The Ultimate Awning-shelter?

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Before purchasing my land rover D1 a year ago I lived with my wife for several years in a 1984 Westfalia and had a Fiamma F45i awning on it. It was the best money spent ever, it really extended our living space out beyond the sliding door and sitting area. It dispatched quickly and was used daily. Back then we would camp out on a surf break in Mexico for several weeks at a time without moving and having 80 sq. ft. of shelter was great. Now in preparing to do the same kind of trips out of our land rover D1 we come to the same question, how to extend our living space to make it more comfortable in hot weather on the beach, also to cook, socialize and drink under!!
Has anyone used the MSR OutfitterWing shelter, they are 200 sq. ft. free standing for $238.00 at amazon.com? Fiamma does have the Fiamma F35Pro, but is only 6 ft x 6 ft. and I think this is just way too small.
Any comments welcome, but none of that cheap home made rigged awning talk!!! I want something dependable and functional and don't mind spending $350.00.

Cheers,

Ben Edmonson
www.benedmonson.com

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
We have the F35pro on our rig and it works great for us 2.. or even up to 3-4 people if need be. Plenty large enough. Doesnt seem like it... but it works for us. Thing works perfect every single time and only takes 30 seconds to deploy. Quality is top notch too, but you already know that.

awningfk0.jpg

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
SOCALFJ said:
We have the F35pro on our rig and it works great for up to 3-4 people. Plenty large enough. Doesnt seem like it... but it works for us. Thing works perfect every single time and only takes 30 seconds to deploy. Quality is top notch too, but you already know that.

Giving Martyn a call to send one is still not out of the question, I have seen yours on-line and I like it, just wish it was a little larger!

Ben

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
benedmonson said:
Giving Martyn a call to send one is still not out of the question, I have seen yours on-line and I like it, just wish it was a little larger!

Ben
The problem with longer.. is that you have to have a place to mount it too. You have a 8 foot long awning you need to mount that puppy. Thats why the F35 works out good.. cause most rigs can handle a 6 footer. Although i did see a 7 or 8 footer mounted on a 100 series that stuck forward in thin air like 2 feet. Looked weird though. Like it would rip off.

Ask him about the eezi awn one too... it might be a tad longer.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Ben,

What about one of these tents that attach to the back of the SUV?

please let me know if you find anything. I am in the same dilemna. I want something to extend the living space of our TroopCarrier.

The problem with some of these external tent/shelters is that it uses a lot of space when you carry it, and also the time it takes to set it up.

But it's a good alternative for sure.

By the way, I love your website. I hope one day to have the chance to update mine...

bye

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I have the Moss Outfitters Wing

http://www.toughriverstuff.com/shelter/outfitterwing.htm

It looks similar to the MSR Outfitters Wing with the same 200 sg ft coverage area. I don't know how the MRS quality compares but I really enjoyed my Moss Wing and I have used it in some nasty weather with great results. I would not want to break it down and move everyday but if you are staying in one camp for awhile, they are great.

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
FWIW: We have a Kelty Deluxe Carport and it works really well. One nice feature of it is being able to have the outer corners up on included aluminum poles or down at the ground for more weather protection as needed. It is relatively quick to set-up, takes up about 8"x8"x20" in it's stuff sack and easily/quickly attaches to a vehicle's roof rack...or Maggiolina in our case.

We have the Fiamma 35 on our Horizon trailer. It works great however I wish it was about 1' wider, longer and had the vestibule/enclosure Fiamma offers for their longer awnings...that'd make us happy!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Snow Peak makes some great stuff so I'm sure these are good quality too. If you go the tarp route, I highly recommend a wing shaped design over the traditional rectangle. They shed the wind a lot better and a 7 point wing design gives you several set up options depending on the weather conditions.

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
spressomon said:
FWIW: We have a Kelty Deluxe Carport and it works really well. One nice feature of it is being able to have the outer corners up on included aluminum poles or down at the ground for more weather protection as needed. It is relatively quick to set-up, takes up about 8"x8"x20" in it's stuff sack and easily/quickly attaches to a vehicle's roof rack...or Maggiolina in our case.

Ditto on the Kelty Carport. The Deluxe Large model covers 113 square feet. The outer corners can either be anchored to the ground (for more wind protection), or raised on poles (for more standing room). I use two, one extending from the back and the other from the side of my Campa trailer. Sierra Trading Post often has them for great prices. (Right now, all they have is the medium size, for $60, compared to $200-$250 list.)

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Thanks for all the great input! I'm thinking now of ordering the Fiamma Pro35 and bolt it to my rack for days when we are moving quickly and ordering the MSR Outfitterwing for times when we are staying put on one surf break for the week. Now to think about it I will have my own little village when they're both erected!!!!!!!!

Ben

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Ben

We also have the Eezi Awn 2 meter awning, retail $600.00

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier