bDSwrB4h.jpg

1SRMw9lh.jpg

oil pan cleaned and re-flattened
aLDmO5zh.jpg

good thing I measured the oil pickup... wayyyy off
UgNIYk0h.jpg

fits now
uxD5ID5h.jpg

I'm not sure on which filter adapter will work - but cleaned the other one just in case
zQwqkxzh.jpg

injection pump is on but one bolt down....
v3IDsUhh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
forgot to mention... the block is a '506' block. What does that mean? Navistar took over production of the 6.5 to continue supplying the motors to the US military (and others). They combined all of the 'updates' done over the years to make these a better motor. The block is cast with 506 in the side and that denotes it is the final itineration of this motor.... thus, this is an optimizer motor without spending optimizer prices. You could still buy these new in 2016 - and if you can find one, they retail for about 7k (your price may vary).... the only 'real' update to this motor is what the cool kids are doing... lowering the compression so it can take more boost. To do that, they replace the pistons, use different rods and a billet crank. That's a bridge too far for me, I want 250k mile reliability - and nothing that started with 150 hp and makes 700 hp now is ever reliable.... not even the vaunted LS.

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer
We start here.... last night I set the heads in place after running a thread cleaner through the threads on the block
c8SmVnLh.jpg

and install the Fluiddamper
kSAI52Lh.jpg

then install the injectors and pushrods
FrgT8S4h.jpg

and rocker arms
7eCfcmth.jpg

then flip it on its side to tack the oil pickup in place
yPe3tPth.jpg

z3Ut0wzh.jpg

then toss the oil pan on (not the same as what was on there before)
n8oTmYVh.jpg

still need to bolt the valve covers down, but starting to look like a complete motor
3B4zLaLh.jpg

then went down the rabbit hole to determine how important a damper on the output shaft on the transmission is to all things
3B4zLaLh.jpg

explanation.... the OEM equipment for manual is dual mass flywheel. The manufacturer of the flywheel suggests using a damper from the 1991 through 2000 Cadillac Suburban - but not if the flywheel is in a truck of more then 15,000 GCVW... it's $450... thinking it's pretty easy to pull the transfer case if there are harmonics... but according to the internet, leaving it out affects nothing.... we will see.... I have to pull the NP208 when I find a NP205 so if there are harmonics and they need to be solved, I'll solve it then....

superbuickguy

Explorer
sometimes it just floors me how little I can accomplish in 2 hours (my normal 'shop time')
tonight... I cleaned valve covers. Wait, you say, you cleaned them yesterday. Well sure, the scrap ones.... didn't know they'd be scrap until I took a wire wheel to get the silicone off.... not even someone else's fault...

so onto the 'new' (now clean) ones
XmTcaMvh.jpg

then started cleaning another and wondered... why is there a vent? was there a vent on the H1 motor...
5VOR795h.jpg

now it's 11 and I'm looking for that answer

yes, yes there was
OYrvqcrh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
time to pull the trans
but first, picture for posterity (and so I can remember where all the brackets go)
azC4rAE.jpg
1673846615348.gif
E6EAGVwh.jpg
1673846615445.gif
AgXHbAlh.jpg
1673846615545.gif

pulled the starter, this is the spendy version ....
P4KoHQGh.jpg
1673846615639.gif
just forgot one bolt and one cable... the cable was frayed so I don't feel bad hacking it
bmkHvUXh.jpg
1673846615732.gif
I win
akDH5ksh.jpg
1673846615832.gif

tomorrow, motor (I hope)
I45yoYNh.jpg
1673846615929.gif

this will make a good 'for sale' picture .... or maybe
I45yoYNh.jpg
1673846616034.gif
I'll play the theme song to Raiders of the Lost Ark where Harrison Ford is arguing the ark needs to be in a museum while it's put into a box then rolled back in a faceless warehouse...
T0p4p1dh.jpg
1673846616147.gif

superbuickguy

Explorer
time for the missed-wire-stress test, aka the 'how to do an Exxon Valdez for fun and profit'
3D2ASgEh.jpg

yep, have a perfectly good forklift behind me and I use this... and bend it more... no promises about whether or not I'll risk the new motor with the cherry picker
t8y1dc1h.jpg

look, greasy hole
ViiLd1Vh.jpg

more greasy holes
ahvWx9vh.jpg

I am going to scrap this, however, all the brackets and such will make life simpler on the new motor... so those come off. Also, I think it has a relatively new injection pump... score
xLS3iMTh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
so finally got the right seal for the oil filter adapter
md1Pgq2h.jpg

then decided not to use it.
VD1QKxgh.jpg

which is good since this was finger tight in the assembly - also, if you don't want to use the angle adapter, simply unthread the oil filter adapter and screw it into the block
gGyIexlh.jpg

so there will be lots of boring, remove, clean reinstall on the new motor... an overview
fun fact, tamper proof bolts on the timing tab... why, GM, why?
BwLBmHqh.jpg

in other news, the springs I ordered 3 months ago arrived
beHoIc1h.jpg

Ford F350 diesel van. they're dual rate - and cheap - like $70/pr cheap....

superbuickguy

Explorer
didn't get much of my stuff done today, got to fix the infamous Jeep JK oil cooler leak.... I don't like Jeeps but it also has 175,000 miles on it - which is pretty good for what it is.... but still, another day stolen by Jeep

I did get my intake hat....
i7kcwlMh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
more assembly
if anyone is interested in the difference between a 6.5 with PCM and a 6.5 without (the same as 6.2s)
oKzjUUWh.jpg

Ct3yWich.jpg

getting closer
1B1yV0bh.jpg

and a bit of an annoyance.... the new glow plug had messed up threads... thankfully I didn't force it, but ran my thread cleaner to test the head, then tested this .... it jammed...
LpkWgrVh.jpg

ah well.... still a ways to go, and this isn't the fun stuff, I need to finish the assembly then get to installing the turbo

superbuickguy

Explorer
oil cooler adapters... the 6.5 is bigger...
kN9Ve89h.jpg

the only downside is I bought new oil lines for the 86, not the 99 H1... no biggie, I'll AN them
I would love to know how they managed this - it's a rear, driver's seat captive nut....
SgeinvFh.jpg

and while we're at learnin' who thought that fence-wiring down the driver's seat was a good idea
4Ujgg2Uh.jpg

time to find out what lies beneath
kRPzqFrh.jpg

not bad
HbOoRPGh.jpg

xcHkwh3h.jpg

If you live on the east coast, look away.... it's terrible, terrible rust
9PxkZ2Vh.jpg

h9x2oKfh.jpg

I know, terrible (not really).. this is actually a very common problem with this generation of K5 Blazers
W2qStWah.jpg

but still, if you're on the east coast, this is what floors look like
baR1qykh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
The 6.2 in scrap form. I'll hang behind the shop in the scrap bin for a little bit but ultimately what you're seeing here is a new Kia.
Ue1qMioh.jpg

strangely the exhaust bolts came out without too much trouble... 200,000 mile motor but a 34,000 mile motor couldn't come apart
qnV0EsSh.jpg

uBpfXq3h.jpg

test fitting time again
2fZfqUph.jpg

vacuum pump fitted
2RXxVY7h.jpg

lots of little things to do, but this is the general idea
hyVDj9qh.jpg

Happiness is large turbos
FJ0yH7sh.jpg

7 months is what it takes to fill a shop 8x larger by volume
vzUFNNLh.jpg

Paul's Corvette is back for its BBC
0bCQpvSh.jpg

and for the record, I want to drive this to NWOR in June....

superbuickguy

Explorer
tonight's task - start with the spring perches
wyrZq8Gh.jpg

level and align
5CXNwJPh.jpg

love this measuring tool.... glad I bought when I did.... omg they're expensive now.... like 4x what I paid
hF4gDRJh.jpg

at least the idea
rDC8FiEh.jpg

some parts came in, such as the pillar gauge pods
ZuFPvO8h.jpg

egt gauge (so I can drill and tap the exhaust also the manifold bolts... early, even
HpOoVlCh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke