The Woodsy Bit: Adventures of an '88 Phoenix

subterran

Adventurer
Hi goneagain,
No, I have not ordered them yet. I will certainly post if/when I do. My setup right now is quite functional, thus it's hard to justify the cost of a rollover. I very rarely use the sofa as a bed. When I do, I usually just endure the narrow width because it's definitely a PITA to unscrew the backrest, and move it into position. Anyway - sorry to not have an answer for you on this yet.

Thanks!

subterran

Adventurer
Paint Job!

Well, it's been a bit since I've posted. I'm still tinkering with the camper. My last upgrade was paint. The old eggshell and white paint was looking tired. I talked to some vinyl wrap guys, but they seemed to think that the woodgrain texture on the aluminum sides wouldn't be a good surface to stick to, and they were stoopid expensive. I started thinking that some of the Graffiti guys that paint awesome murals in my neighborhood might be able to do this proper. So I called up the best Graf writer around, and told him my vision. He was done in 24 hours, and I think it looks pretty good. He added a compass rose, with some topo lines:

Attachments

• IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2234.jpg
    IMG_2234.jpg
    610 KB · Views: 69

subterran

Adventurer
@ Rangerdogg: Thank you sir!

@ kerry: You know, I didnt ask about the paint. It's certainly enamel based from rattle-cans. It adhered very well. The artist actually has a gallery and shop where he builds custom cars. He gave me a lifetime warranty on the paint: "If it ever scratches or chips, bring it back and I'll fix it." That's another reason I went with a Grafitti Artist - they can fix any mistake or flaw in seconds. All in all, I think he did a great job, and I would absolutlely do it again. I paid him $500.00. The weather here has been freakishly warm this winter, like an unheard of 74F in January, the day it was painted, so that worked in my favor.

@ Redline: Thank you sir! I borrowed a bit of the design from whomever did the truck wraps for Expedition Overland. See here, POST #374:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...rland-2013-Tacoma-Build?p=1431346#post1431346

x-overland_wrap.JPG

bigskypylot

Explorer
@ Rangerdogg: Thank you sir!

@ kerry: You know, I didnt ask about the paint. It's certainly enamel based from rattle-cans. It adhered very well. The artist actually has a gallery and shop where he builds custom cars. He gave me a lifetime warranty on the paint: "If it ever scratches or chips, bring it back and I'll fix it." That's another reason I went with a Grafitti Artist - they can fix any mistake or flaw in seconds. All in all, I think he did a great job, and I would absolutlely do it again. I paid him $500.00. The weather here has been freakishly warm this winter, like an unheard of 74F in January, the day it was painted, so that worked in my favor.

@ Redline: Thank you sir! I borrowed a bit of the design from whomever did the truck wraps for Expedition Overland. See here, POST #374:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...rland-2013-Tacoma-Build?p=1431346#post1431346

View attachment 384728

SCS Wraps here in Bozeman. They do great work. Nice looking camper, really have enjoyed your thread!

LuckyDan

Adventurer
Nice write up as always. Graffiti Artist? I'm certain that qualifies for the January "thinking Outside the Box Award"!!!

subterran

Adventurer
Be careful what you ask for - I'm "wordy"!

Inside updates - hmmm. Well, I did upgrade the bed a while back. The old bed was only partially removable. Only the back half (the cabover part) was a removable cushion. The front half, part of which extends into the living space, was 'built in'. This was rough to manage, and makes the cushioned area underneath (the one in front of the cab-to cab window) unusable. It was supposed to fold up, but due to some PO shenanigans, it didn't fold. So, fixed all of that. I just cut some 3/4" plywood the same size as the former cushion, and piano-hinged that sucker on there. I also moved the existing folding legs over, and now it folds up, AND the whole mattress comes out. I got the new foam from these guys at the Foam Factory:

http://www.FoamByMail.com

new_bed.jpg

(I'll put a picture here later of the fold-up part..)

I didnt know what I was doing, so I called them up and asked for their suggestions. Really nice folks. They suggested a nice medium foam 2" base, and a softer 2" memory foam for the top. They also sew up custom covers so I had them make me one for the whole thing. Great improvement. No telling how old the original foam was, so good riddance. It also made that forward sofa usable, so I stowed a porta-potty under one of the front cushions. Another nice thing to have, when you need it! Sometimes nature calls at a bad place and moment, and she doesn't like to leave a message, LOL!

(I'll put a picture here later..)

Speaking of which, very shortly I will be replacing all of the seat cushions. New foam and new fabric. We had an incident over New Years Eve, camping at a friends place. The gang fried a Turkey, which was delicious, however, they left the oil vat sitting on the ground and forgot about it. My dog found it, and ate several pounds of solidified oil. He got sick, needless to say, so we put him in the camper to calm down (before we realized what made him sick.) Well folks - he puked up turkey grease all over the cushions. Good thing we hadn't already replaced them, right? We cleaned it up as well as we could, but you just can't get that stuff out. So yeah - replacing the cushions soon.

Also, later this summer I will probably tackle replacing the countertop. It's delaminating here and there and made of particleboard - so it's heavy and crappy - an award winning combination. I will either use corrugated lexan plastic sheet (extra light) or I will use road case style vinyl clad wood-and-aluminum extrusion (little heavier, but looks better, and still lighter by far than the existing counter) Whatever I do I will post photos.

I am also considering replacing the entire roof top, and while I'm at it, the vinyl soft sides. Already got the plans drawn up, and trying to find a local awning shop to weld up the 1" square-tube aluminum frame for me. That's a serious can of worms, but rest assured I'll post about that as it happens.

Last thing is just today I got in my new battery. I'm very exited about it actually. It's a LifePO4 12v 50AH. It weighs LESS THAN A THIRD of my existing battery - so I'm saying goodbye to about 30 extra pounds. Eventually I will get a second one, and parallel them into a 100 amp hour monster!

Why two batteries? Well, they are 'prohibitively' expensive, so it allows me to space out the purchase a bit. Another reason is that I can pull one battery out, and charge it either by solar or by shore power. What I mean is: the solar panels on the top of my rig are usually in the shade when were camping, so not doing much good. I carry a second solar panel and charge controller, so I can carry everything out into the direct sun and make some progress. We also camp regularly in a situation where generators are not allowed, and we don't have shore power we can plug into, but there is power in the shower house. So, in that case I can carry one battery up there and charge it while the other one is working. Each of these batteries weighs only 14 lbs. Amazing. I wish they were cheaper. Here's my battery if you're curious:
https://www.bioennopower.com/collec...s/products/12v-50ah-lfp-battery-abs-sealed-ws

Besides weight, the other advantage to LifePO4 batteries in usable amp hours. A regular lead acid battery of any variety (SLA, AGM or flooded) only allows you to use about 50% of it's rating, so if you have a 100 amp hour battery, it's only usable for about 50 amp hours. It's because they rate the battery's capacity all the way down to 0 volts. If you drain it down past 10 volts or so, it's not going to come back, or at least not too many times! This LifePo4 battery is about 90% efficient in amp hours, so you can use pretty much all 50AH, making this 50AH battery closely equivalent to a 90 amp hour lead acid battery, in terms of usable power. Anyway, it just got here today, so nothing to see here yet really. Once I have a few campouts on it, I will post more.

Good to hear from you, Mr. Marmot! And, thank you LuckyDan!

Last edited:

GI Pirate

Observer
Well, it's been a bit since I've posted. I'm still tinkering with the camper. My last upgrade was paint. The old eggshell and white paint was looking tired. I talked to some vinyl wrap guys, but they seemed to think that the woodgrain texture on the aluminum sides wouldn't be a good surface to stick to, and they were stoopid expensive. I started thinking that some of the Graffiti guys that paint awesome murals in my neighborhood might be able to do this proper. So I called up the best Graf writer around, and told him my vision. He was done in 24 hours, and I think it looks pretty good. He added a compass rose, with some topo lines:

You are inside my head... HAHA I swear I had the same idea. But well done on actually executing.

subterran

Adventurer
Here's a picture of us camping last weekend. Weirdest 'winter' ever in the southeast. Not looking forward to Tick and Chigger season this time!
camping in the pines.jpg

ajmaudio

Adventurer
North Carolina / East Tennesee Fall Leaves Camping 'Teaser'. Unfortunately, this is a poor year for leaf color. This series was taken on the eastern (Robbinsville, NC) end of the Cherohala Skyway. The Tellico River basin is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.
View attachment 193519View attachment 193520View attachment 193521View attachment 193522
And yes, that's a wee bit of snow here in October...

We camp out that way.... where is this place in the tellico basin you speak of?

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Be careful what you ask for - I'm "wordy"!

Inside updates - hmmm. Well, I did upgrade the bed a while back. The old bed was only partially removable. Only the back half (the cabover part) was a removable cushion. The front half, part of which extends into the living space, was 'built in'. This was rough to manage, and makes the cushioned area underneath (the one in front of the cab-to cab window) unusable. It was supposed to fold up, but due to some PO shenanigans, it didn't fold. So, fixed all of that. I just cut some 3/4" plywood the same size as the former cushion, and piano-hinged that sucker on there. I also moved the existing folding legs over, and now it folds up, AND the whole mattress comes out. I got the new foam from these guys at the Foam Factory:

http://www.FoamByMail.com

View attachment 388590

(I'll put a picture here later of the fold-up part..)

I didnt know what I was doing, so I called them up and asked for their suggestions. Really nice folks. They suggested a nice medium foam 2" base, and a softer 2" memory foam for the top. They also sew up custom covers so I had them make me one for the whole thing. Great improvement. No telling how old the original foam was, so good riddance. It also made that forward sofa usable, so I stowed a porta-potty under one of the front cushions. Another nice thing to have, when you need it! Sometimes nature calls at a bad place and moment, and she doesn't like to leave a message, LOL!

(I'll put a picture here later..)

Speaking of which, very shortly I will be replacing all of the seat cushions. New foam and new fabric. We had an incident over New Years Eve, camping at a friends place. The gang fried a Turkey, which was delicious, however, they left the oil vat sitting on the ground and forgot about it. My dog found it, and ate several pounds of solidified oil. He got sick, needless to say, so we put him in the camper to calm down (before we realized what made him sick.) Well folks - he puked up turkey grease all over the cushions. Good thing we hadn't already replaced them, right? We cleaned it up as well as we could, but you just can't get that stuff out. So yeah - replacing the cushions soon.

Also, later this summer I will probably tackle replacing the countertop. It's delaminating here and there and made of particleboard - so it's heavy and crappy - an award winning combination. I will either use corrugated lexan plastic sheet (extra light) or I will use road case style vinyl clad wood-and-aluminum extrusion (little heavier, but looks better, and still lighter by far than the existing counter) Whatever I do I will post photos.

I am also considering replacing the entire roof top, and while I'm at it, the vinyl soft sides. Already got the plans drawn up, and trying to find a local awning shop to weld up the 1" square-tube aluminum frame for me. That's a serious can of worms, but rest assured I'll post about that as it happens.

Last thing is just today I got in my new battery. I'm very exited about it actually. It's a LifePO4 12v 50AH. It weighs LESS THAN A THIRD of my existing battery - so I'm saying goodbye to about 30 extra pounds. Eventually I will get a second one, and parallel them into a 100 amp hour monster!

Why two batteries? Well, they are 'prohibitively' expensive, so it allows me to space out the purchase a bit. Another reason is that I can pull one battery out, and charge it either by solar or by shore power. What I mean is: the solar panels on the top of my rig are usually in the shade when were camping, so not doing much good. I carry a second solar panel and charge controller, so I can carry everything out into the direct sun and make some progress. We also camp regularly in a situation where generators are not allowed, and we don't have shore power we can plug into, but there is power in the shower house. So, in that case I can carry one battery up there and charge it while the other one is working. Each of these batteries weighs only 14 lbs. Amazing. I wish they were cheaper. Here's my battery if you're curious:
https://www.bioennopower.com/collec...s/products/12v-50ah-lfp-battery-abs-sealed-ws

Besides weight, the other advantage to LifePO4 batteries in usable amp hours. A regular lead acid battery of any variety (SLA, AGM or flooded) only allows you to use about 50% of it's rating, so if you have a 100 amp hour battery, it's only usable for about 50 amp hours. It's because they rate the battery's capacity all the way down to 0 volts. If you drain it down past 10 volts or so, it's not going to come back, or at least not too many times! This LifePo4 battery is about 90% efficient in amp hours, so you can use pretty much all 50AH, making this 50AH battery closely equivalent to a 90 amp hour lead acid battery, in terms of usable power. Anyway, it just got here today, so nothing to see here yet really. Once I have a few campouts on it, I will post more.

Good to hear from you, Mr. Marmot! And, thank you LuckyDan!

Jealous of your battery.... I wanted one but couldnt justify the cost. If we start traveling more I will thought... you also forgot one of the best benefits of this type of battery... they dont sulfate and die if you leave them in a state of partial discharge. The only down side is that you cannot charge them below freezing.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94