The tipping point

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
We needed to know and be able to prove for a particular certification.
Maximum legal is 60inches 1542mm - handy info for FG4x4 platform builds.

Attachments

• Full EXP and FX for CoG calc without tire change.PDF
    301.9 KB · Views: 77

simonsnork

Ha, I love it. No I didn't feel like we were anywhere close to tipping. But now from all the photos, I feel a lot better about how far I'm willing to go.
In regards to what transmission I have, it is the standard 5 speed. And no the transfer case is not divorced. But we can continue this on the other thread.

Simon

DzlToy

Explorer
Very nice to see hard numbers on a CoG test, Lance. I presume that was done in FEA and not on a tilt table?

Howard70

Adventurer
We needed to know and be able to prove for a particular certification.
Maximum legal is 60inches 1542mm - handy info for FG4x4 platform builds.
Hello Lance:

Thanks for providing these drawings! What are the numbers in front of the trucks?

Howard

MJCake1

Hello again,

We are now up in eastern Oregon roaming the high desert before I have to go back to work. As we drove down a beautiful rolling dirt road by Diamond Craters today, the road began to get a little side hilled. Now to give you some information about myself, I drove and lived in an old 404.1 for about eight years in my twenties. I have lumbered about and 4x4rd plenty. And I know what it is like to be a little sideways. Granted the unimog was so forgiving that I could do just about anything I tried, even if I had no idea what I was doing. But the thing never flipped. Don't worry neither has the fuso. But as we listed over and I watched the tilt meter go a little past 15 degrees my stomach started to tighten. I didn't think we were going to roll but I did wonder, how far is too far?
So my question to all of you with more time behind the three red diamonds than I is, how far will you take it? For that matter, does anyone have a good way to figure out the tipping point of their rig without putting it on it's side?

I have another thread I'm about to start asking about divorced overdrives in a fuso. So if this is to banal and pedestrian a topic, please hop over to my next one and chime in.

Thanks as always.View attachment 504522

Simon
I also saw in Scott Brady's article driving Earth Cruiser Fuso that roll #was around 28. I understand the seat cushion pucker factor is definitely an uneasy feeling. Makes me think of the time I walked off the roof backwards! ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94