The truth about most RV's.

motoboss

Bad Influence
RV buyers today go to Camping World to buy a RV (camper, trailer, motorhome). They take out a 20 year loan to purchase a RV that might last 5 years in normal 5-10 times of use a year because they can afford the monthly payment. They use their RV 10 times during the first year of ownership, 5 times during the second year of ownership, hardly at all during during the 3rd year of ownership and spend the next 5 years trying to save the EXTRA $1000's of dollars they need to pay down their UPSIDE 20 year RV loan so they can then SELL their RV.

After all that most RV buyers STILL get to enjoy the pleasure of writing a BIG CHECK to SELL that RV on top of everything else that went WRONG costing them lots of money, pain, time and agony all while trying to live the Camping Lifestyle Nightmare!

You would think that RV buyer's would have learned their lesson by now since most likely these same RV buyers have already done the same stupid schidt when they bought that Boat and ATV that they had to have!

It's too sad that most customers/consumers problems are self inflicted.
Totally agree. And Camping World! You never wanna open that bag of........

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER

Same for the industry as a whole.

The primary reason the industry is what it is, is because people put up with it.
If people would put their money where their mouth is, not only demanding change/quality but paying for it, it would be a considerably different industry.

UHAULER

Explorer
RV buyers today go to Camping World to buy a RV (camper, trailer, motorhome). They take out a 20 year loan to purchase a RV that might last 5 years in normal 5-10 times of use a year because they can afford the monthly payment. They use their RV 10 times during the first year of ownership, 5 times during the second year of ownership, hardly at all during during the 3rd year of ownership and spend the next 5 years trying to save the EXTRA $1000's of dollars they need to pay down their UPSIDE 20 year RV loan so they can then SELL their RV.

After all that most RV buyers STILL get to enjoy the pleasure of writing a BIG CHECK to SELL that RV on top of everything else that went WRONG costing them lots of money, pain, time and agony all while trying to live the Camping Lifestyle Nightmare!

You would think that RV buyer's would have learned their lesson by now since most likely these same RV buyers have already done the same stupid schidt when they bought that Boat and ATV that they had to have!

On the other side, you have the people buying $100,000- $300,000 rigs, use them 10 nights and then sell them. In California and most states you pay about 10% for tax and registration. That $200,000 rig is now $220,000 and a year later sells for $180,000. 10 nights camping for $40,000.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
IF the availability of easy credit was NOT AVAILABLE to RV customer's the RV industry as a whole would NOT EXIST.

Without the credit markets the RV industry would never sell the first unit!

Is that what's coming to the Overland community or is it already here?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
On the other side, you have the people buying $100,000- $300,000 rigs, use them 10 nights and then sell them. In California and most states you pay about 10% for tax and registration. That $200,000 rig is now $220,000 and a year later sells for $180,000. 10 nights camping for $40,000.

At the end of the day, you can't fix stupid.

Most people are just ignorant of the lifestyle they are jumping into, but some are just stupid.

But hey, it's their money. And it does provide for one heck of a used market for the (slightly) more frugal buyer.

jeepers29

Totally agree. And Camping World! You never wanna open that bag of........

Its not just camping world but all of the big dealers/manufacturers . Its almost like they all got together and decided sh%t on their customers. We have a teardrop made by a small company and the quality and service has been great., but they have to fight the advertising of all the big guys. Our next trailer will probably be from offered.

old_CWO

IF the availability of easy credit was NOT AVAILABLE to RV customer's the RV industry as a whole would NOT EXIST.

Without the credit markets the RV industry would never sell the first unit!

Is that what's coming to the Overland community or is it already here?

You have seen the price of rooftop tents I assume. Pretty sure more than a few of those are currently floating on Master Cards...

shade

You have seen the price of rooftop tents I assume. Pretty sure more than a few of those are currently floating on Master Cards...
Yep.

Scan the For Sale threads and shake your head. Nearly new trucks kitted out with all the mandatory overland swag, and very low mileage.

john61ct

Adventurer
Your "quote" left out the critical bits - was that intentional?

It is fine to use credit, for:

a business asset generating profits much higher each month than the monthly payment.

Or (maybe, in some circumstances only) your primary / only residence.

______
The next part:

Certainly do **not** use credit to buy:

something that depreciates and is an optional consumable you could survive without.

For **those**, only pay 100% cash up front

I do not know how I could write that more clearly.

Let’s see if I’m understanding this correctly.

If you don’t use a loan or pay cash for it up front, how are you purchasing it?

shade

Never buy anything on credit, unless it is a business asset generating profits much higher each month than the monthly payment.

Or (maybe, in some circumstances only) your primary / only residence.

Certainly not something that depreciates and is an optional consumable you could survive without.

For those pay 100% cash up front, or I'm sorry you're just an idiot and

that lifestyle will only work out well for you if you're very lucky, and all the stars keep aligning for you right up until the day you die.

Let’s see if I’m understanding this correctly.
1. Don’t buy on credit,
2. Don’t buy using cash,

Leaving what? Barter? Theft?

If you don’t use a loan or pay cash for it up front, how are you purchasing it??

I believe "For those" is referring to "something that depreciates and is an optional consumable you could survive without."

john61ct

Adventurer
Used vs new is besides the point.

Depends on your preference and budget.

As stated above I think buying something designed and made by others is poor value in this particular market.

Better IMO to start with a solid barebones platform and do the buildout yourself, or hire known-good tradesmen to help.

But none of that has to do with the main point here, which is if you can't pay cash up front for a recreational toy, then you can't actually afford it, and you should work hard and save until you can.

Or more likely, ******** happens, you have to shelve that fantasy, but at least you stay above water in the more important parts of life.

john61ct

Adventurer
Now, if you're heading out for years of full-timing vanlife, ditch the rental home or mortgage, so this is your only residence,

and you have a solid income stream that will continue while you travel

and the payments are less than your housing nut used to be,

that **maybe** justifies say a five-year loan after putting down 30-50% cash.

Maybe.

Reactions: WVI

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
When was suggested or implied buy stuff ”brand new” ?

No, no, no...just dealing with a long day, tired old eyes, basically dealing with a sleep deprivation form of drunk texting.......so apologies.

I simply misread the post, and thought wrongly that he was saying:

“For those WHO pay 100% cash up front, I'm sorry you're just an idiot!”

Hence my (self caused as it turns out) confusion.

Last edited:

ottsville

Observer
The supply side of the market exists because the demand side exists. There's money to be made putting out a low quality product because people will buy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles