another DC trip, and one I will get to in a moment). We have found some issues, but overall, it works for us. We also upgraded my wife's vehicle to make towing better for all of us. We used to use my 2006 Land Rover LR3 for towing, and did use that for 3 of the small trips, and one of the large trips, but we sold our 2006 Odyssey minivan (spit) to some friends, and purchased a 2013 Dodge Durango. It gives us everything we need during the week, and a decent platform for highway miles and for towing the hybrid. IMG_6961.jpgDisney.jpg

We just got back from a 10 day, 2000 mile trip of the Carolina Coast this past weekend. We headed south on good Friday, and spent the night just west of Ashville, NC. Setup takes about 20 minutes, 30 if I really take my time. Saturday, we tore down and got on the road and headed for Charleston SC. Set up again, and had a relaxing dinner. After a huge breakfast we left camp Sunday morning and drove to Patriots Point and spent the day climbing on an Air Craft Carrier, Submarine, and a destroyer from WWII, and took a boat ride to Fort Sumter. The next day, we packed up and headed up the coast to New Burn, NC. We spent two nights there as well, and checked out the Governor's Palace (Tryon Palace), and the associated museum, and also just walked around downtown New Bern (also the birth place of Pepsi Cola). Packed up there and headed to the Outer Banks. Dropped the camper off, and drove the 50 miles round trip to see the Wright brothers monument. Would have liked to spend more time here, and really would have liked to have my Rover for that area with all the off road areas. Future trip maybe. Next we headed north towards Williamsburg VA. We had planned to just keep driving, but it took us 6 hours to get from the Outer Banks to Williamsburg, and we decided to just spend the night and explore there, and then head home the next day. Friday the 21st, I backed the camper into the driveway around 11PM.

Camper.jpgFort Sumter.jpgWright monument.jpg

Our definition of overlanding is a bit different than most of what you see on this site, but it works for us, and we actually get out and explore now.

Since that first big trip in 2015, we have visited 20 states. We have plans for at least 2 more this year, and possibly 6 more next year.State Map.jpg

MOguy

Explorer
For our family of 6, we have moved from tents to a popup to a hybrid travel trailer.

We started looking at campers every weekend. And after about a month of looking, in July we decided to purchase a 2016 Jayco X23B hybrid. We've taken a few short trips (Indianapolis, Big Bone Lick State Park, two trips to Columbus) and we have taken three long trips (Disney Camp Wilderness, another DC trip, and one I will get to in a moment). We have found some issues, but overall, it works for us. We also upgraded my wife's vehicle to make towing better for all of us. We used to use my 2006 Land Rover LR3 for towing, and did use that for 3 of the small trips, and one of the large trips, but we sold our 2006 Odyssey minivan (spit) to some friends, and purchased a 2013 Dodge Durango. It gives us everything we need during the week, and a decent platform for highway miles and for towing the hybrid. View attachment 397964View attachment 397959

We just got back from a 10 day, 2000 mile trip of the Carolina Coast this past weekend. We headed south on good Friday, and spent the night just west of Ashville, NC. Setup takes about 20 minutes, 30 if I really take my time. Saturday, we tore down and got on the road and headed for Charleston SC. Set up again, and had a relaxing dinner. After a huge breakfast we left camp Sunday morning and drove to Patriots Point and spent the day climbing on an Air Craft Carrier, Submarine, and a destroyer from WWII, and took a boat ride to Fort Sumter. The next day, we packed up and headed up the coast to New Burn, NC. We spent two nights there as well, and checked out the Governor's Palace (Tryon Palace), and the associated museum, and also just walked around downtown New Bern (also the birth place of Pepsi Cola). Packed up there and headed to the Outer Banks. Dropped the camper off, and drove the 50 miles round trip to see the Wright brothers monument. Would have liked to spend more time here, and really would have liked to have my Rover for that area with all the off road areas. Future trip maybe. Next we headed north towards Williamsburg VA. We had planned to just keep driving, but it took us 6 hours to get from the Outer Banks to Williamsburg, and we decided to just spend the night and explore there, and then head home the next day. Friday the 21st, I backed the camper into the driveway around 11PM.

View attachment 397958View attachment 397960View attachment 397963

Our definition of overlanding is a bit different than most of what you see on this site, but it works for us, and we actually get out and explore now.

Since that first big trip in 2015, we have visited 20 states. We have plans for at least 2 more this year, and possibly 6 more next year.View attachment 397961

I also bought a hybrid for "family" camping after tent camping and owning other smaller campers. My oldest and I like getting out and roughing it in the jeep and a tent but not my wife or youngest. The nice thing about a hybrid compared to other smaller campers is the beds are beds and don't have to be taken up and down a table or sofa all the time. with a hybrid, even a smaller one, you have a decent amount of room once you beds are folded out and out of the way. Ours is only 2400lbs and very easy to tow. The downside is it just isn't suited for typical "overlanding" that includes some element of off-roading. You do hear more noise through the tent ends than you would in a regular camper trailer.

Another nice thing about hybrids is you can fold out an end, unzip it and easily slide kayaks in.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Man I have gone though all this too (only three humans but 2 big *** dogs), we have done RV trailer, off road trailer, RTT, RTT with annex, ground tents. I find each type of trip and season has a best version.

Currently we use a RTT (annex is a huge PITA to set up, better than a kodiak tent, but still not fun and gets wet) Kids sleeps in the back seat, dogs go in the back, for quicker, weekend or two three day trips, summer less rainy times.

We have done RTT with annex when the kid was younger, her on a mini cot. With her old enough now she sleeps in the back seat fine.
Kid and dogs in annex
24806227845_1cdb913703_b.jpg

Current RTT set up. Yes breaking down camp every day, hence quicker trips.
27098857572_57d26fca01_b.jpg

Minimalist for backpacking, just a tarp and sleeping bags.
28525583853_91e83b9632_b.jpg

RV trailer, sucked gas down in a hurry, it was ~3200lbs IIRC, oh and dont get the trailer stuck!!! But great for winter and crappy weather camping.
24177837524_c2c508605b_b.jpg

Coleman ground tent, the instant tents are huge and do set up quick, might be an option to look into. We use this when boating in generally.
20260848915_236ca29e3f_b.jpg

Trailer, great for longer trips to keep the car from getting packed to the gills. We didnt do the RTT on the trailer as we take the boat half the time.
14563208783_898c830dea_b.jpg

Changed up the winter rig, MUCH better.
15681659978_0d99a369ac_b.jpg

So in wrap up I would say your going to need a couple different set ups for different conditions. Kodiak may work great for extended stays, sounds nice for a week at a CG for example, RTT for tougher trail when you dont want a trailer, they make double sized RTT's now too. Or maybe another pop up? Hi-lo makes hard sided ones!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior