The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Has the Tacoma worked out well for you in the long term? Would you choose the same platform if you could do it again? I'm thinking specifically of the payload rating of a Tacoma. I know they don't have the highest capacity, but it seems you have everything dialed.

I ask because we're thinking about getting a truck and camper by next spring. I'm leaning towards a heavy duty truck because of the payload issue, but then we're a family of four. Thoughts?

docdave

Aspiring overlander
My 2 cents.... if ya gotta drive the truck everyday, then some major compromises and careful attention to weight can allow you a pretty well equipped rig for truck camping, yet maintain good fuel economy. Hadley has done a very thorough job of detailing that here. For a family of 4, unless all-ya'll really spend a lot of time outside, cooking, pottying etc., you're going to be cramped. Especially if you are not tiny people. It's also really tough to stay under maximum payload...most people don't. Air bags, extra springs, and other add ons can keep you on the road, but I feel that you'd be safer and happier with more truck. Bigger brakes, bigger cab, more room for a real toilet/shower, trailer towing capacity, better weight distribution and more latitude towing.... that's what you get with a full size truck...the trade off more gas and harder to park. My stock truck gets 10 or 12 loaded, less in the mountains, more if I drive slower.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Hey I just noticed those "windjammers". How are those working out? What improvement do they make? I may have to follow your lead once more. I am planning on bolting a light bar onto the yakima bar though.

MYTACO

Adventurer
I loved CarHendge. Seriously thought about buying it when it was up for sale. Thankfully the city stepped in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I just got back from a few days away, so I will be working on answering the recent posts.

This overland vehicle thing is a disease. I definitely blame the DRD4-7R gene, (National Geographic article LINK)

I have embarked on a new overland travel build, it is minor for most people, but for me it is an exciting new adventure. It warrants its own thread, so when I have the time I will put that together. Don't worry, I will put in a link here it is up and going.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I am back. :) Both from my autumn travels, and from a hectic summer. I am looking forward to updating this thread and getting back to reading through all the great info that comes through the camper section of this forum.

I have spent the last couple days cleaning the camper, and in my mind at least, prepping the camper for the next set of travels.

One of the things that needed some attention was the 12v outlets I installed in the cabover. I went through two USB adaptors on this trip, the little pieces of junk. I have found that I need USB outlets, not normal 12v outlets up there. Mostly I charge phones or tablets while in bed, but even the lights I use up there (Goal Zero Fireflys) and the little fan I have are USB powered.

These are the outlets I had installed, Attwood Marine 12-Volt Power Outlet.
011862-ALL-OPEN_mn.jpg

What I think will work will be to take the cylander from a Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Charger Socket
14152532.jpg
and install it inside the bracket and cover of the Atwood unit.

This way I will have integrated USB outlets in the cabover outlets. Woot!

Lots more to come....

Here is a photo from this trip, showing the three red Rigid A series doing their thing, giving off some light for moving around camp while keeping things somewhat stealthy. This was out in Rabbit Valley near Fruita CO.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Has the Tacoma worked out well for you in the long term? Would you choose the same platform if you could do it again? I'm thinking specifically of the payload rating of a Tacoma. I know they don't have the highest capacity, but it seems you have everything dialed.

I ask because we're thinking about getting a truck and camper by next spring. I'm leaning towards a heavy duty truck because of the payload issue, but then we're a family of four. Thoughts?

I love my Tacoma.

More capacity would be nice. Wish we could get the Toyota 79 Series pickups, tons of capacity in a small footprint. (However they are very expensive.)

Sometimes more room inside the camper would be nice. I would like to dream of getting a Fuso with a camper. More room would be nice if living in the camper for more than a couple months at a time.

I think a family of four would be really tight in a truck camper. (In my camper two people and a small dog is plenty, still room to camp comfortably but no extra.)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Hey I just noticed those "windjammers". How are those working out? What improvement do they make? I may have to follow your lead once more. I am planning on bolting a light bar onto the yakima bar though.

Not sure how much they help. But I figure anything I can do to guide the wind up and over the leading face of the camper is a small help.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I love my Tacoma.

More capacity would be nice. Wish we could get the Toyota 79 Series pickups, tons of capacity in a small footprint. (However they are very expensive.)

Sometimes more room inside the camper would be nice. I would like to dream of getting a Fuso with a camper. More room would be nice if living in the camper for more than a couple months at a time.

A Fuso would be so cool but it wouldn't make it to all the spots our Tacoma's do. Most but not all.

camper101

Observer
Welcome home (or maybe it should be "I hope you get to head back out on the road soon"). Love me some Rabbit Valley... sounds like you were having a good time out there.

A question on your lifting struts: I hear conflicting answers about the internal lifting helpers. Do you think those help you lift the front, back, or both ends of the roof? And are you still happy with how you've got them set up?

I'm looking to get a little help lifting the roof but I'm hesitant to do the external lifts (the truck is on year round, in the winter, etc, and I really only need the lifting help in the winter when it snows. My understanding is the external struts might not like the ice and road chemicals).

Thank you.

Edited to add: and are you still using the metal rope(?) to pull the sides of the camper back in and prevent damage from the struts when the roof is down?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94