The Rube Goldberg Machine Build - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

RubeGoldberg

Fast forward a few days, and the dealer replaced my oil pan. After that, I reinstalled the motor / engine oil pan skid plate with the new, redesigned brackets (which arrived 2 days after I placed the call to MetalCloak about the issue). I checked the clearances of both brackets this time and was relieved to see quite a bit more clearance afforded, while not sacrificing clearance for the driveshaft during articulation.

A few days after that, I had a check from MetalCloak in hand for the oil pan replacement.

I ended up getting some good use out of the RTT this summer, despite the trip setback.

Here's a little summer / fall photo recap....

i-54p2DgW-XL.jpg

i-LcMqnZV-XL.jpg

i-h95xRCj-XL.jpg

i-ZkLPt8j-XL.jpg

i-p2H7TFW-XL.jpg

i-BVmmzMQ-XL.jpg

i-cKxrZWR-XL.jpg

i-NhrcWxH-XL.jpg

i-Mv3qMhC-XL.jpg

i-3NzGJ5k-XL.jpg

i-TCHBcLH-XL.jpg

Out with my buddy @zigsrig and his boys. He's becoming quite the drone photographer :p

RubeGoldberg

We're almost caught up to present! Wow.

After the adventures of this summer, fall was upon us. But, before the Fall Equinox, we decided to send off summer properly - without doors!

We rode over Kingston Peak trail, starting in the mid-afternoon, to catch the sunset at ~12,000 feet. We descended into St. Marys / Alice in twilight / darkness and shot over to Blackhawk for dinner. Then, we turned around and came back over Kingston Peak in the dark, catching the stars under a clear night sky.

Before the trip pics, here's a look at the command center with my new Garmin InReach Explorer+ mounted (with power)

i-ZvXnvb9-XL.jpg

Those of you with eagle eyes will notice a very minor modification in the pictures below ;)

i-JBKp7zt-XL.jpg

i-zcnMz6C-XL.jpg

i-9shxX6S-XL.jpg

i-T4NrB3D-XL.jpg

i-jpPx27s-XL.jpg

i-Vtw9n3L-XL.jpg

i-HJTknDF-XL.jpg

A poor attempt at the Milky Way... I've nailed a few Milky Way shots in the past, but having the Jeep in the foreground and trying to light it added an additional layer of complexity that the larger group didn't have patience for :oops: On the camera screen, it looked like a solid capture, but the Jeep is out of focus. Try, try again.

ratled

Adventurer
[QUOTE="RubeGoldberg, post: 2552449, member: 138068"

i-Vtw9n3L-XL.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Looks like another faked moon landing picture! :)

RubeGoldberg

Alright... So, finally... to catch us up to present, and probably the last Jeep trip post until spring (spring is when I take my big annual trip and usually do some modifications).

I took a solo trip up to the famed Crystal Mill that sits right next to the (ghost?) town of Crystal to see the Aspens in blaze. The mill was built in 1892... and given how it's perched on a rocky outcropping, it's astonishing that it's still standing. People still live up there all year, so it's kind of hard to call it a ghost town, but it sure is a shadow of its former size. While up there, I met the property owner who's doing his best to keep the mill upright and out of the river, but it's hard to do as a single individual. You can make a donation to help preserve the mill in the town shop, which is open for business (I did just that), which allows you to walk down into the river (after signing a liability waiver). The property owner is trying to rejuvenate the little town and is fixing up some of the old historic cabins for AirBnB rentals, as well as allowing tent / vehicle camping on the property (also through AirBnb). He's also working on getting the old saloon opened back up, hopefully next summer.

Anyway, here's some pics!

i-LWXVjLp-XL.jpg

i-HXvpDTb-XL.jpg

i-rZqsKw5-XL.jpg

i-CkPdDC3-XL.jpg

i-wP8Fxdc-XL.jpg

i-mBkLrNT-XL.jpg

i-HVjTQ36-XL.jpg

i-Zb22zdx-XL.jpg

G0to60

Observer
Love the updates and the pictures. My wife has a 17' JKU that we are slowly building up to be an expedition rig so I love seeing what others are doing. Nice work!

RubeGoldberg

I have to admit this is probably the best build thread I have ever seen.

Well, gee, thanks! I appreciate the huge compliment.

I have to admit, there are some much more detailed build threads out there when it comes to taking pictures of the products before install, and the actual build / installation (or even fabrication) process... but I found that, when I do the work myself, I like to just not deal with taking pictures and focus on the wrenching. Certain things definitely deserve more detailed write-ups, and I’ve tried to balance that, but I definitely prefer to take photos of the finalized install (even those are pretty rushed photos / quick snapshots from my iPhone), and then get out and use the products and take pictures of the adventure.

There are a few more mods planned for the Jeep, including steering upgrades, axle upgrades, organizational / camping upgrades, but at this point it’s 95% complete*, and that’s assuming I don’t get a bug up m’******** at some point and trade it for a JLU.

*I’m lying, Jeep builds are never complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior