The Re-designed 2014 Range Rover Sport

m3 bavaria

Adventurer
2007 Range Rovers in good shape with reasonable miles are worth $25k ish.

What is a 2007 Mercedes S550 or BMW 750iL worth?

Less. The Range Rover holds its value better than comparably priced luxury vehicles.

That is the result of two factors:

1) scarcity
2) lengthy model cycles

With burgeoning sales there will be a larger used population and prices will fall.

If the 2001 Range Rover looked very similar to the 2011 Range Rover where as BMW and Merc refresh every 5-7 years. When the car is visually dated, the price falls.

m3 bavaria

Adventurer
What if we go past the looks and analyze the hardware underneath?

The old Sport was HEAVY as hell, one of THE reasons I'm not into it, at all. The new one is 800+ lbs lighter, that's no small feat. Not only that, offroad ability, from clearance to water fording, actually improved. The new full size mode offers 12.6" of suspension travel in the back, that's more than some motocross bikes!

The old truck was 5800 lbs bone dry, and while its price has come down, it makes me wonder, what does it weight ready for expedition? 7000+ lbs? With the new truck, and hopefully the LR5 (or whatever it's called), you have have a fully loaded rig right around 6000 lbs, which is inline with most modern SUVs.

Oh, that's certainly impressive. Still, it does't overcome the Ford Exploreresque styling for me.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
That is the result of two factors:

1) scarcity
2) lengthy model cycles

With burgeoning sales there will be a larger used population and prices will fall.

If the 2001 Range Rover looked very similar to the 2011 Range Rover where as BMW and Merc refresh every 5-7 years. When the car is visually dated, the price falls.

Explain it however you want, it is still true. Knocking any Range Rover because it doesn't hold its value is a fallacy.

m3 bavaria

Adventurer
Explain it however you want, it is still true. Knocking any Range Rover because it doesn't hold its value is a fallacy.

I'm not "knocking" it. However, if you are simultaneously claiming that Range Rover sales are escalating while also claiming that the truck holds its value better than similarly priced cars, the two statements undermine one another.

The simple reality is that IF supply is going to increase, prices are going to fall.

Having said all that, if you buy a new luxury vehicle and are concerned about depreciation, you're nuts. My sole and only complaint with the new Range Rover is that they replaced a stunning design with one so ghastly that I'd never buy it.

oradba69

Observer
I'm not "knocking" it. However, if you are simultaneously claiming that Range Rover sales are escalating while also claiming that the truck holds its value better than similarly priced cars, the two statements undermine one another.

The simple reality is that IF supply is going to increase, prices are going to fall.

Having said all that, if you buy a new luxury vehicle and are concerned about depreciation, you're nuts. My sole and only complaint with the new Range Rover is that they replaced a stunning design with one so ghastly that I'd never buy it.

I have learned that car design is much like music. That immediate likeable hit grows dated very fast. Sometimes the tunes/cars that one is not too keen on initially grows on you.

Wnyrover

but it looks very nice and elegant for sure

I was at the NYC auto show the other day (first day open to public) - looks gorgeous. IMO, this is the best looker of the class. They had a set-up where you could wait in a short line to sit in the Chili colored one. Interior is great, beautiful leather. 2nd row back seat seemed very roomy to me (equal to or better than its competitors). They did not have third row set-up, but from pictures it would seem to make sense primarily for kids for short trips. If you need a roomier third row, you need to look at vehicles like Mercedes GL and its competitors. New RRS is going to be a great challenger to the Porsche Cayenne - another very nice vehicle.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
You need to drive the two back to back to understand. They are two totally different vehicles.

Look at it like BMW 5 series vs BMW 7 series.

stonepa

Observer

Ghastly? I saw a 2012 sitting next to the new RR at a dealer. Other than headlights, tail lights, and a little bit of detail they don't look much different from each other. That being said, I do like the new one quite a lot. Same with the new Sport. Wouldn't have ever considered one of the previous models.

stonepa

Observer
tell that solihill employees they are so right, only when car is under the warranty. its kinda funny, every new range rover model they come up with is called the best thing ever , but in the first 7 years they drop from 80 grand to 8, i wonder why. haha may be i am crazy , and cant read the #s right :)

Ooooo - find me a solid 2006 RR for $8k and I'll take it. None to be had.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
They look almost identical to me. Only a few cosmetic differences. Land Rover Explorer and Ford Sport. Disturbing and sad to me as well.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Almost identical is a bit of a stretch.

Lets not hold it against LR... Ford ripped the L405 plans off the drawing board when they sold LR to Tata a few years ago... nothing new there. Remember the Ford Flex?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles