The ultimate cargo slide/tray?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The title of this thread is a question, not a statement :).

I'm looking to build a cargo slide/tray system that can grow in capability as needs evolve. Initially maybe just for a cooler, but over time more cargo, a fridge, maybe some secure storage, maybe a cargo platform above the sliding parts... not sure yet how advanced I'll want to get.

I'm aware of at least three systems that are on currently on the market:

Frontrunner:

Frontrunner1-400_zps1da6f20c.jpg

AT Overland Equipment:

Adventure1_zps745c47f2.jpg

ARB:

ARB1-400_zps2ec1df66.jpg

First question: for those of you who have one of the systems above, how has it worked out for you? What are your favorite features? What additional features or changes do you wish it had?

Next question: are there any others on the market I've missed?

I've got friends at an RV fabrication company, and they currently build slides for RV fridges and under-floor storage for big RVs, so I think I can get whatever slide size/design/features I come up with built pretty easily, which that leads to the final question:

If you were to design the ultimate cargo slide/tray system, what features it have?

I've read through the recent thread on cargo area storage mods, and there are a lot of good ideas in there, but I'm starting this thread specifically about slides because I can get custom slides made up if necessary.

rubicon91

Explorer
Oh boy I am subscribing to this. Cannot wait to see the remarks and what you come up with. Again don't hesitate to reach out if you need any measurements. I don't know if you need any recap from our conversation. Very excited to see!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Oh boy I am subscribing to this. Cannot wait to see the remarks and what you come up with. Again don't hesitate to reach out if you need any measurements. I don't know if you need any recap from our conversation. Very excited to see!

Donny,
Our conversation and the benefits of your research and experience gave me some insights into this subject I hadn't really thought of before - very helpful! I'm hoping to benefit from the combined experience and brainpower of the folks here on the forum and do a "group sourced" design that really could be the ultimate solution.
jeff

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Although I have zero to contribute... I am in on this thread :) fascinating stuff people are coming up with and I can see this headed that route...

Septu

Explorer
Although I have zero to contribute... I am in on this thread :) fascinating stuff people are coming up with and I can see this headed that route...

Agreed. I wanted (and to an extent still want) some sort of cubby hole/false floor, while still having the option for a flat floor. I've seen the mods for this... not a big deal... I just haven't gotten around to doing it. With 2 trailers and few passengers, space is never really an issue (even when camping out of the jeep).

One of the things about a storage system (any system) is that everyone's needs/wants are different. My main requirements for mine are head room, and a flat floor (should I ever sleep in the jeep). While trying to balance that with storage space and access underneath.

About the only thing I really like that doesn't quite fit my requirements is the tray (Front Runner?) that sits maybe 4-5 inchs off the floor. However it only covers the rear. I have no real interest in cooking off the back of my jeep. The ease of access is nice (or appealing), but the idea of actually doing it seems odd, vs setting up on the table. But seeing how I plan to build a kitchen slid into my m416, it shouldn't be a huge issue off the back of the jeep. But for whatever reason it is. :confused:

alan

Explorer
The title of this thread is a question, not a statement :).

I'm looking to build a cargo slide/tray system that can grow in capability as needs evolve. Initially maybe just for a cooler, but over time more cargo, a fridge, maybe some secure storage, maybe a cargo platform above the sliding parts... not sure yet how advanced I'll want to get.

I'm aware of at least three systems that are on currently on the market:

Frontrunner:

Frontrunner1-400_zps1da6f20c.jpg

AT Overland Equipment:

Adventure1_zps745c47f2.jpg

ARB:

ARB1-400_zps2ec1df66.jpg

First question: for those of you who have one of the systems above, how has it worked out for you? What are your favorite features? What additional features or changes do you wish it had?

Next question: are there any others on the market I've missed?

I've got friends at an RV fabrication company, and they currently build slides for RV fridges and under-floor storage for big RVs, so I think I can get whatever slide size/design/features I come up with built pretty easily, which that leads to the final question:

If you were to design the ultimate cargo slide/tray system, what features it have?

I've read through the recent thread on cargo area storage mods, and there are a lot of good ideas in there, but I'm starting this thread specifically about slides because I can get custom slides made up if necessary.

These are the latest in Australia, drop slides.
http://www.msa4x4.com.au/products/drop-slide-ds60/
just be prepared to take out a personal loan.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...My main requirements for mine are head room, and a flat floor (should I ever sleep in the jeep). While trying to balance that with storage space and access underneath.

About the only thing I really like that doesn't quite fit my requirements is the tray (Front Runner?) that sits maybe 4-5 inches off the floor. However it only covers the rear...

I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to have sliding tray at floor level, and a fixed (or maybe sliding) tray just above fender level or maybe a little higher so a fridge or large cooler could fit on the lower slide. Also thinking the upper tray/slide should be adjustable in height, so the height could be optimized to the cargo in the lower slide.

When you say a flat floor, what exactly do you mean? How high would the floor be? Above cargo in the lower slide?

I'm also trying to decide if the lower slide should be the full width of the tailgate opening, or if it should be narrower allowing some cargo space to be put on the floor on the side of a narrower slide.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
These are the latest in Australia, drop slides.
http://www.msa4x4.com.au/products/drop-slide-ds60/
just be prepared to take out a personal loan.

That's an interesting mechanism, haven't seen anything like that yet. Seems like it would be somewhat specialized to mounting a fridge or something very similar in size though, I'm looking to do something that's a little more adaptable and general. Since I don't have a very specific set of gear I'm trying to accommodate, and my list of gear will change over time (and for each trip probably). I'm trying to come up with something a little more generic and configurable (like the adjustable height upper tray/slide I mentioned in the previous post).

No personal loans - I'm also trying to keep cost reasonable. The RV slides from the company I mentioned in the first post are less expensive than any of the commercial solutions I've seen for Jeeps, so by basing this on their slide design I think costs could be kept down. And if the ideas from this thread result in a useful design that people besides me are interested in, maybe I could them to make a few for forum members while they're making one for me...

14JKURX

Observer
Cargo

Truck Vault built one for a JKU. I think the original one was for AEV. I saw it in a Hog Hunting Magazine.

Mike

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Slides and drawers are cool for sure but I just built two shelves, one for the dog and one for two small tables, my potty-tent, & solar panels. The rest of the gear stows below the dog shelf in soft bags and below the back shelf in Costco bins. Flexible to suit the occasion.

That can be your take-away. Flexibility. You're going to be doing a variety of activities with the vehicle. Don't get married to just one choice of arrangement.

004_zps60b34282.jpg

013_zps579843ad.jpg

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Trekboxx (http://trekboxx.com) is apparently working on a jeep system. Their existing stuff looks really nice, I just don't know where they are in terms of product development and availability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
I too love the idea of a slide out of the back of my truck, but I'm not married to the idea of cooking there. I've used my tailgate for this and it works, but is not ideal. The design I toy with, would involve a slide that extends just past the end of the truck, and then rotates so that it is parallel to the back of the truck. This gives a convenient place to cook/whatever, but doesn't kill access to everything else. It would also move the stove (in my world) further from the opening. So if your tire/tailgate swings to the passenger side, this slide would come out of the driver's side, and then pivot on the driver's side so that it extends past the side of the truck.

To me that would be the ultimate slide/tray.

Ps, I have followed your build with the safari cab, and trailers, and pop tops, and may actually buy a jku, if somebody picks up that design. You do great work!

Mike and Myles

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Slides and drawers are cool for sure but I just built two shelves, one for the dog and one for two small tables, my potty-tent, & solar panels. The rest of the gear stows below the dog shelf in soft bags and below the back shelf in Costco bins. Flexible to suit the occasion.

That can be your take-away. Flexibility. You're going to be doing a variety of activities with the vehicle. Don't get married to just one choice of arrangement.

That's the thing I don't like about the products on the market today - not enough flexibility. I'm thinking of a modular system that you could configure for the occasion. The idea I'm working on has a base that quickly attaches to the cargo points in the back of the Jeep; the slide could be part of that base or easily attachable to the base, haven't decided on that yet. There would be multiple slide options available that would work with the base - perhaps a low tray, maybe a tray with higher sides, maybe an enclosed drawer system. Then there would be modular shelf supports that could quickly attach to the base and support a shelf that would sit above the slide components. The shelf supports would be adjustable so the shelf could be set at an appropriate height for the cargo on the slide below. It should also be possible to put a second slider/tray in the upper position. Everything should be quickly and easily removable so if I need to use the back of the Jeep to carry a single large item, I don't want the system to be so hard to remove that I can't use the Jeep for other things.

What I'm hoping to hear in this thread is the range of cargo people would like to carry in a system like this and how they'd use the system for trail, camping or expedition trips - that info will help me design a system that's as flexible as it can be.

Thanks everyone for all the input so far.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I too love the idea of a slide out of the back of my truck, but I'm not married to the idea of cooking there. I've used my tailgate for this and it works, but is not ideal. The design I toy with, would involve a slide that extends just past the end of the truck, and then rotates so that it is parallel to the back of the truck. This gives a convenient place to cook/whatever, but doesn't kill access to everything else. It would also move the stove (in my world) further from the opening. So if your tire/tailgate swings to the passenger side, this slide would come out of the driver's side, and then pivot on the driver's side so that it extends past the side of the truck.

To me that would be the ultimate slide/tray.

I'm not really a fan of cooking in the vehicle/on the back of the vehicle. I don't really want cooking smoke to infiltrate my headliner and upholstery. I do think putting a cooler or fridge on the slider is a great use of the space, and takes advantage of vehicle power, but I think I'd rather do cooking a little ways away from the Jeep. Maybe only a few feet, but placed so the smoke doesn't fill up the Jeep.

Ps, I have followed your build with the safari cab, and trailers, and pop tops, and may actually buy a jku, if somebody picks up that design. You do great work!

Mike and Myles

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the other projects. I don't know at this point where the JK Safari Cab project will end up, not sure if I'll want a company to bring it to market or if I'll just build one example for my own Jeep and then call it done. I am also thinking the slide/cargo system I'm working on now could have an expedition trailer use as well, so I'm keeping that in mind as I go through the design and prototyping phase.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke