The Ultimate Electrical System

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I found the wording in this paragraph awkward.

"The main reason is, that when you get into high power designs, the size of things really matters. The batteries I’m using have a maximum discharge current, that is fuse and breaker limited to 200 amps at 48 volts, that’s equivalent to 800 amps at 12 volts. The size of wires, circuit breakers, fuses, and other components becomes prohibitive at these power levels."

You may want to make clear that the equivalency is 800 A @ 12 V is the same 9.6 kW of power as 200 A @ 48 V delivered to the inverter. Your point is that by designing around a higher voltage you can take advantage of the lower current when sizing components. You're not saying a fuse or breaker interrupt current is a function of voltage, e.g. a fuse sized for 800 A on a 12 V circuit doesn't open at 200 A at 48 V, it still opens at 800 A.

pdavitt

I found the wording in this paragraph awkward.

"The main reason is, that when you get into high power designs, the size of things really matters. The batteries I’m using have a maximum discharge current, that is fuse and breaker limited to 200 amps at 48 volts, that’s equivalent to 800 amps at 12 volts. The size of wires, circuit breakers, fuses, and other components becomes prohibitive at these power levels."

You may want to make clear that the equivalency is 800 A @ 12 V is the same 9.6 kW of power as 200 A @ 48 V delivered to the inverter. Your point is that by designing around a higher voltage you can take advantage of the lower current when sizing components. You're not saying a fuse or breaker interrupt current is a function of voltage, e.g. a fuse sized for 800 A on a 12 V circuit doesn't open at 200 A at 48 V, it still opens at 800 A.

Dave,

Thanks for your comment. I sometimes get too involved with "Techno" speech and forget that most of the time simpler is better.

Again Thanks,
Pat

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Thanks for your comment. I sometimes get too involved with "Techno" speech and forget that most of the time simpler is better.
I just had to read it twice is all. It may not be understood by all readers how OCPD ratings work.

pdavitt

I find those diagrams akward/cluttered. Alot of conductors needlessly drawn in full, such as negatives, neutrals and grounding.

<=50A 120V shorepower ? Odd to express it that way.

Verkstad,

Thanks for your comments.

The wiring diagrams are directed towards the physical wiring of the system, they are not an electrical schematic. I learned long ago to leave nothing to interpretation.
If you review the electrical schematic at the beginning of the article, it will give you a good idea of the electrical specifications of the system.

If you download the complete "Wire Legend" you will find that it contains all wires used in the system and their purpose. The wiring diagrams are built referencing the wire legend.

The mathematical notation "<=" means less than or equal to. So, all I am saying is that your shore power feed should be less than or equal to 50 Amps at 120 Volts.

Hope this helps,

Pat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne