The ultimate cheap: Duct Tape, let me count the ways...

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
We ended up with a funny collection of duct-tape-repair photos after our safari to Tanzania this summer - the vehicles supplied to us by one of our African contacts were, well, very well used. How many duct taped repairs/fixes can you find in these photos? hint: there are five. We used 2 rolls up in 1000 miles! [The forward-control is not ours, but I enjoyed seeing others using duct tape!]

Anyone else have duct tape stories or photos - that you'll admit to? (I can see Scott cringing - I'm sure he would have had proper spares!! :p )

ducttape1.jpg
ducttape2.jpg

ducttape3.jpg

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Funny thread! :victory:

Nothing says poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape....

pangaea

Adventurer
Not a vehicle repair, but I spotted this at SEMA last year. The girls were working at a booth for a company that made private label duct tape. From what they said, the outfits were made entirely from the stuff...

sema35.jpg

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
There are several duct tape websites with shirts, purses, backpacks, bookcovers, etc. I like that pic the best though. :clapsmile

Attachments

• IMGP4060.jpg
    IMGP4060.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 3
  • KIMG0256.jpg
    KIMG0256.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 2

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
OMG - you totally win the best-use-of-duct-tape photo prize, Nathan! Still laughing over it!! :exclaim: :xxrotflma

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
A LONG time ago I had a 1979 Suburban. It was two tone with dark grey up top and silver on the bottom half. After it started getting older the salt used on Chicago roads began to rust it out. We used bondo and the propper paint for a while but ultimately the lower pannels wre made of duct tape!! The color match was almost perfect.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Back when I was in high school I had an '81 audi 4000 diesel. I got in a wreck and being in high school couldn't afford collision rates in miami, so I was on my own to fix it. The frame was bent a bit, and the whole front clip was toast. I took it off and used duct tape to attach to of those big yellow brinkman flash lights to the frame rails. After about a month I got pulled over by a cop at night. I forgot to get out and turn them on. When I got out to turn on myhead lights the guy laughed so hard he couldn't bring himself to write me a ticket for anything. He just told me to get it fixed.

I never got a picture of it wish I had. I drove it like that for about a year then got enough $ to get a new clip and strighten the frame. You had to see it to do it justice it was funny.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
mountainpete said:

Some one has way to much time to write up how to make a wallet out of duct tape! It's funny though!

Oh, in H.S I had a Fiat Spyder, and it snowed and tore the covertable roof. I transfered it to the garage and made a duct tape top to repair the the top. Then the following year the lower window on my CJ-7 froze and broke out... once again duct tape to the rescue, until I had the money for the compete repair. I guess I was the epitome of whate trash in High School. Ha! I guess thats what you get when you buy a car for under $100 Takes a bit to save up for therepairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles