The search begins.....

jbob

Observer
Nice find! I've been a vw nut since high school. We bought my teenage son a naturally aspirated mk2 jetta diesel a couple of years ago, well before he got his learner's permit. It's been a great father-son project. We're doing a custom Holset turbo setup --just mounted a big intercooler behind the grill last weekend and hoping to finish sometime this summer.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

89s rule

Adventurer
Mechanic friend from church picked the van up yesterday. Hoping to get a few things done. Mainly the fuel leak, exhaust installed and doors aligned. Have a few more items on the wish list but will have to see how it goes.

I cleaned it out Tuesday afternoon and bolted the pass seat back together and into the van. I had pulled it trying to figure a way to put it on a swivel base. I think I have an idea of how I'm going to do that now.

89s rule

Adventurer
Been dragging my feet lately hoping to get rolling again by this summer.

Have a question for Chris at Ujoint or anyone else who may know. My van is a '95 so much of the drivetrain is similar to an OBS powerstroke truck. I found a '97 OBS PSD 4wd f250. Can I use the Trans and TC out of this truck for a Ujoint 4wd conversion? If so what else do I need to get from the truck, it's a parts truck. I know the axles are the wrong year for Chris's kit.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Been dragging my feet lately hoping to get rolling again by this summer.

Have a question for Chris at Ujoint or anyone else who may know. My van is a '95 so much of the drivetrain is similar to an OBS powerstroke truck. I found a '97 OBS PSD 4wd f250. Can I use the Trans and TC out of this truck for a Ujoint 4wd conversion? If so what else do I need to get from the truck, it's a parts truck. I know the axles are the wrong year for Chris's kit.

You CAN use those drivetrain parts but what is the condition? Need rebuild? Do you want to get them built and then swap at once to minimize down time? I usually recommend to have the existing transmission re done for the 4x4 conversion to minimize the chance of things being different.

89s rule

Adventurer
You CAN use those drivetrain parts but what is the condition? Need rebuild? Do you want to get them built and then swap at once to minimize down time? I usually recommend to have the existing transmission re done for the 4x4 conversion to minimize the chance of things being different.

Chris @ujoint ,
Thanks for the as always fast reply. I understand the condition concern. I am not convinced my current Trans doesn't need a rebuild. The short time I did have it on the road it acted funny at times shifting but I am not sure it wasn't a fueling issue since that seems to be the reason I haven't had it on the road.
Given that info I thought it may be a good time to do a rebuild and cut down time. The only way I'll be able to get a swap completed is trying to budget and shop around for the parts needed to go along with your Ujoint kit.
If I do pursue this Trans/TC should I get shifters and all if I can? Front DS ? Anything else? If so what's a good deal on these parts assuming I'm going to rebuild/refresh them?

I also found a diesel 7.3 box style ambulance part out with a rear mounted fuel tank. Will this mount up in my frame rails for extended range and/or replacement to avoid shortening my tank? Wonder about the fill location/setup.

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
All of our stuff is setup for the NV271 which that parts truck doesn't have so if you plan to use that generation (BW4406) t case you'll want to get the shifter parts too. You'll have to make a custom shifter rod too. Front shaft will have to be made longer too, get the core if you go the 4406 route.

The cab/chassis tanks won't bolt up to the regular frame.

89s rule

Adventurer
Been a long break, but I'm still here. Got all my fuel issues fixed and now having trans issues. Slipping in and out of gear and hard shifts. I cant swing $ for a $3K trans. Trying to make sure it is truly gone and not just a sensor as this trans was a ford reman, but not sure on mileage. We picked up a 2011 E350 RB 12 pass for the family 2 years ago and its been fairly good, I've debated several times selling off the '95 7.3 and making the 2011 more camper friendly with some transformable items. But the dream of a self built cargo still looms.

Also sold the Jetta after 417K miles it was totaled by a 80lb pit bull when I was doing ~ 65mph. Bought an '05 Passat Tdi wagon with a bad auto, hit a deer in it a month later and used the insurance $ and the Jetta $ to finance a 5spd from Poland swap into the Passat. It has been a journey, but its is a much more comfortable vehicle to DD and Stg 2 TDTuning and manual makes it a blast.
Found an original paint and patina '68 F100 as well, it will be along term project, but couldn't resist. Goal was to get it going in 2018 for 50 yr anniversary, now I'm thinking 2020.

We also moved, good as we now have tons of garage/shop space, bad in that now we have a project list a mile long. Currently working on a basement remodel and landscaping the front yard. Then there is finishing the goat fence, sprinkler system to install, etc.....

Last edited:

89s rule

Adventurer
Wife didn't knwo what to think going from a '99 4Runner on 35's to this.....

53757dd4e24a85451916091b5d045a42.jpg

Fixing a few issues with the BHW Tdi engine....
a23758135b03c9f608877e5a7077f854.jpg

Back on the road, needs a bath, but glad to have something fun and semi economical to drive. If you couldn't tell I also don't like driving what everyone else drives.
7df3b346967b5949635e9da12142b245.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89s rule

Adventurer
'68 F100
Crown Vic IFS, Explorer 8.8 rear (3.73 Posi), Cab floorpans replaced, frame blasted and coated, 360FE rebuilt, 3 on the tree...
Plans....
Get it running and driving, wash with CLR, matte clear or use linseed oil, 18/20 staggered rims, etc.....
be226cb0a58d720d840250c8f1a80aff.jpg

8413c5ad7bc5c2289d015f488f10cb5c.jpg

Mid to upper 30s mpg, close to 300 ft lbs, custom clutch and billet flywheel, but still less $ out of pocket than is believable.

f5ae433d5740dd87ed2f7adce3a6da56.jpg

Shop just before the new roof. You can see the '95 7.3 has found his place.

d66296d7381033160e3f6367b3a640d7.jpg

Last edited:

89s rule

Adventurer
Been forever. I still have the 7.3 EB. Just made a video about it and trying to decide what to do. It’s time to either build it or let someone else enjoy it. Watch the video and give me some feedback.

380e2539a18923fbf8e0fd3d0cc1a0ff.jpg

89s rule

Adventurer
I have decided to sell the 7.3 van to cover the cost of our 2011 van’s transmission.

Details:
1995 E350 EB 7.3 rust free Conversion van front seats, door panels, and unmounted bench. Swapped chrome bumpers As well.

4” Diamond Eye exhaust including DP, sounds great. GP and relay upgrade, new valve cover gaskets and wiring.
Battery relocated to frame rail with breaker and appropriate wiring. New lpop, water pump, vacuum pump, belts, turbo pedestal rebuild/deleted the flap, down pipes resealed. Also has a pillar pod with 3 gauges.

Needs:
Mechanical: Trans needs work, solenoid or rebuild at minimum. Fuel bowl is leaking again and very slight coolant leak at front of engine bay. Other: It was a work van, I’ve upgraded several things, but it is ready for a buildout of your liking. I have a parts conversion van that has a few items left that I’d be willing to work into the deal if your interested.

Asking $3750 I’m in Upstate, SC.

89s rule

Adventurer
I'd consider a trade for a nice bumper pull camper as well. Hate to see this go, but I'll just never get around to building it the way I want. 5 kids and other projects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles