The watch (timepiece) thread

JamesDowning

Explorer
Darn it, you guys are giving me some expensive ideas. Must save all money to spend on the truck.... I've got a small collection going myself.

Daily driver is a Skagen. I love it's low profile and light weight (titanium).
Skagen-14426.jpg

The two trip watches are a Casio Pathfinder (the old version)
PRG50YT-1V.jpg

And a new Timex Expedition, black (of course) with a sturdy rubber band:
timex-expedition-e-instrument.jpg

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Another reason to wear a watch. My comfort and continued medical stability rely on precisely repeated times for the measurement of my blood sugar (same time every night/morning and 1.5hrs after each meal). I could rely on a cell phone, but even the best cell batteries are good for maybe a few days. It is also thoroughly impolite to pull a cell phone from your pocket in front of a client, much more so than to look at a watch.

I am a huge fan of Seiko 5's. No longer officially available in the US, they are easily found on the internet for under $100. The 21 jewel automatic movement loses about 5min a month, and you do have to wind it if you leave it off your wrist for more than a day and a half, but they are nominally more environmentally friendly than a battery watch and the sweep second hand just looks so much classier than my beater solar powered Citizen's clicky clicky (seen several pages back).

31J1DQpEUOL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

dclee

Observer
I've got an Omega Seamaster Pro. But it's trimmed in gold, a little too fancy for daily use (I have also banged it up diving, and during general use). I'm thinking of getting it polished, and then shelving it except for special occasions. I'm surprised to read about the problems reported here about Omegas, but maybe it's like all other forums, you only hear about the bad cases!

For daily use I'm looking at either another Seamaster automatic in plain stainless, or a Rolex Sub. The Subs seem to have very cheap (and light) bracelets, and the clasp mechanism seems inferior (especially for diving), but hey, it's got that Rolex crown on it! So I'm not sure which way to go. If Omegas are good enough for NASA (and James Bond), I may have to stay with them. I guess I need to look at a few more Subs and Seamasters side by side.

mrbishi

Adventurer
Here's my latest purchase (I took the following pics too :)

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean - I've taken off the original bracelet and replaced it with a Khaki Nato strap for something different.

Generally I'll wear this or my Casio Protrek PRG80

4039023808_a2d7c2a6ef.jpg

4036933063_c682f31a4a.jpg

Last edited:

Bad Voodoo

Unassuming Superhero
The Subs seem to have very cheap (and light) bracelets, and the clasp mechanism seems inferior (especially for diving)...

The Rolex Oyster bracelets are admittedly hollow but they are exceedingly strong, as are the clasps. I promise you, they've been proven to last a lifetime in some fairly harsh environments. ;)

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Just checking back in from my post two years ago. The Sub has been going strong for 19 years now. I'll get myself another Rolex for my 40th.

I did however make a deal with my father for his original Omega SpeedMaster (aka The Moon Watch). I am very excited about that one.

robert

Expedition Leader
FWIW, I, too, got a Timex Expedition, but for $25 a few years ago.
Takes a total beating and still runs fine.
Before that? Also a Times Expedition! Lasted for >10 years on a single battery (no kidding).
The band wore out but the watch still works (it sits in a drawer at home).
It was cheaper to get a new watch than a band.
They just can't be beat for the price.
And if you lose it, no biggie!

safari.gif

I'm wearing a Timex Expedition too. I bought it from Campmor in one of their Super saver sales or whatever they call them. $25 for mine with the metal band- it's got some brassing from sweat but it still works fine and it's on it's first battery too. I bought it in 2003 or 2004. I'm pretty hard on watches it seems and I hate to wear them so I never saw paying much for one. I did buy myself a nice Citizen when I came back from Iraq, but I ended up never wearing it so I sold it.

andyrad

Adventurer
My first sweet watch was a movado se, followed by a titanium t-touch. Then a Sector 600 (POS), a Maurice Lacroix, and now a GMT Master 2. It s an illness, like land rover. The Movado does not get much wear. The T-touch is indestructible and after 5 years still on its first battery. The Secto rlet me down and cannot be repaired. The Lacroix was easily magnetized but that can be fixed easy enough. The GMT is new to me and I still can't believe I own one. My favorite so far is the t-touch for toughness. I have many cousins and uncles with the same one and they love em too. Not cheap, but also not a Rolex, but for the price it's un-beatable

Attachments

• 00131_2LG.jpg
    00131_2LG.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Sector-12529.jpg
    Sector-12529.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 28
  • T33.7.888.92.jpg
    T33.7.888.92.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 29
  • vsegb.jpg
    vsegb.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 25
  • ML78.jpg
    ML78.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

d1sc0ver

Adventurer
Anything on my wrists, fingers or around my neck will drive me insane.

I just clip this on my belt loop and I can wear a watch w/o going bonkers:
72310_3.jpg

qayaq58

Observer
EXPEDITION/ADVENTURE TRAVEL: Casio Pathfinder
BUSINESS : Tag Heuer Series 2000
DAILY: ESQ
Sports: Nike Triax Swift Li

midessa7

Hi everyone, new here and I just noticed you were talking about watches. I think someone said it in an earlier post and thats when it really hit me that a watch is a mans diamond. I had a basic Citizen dive watch for about 15yrs and only about 3 real repairs in all. I finally had to retire it and sinse then have gone through a watch every year. I just picked up one of these from Suunto, we'll see how it holds up. Love the watches.

midessa7

Hope I posted this photo right.

Attachments

• 102493BLKYELLOW-2[1].jpg
    102493BLKYELLOW-2[1].jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 26

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz