The Rig Runner ...a 2010 E350 5.4 DIY Coil Conversion

jeepone

New member
Did you find the height of the 860's comparable to the 880s? The Quigley vans, especially of my era, are known for poor up travel. Putting the 880s coils on dramatically increased the travel but is just to firm for my liking. My van only weighs 7000#. I am looking for a coil that may give a little more lift but give a nice juicy ride that sucks up the forest roads and desert washboard.
 

Raul

Adventurer
860s is longer uninstalled but since it has a lower rate, it comes down to similar height than the 880s. I am pleased with them.
 
Last edited:

Raul

Adventurer
Once in 100 years that we have decent snow accumulation in Houston and I am re-building my front axle. U-joints were fried so I am replacing them, the ball joints, tie rod ends, tube seal, vacuum seals. I am also using aftermarket Superlift control arms to have more caster.

IMG_0337.jpg
 

RVflyfish

What comes next?
Sounds about right... the only time I have time for projects is when the weather is crap... and then I don't feel like doing them.

Jonathan
Such a relief to know I’m in good company. I always beat myself up about lagging during the winter.
 

Raul

Adventurer
Usually in my neck of the woods is the opposite. In Houston you do not want to do anything outside when it's 100+ degrees with 80% humidity. This white stuff coming from the skies is quite foreign in these lands.
 

another_mike

Adventurer
Usually in my neck of the woods is the opposite. In Houston you do not want to do anything outside when it's 100+ degrees with 80% humidity. This white stuff coming from the skies is quite foreign in these lands.
Same here, although there's no chance of snow in my area of Florida. I put off all the important projects I should be doing in the "winter" when its 70 degrees and little humidity. I procrastinate until its 100 outside and 80% humidity.
 
Sounds like you ditched the Zone and went with Superlift? Almost went that direction also. Pictures, pictures please.
After the thaw of course ;)
 

Raul

Adventurer
Well, it thaw out and finally I was able to finish it. Took it for a spin and I like it. everything feel tight and the extra caster is welcome. I put 0 degree adjusting bushings and the alignment seems OK. The ball joint now work at a better angle.
IMG_0375r.jpg
It looks like the new arms will give me a little bit better clearance when going over big rocks.

IMG_0368.jpg
Finally I replaced the inner tube seals.


IMG_0372.jpg
More clearance when rolling over things and independent caster adjustment.
IMG_0380.jpg
Caster cam in the middle of the adjustment




IMG_0377.jpg
Fresh U-joints and tie rod ends.


IMG_0382.jpg
Forgot to install the brake shields. By the time I realize it, the bearings and axle clip were installed. Hopefully I'll not miss them.
 

Raul

Adventurer
Alignment checked. I think I'll reduce the caster a little bit. My tie rod is bend so the shop was using this as an excuse for not being able to fine tune it. I'll install a new tie rod and take some caster out adjusting the cams on the arms. Then to re-align.



1615423331998.png

Took it for a spin. East Texas Overland Trail. Mostly dirt roads through the Hill Country with a few water crossings.


IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG



IMG_0450.JPG

My girl has a big butt, narrowly clear it.

IMG_0458.JPG


IMG_0461.JPG
 

Raul

Adventurer
New Tie Rod, new alignment. I also move the caster adjusting cam to the minimum. I guess 5.7 is the minimum caster I can get. I still want to raise the back maybe 1". Not sure what SAI values should I be looking for. It seems to ride very nice.



1615940046525.png


1615940088146.png

1615940154151.png
 

Raul

Adventurer
4x4 indicator installed. Not really a great need, but I like having it. It took me awhile to find the indicator. Here it's. I may help someone looking for something like this.


1616116520392.png

And now a PSA. Do not use aluminum tire valve caps. At least not the ones from Harbor freight. I went to check the pressure on the spare tire. The cap was fused to the stem, ended up breaking the stem and having to replace it. On the plus side, now I know how to do it if it ever happened on the trails. I was able to re-seat the bead with my 6 gal. compressor.

1616116725628.png
1616116770465.png
 
  • Like
Reactions: WVI
Top