The word on Winches

UncleChris

Adventurer
So my ARB bumper for the Taco came last week. Word is that if you are going to put a winch on with it, you want to do it when you first put the bumper on.

So my question is how important do you think winches are?

After I put a winch on my XJ, my friends and I all got too busy to get out in the dirt. So basically the winch went unused.

I hope to get out way more often now that I have the Tacoma.

What are peoples thoughts on winches?

thanks

60seriesguy

Adventurer
If you can afford it, go for it. It's not *really* a requirement for expeditions, especially if you're travelling with others, but it's useful. I rarely used mine, although I have to say every time I did was pretty serious and we would have been SOL without it. If you like to travel alone in remote areas, then it becomes almost mandatory. I like electric winches, not a big fan of hydraulic or PTOs because if the engine is dead, then the winch is useless. I've seen a long pull of an electric winch that almost drained two batteries, but got the Hilux out of a river. Sold!

One thing you can do is buy used (they're always out there) and then refurbish it. If you find one with a kinked cable, even better, justification for rope! Clean all the contacts, service the motor/gears, replace any questionable solenoids, add some good quality rope and if it needs it, paint the housing and drum, and you're all set.

Westy

Adventurer
My take on winches versus say other upgrades is; if you are planning on really using your rig in the backcountry especially when traveling solo then its like having insurance while driving around the city.

I'd say lockers are a more important upgrade to get you through the trail, but on the other hand lockers will get you into MORE situations where you'll find you may need that winch.

I'd look into the Warn 8000-9000 series winches, depending on how much you want to spent. I use the M8000 on my truck and its plenty, never thought I'd use it as much as I have. I guess once you get one you tend to get more confidence :D

x2 on looking for a used winch. Electric would be my choice. I've seen some lightly used winches on Pirate4x4 occasionally. Scroll around the forums, Colorado4x4.org is another good place to check.

Scott Brady

Founder
Living in the Southwest, as winch is a little less of a priority (very little mud and river issues).

I use my winch mostly for road repair on fallen trees, etc. In almost all of these cases, we would not have been able to get through without the winch.

I use the M8000 exclusively (on the Jeep and Tacoma). Best overall performance for the price, and can be modified to weigh less than 50lbs.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
A winch is one of those things that you wish you had when you don't have one. I haven't used mine very much but there have been a couple of times when that was the only option. Plus if you ever wheel alone they can save you a long hike out.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
I will be the voice of someone who does not have a winch (yet) and say that I consider it to be a good investment....now if I only had the money to invest...

There are several times that I have been out wheeling solo and have purposely avoided obstacles, trails, etc, because I do not have a winch. Now seeing as how wheeling solo is kinda risky in the first place, I am probably better off for passing on said obstacles, but I would definitely love to have the extra insurance...

When I get ready to buy, I will probably either look at a 8k to 9k Warn or Superwinch.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Regarding the installation of a winch on a Tacoma...

Yes, it is MUCH easier to install the winch out of the bumper, however it can be done once it is installed. Simply remove 4 of the 6 mounting bolts, tip the bottom of the bumper out and slip the winch in through the bottom cover area (6 bolts to remove). Of course, remove two more bolts and you can have the bumper right back off... 1 hour tops, I wouldn't let it hold you back on installing the bumper w/o the winch right away.

:gunt:

UncleChris

Adventurer
Thanks for all the info.

I have a 2k5 Tacoma Doublecab with a shell, sliders, will have the arb etc......

From what everyone is saying here, I could probably get by with a M8000 but at some point the XD9000 could pay for itself in usefulness.

Scott Brady

Founder
IMHO, I would buy the M8000 and stick with it.

A winch is a tool that relys on mechanical advantage, so it you only have intermitent usage, a cheaper Warn is the way to go. You can always use a snatch block or two if the pull is really bad. That also allows you to connect back to the truck at another recovery point, reducing the stress on the bumper and associated brackets.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I don't think there is much of a "usefullness" factor between a 8000 and 9000 pound winch. It is more of a matter of sizing the winch for the vehicle and expected conditions. If you are in a full size rig down south where you are playing in mud holes, you are going to lean towards a larger winch than if you are in the west where you are more likely to be stuck in dry sand, or at the bottom of a hill that is a little too slick to climb. These latter instances are not going to require that much force, compared to a truck that is sunk up to the frame rails in some slop.

If a 9000 pound winch fits your needs better than a 8000, by all means go that route. But if the 8000 fits your needs, there is very little to be gained by spending the extra money on a 9000 pound winch. Assuming of course you are comparing 2 winches of comparable quality.

Westy

Adventurer
M8000 will have plenty of pulling power for your Tacoma. I would take the money saved from not buying a bigger winch and invest that into some winch rope, a good hook, snatch block and straps.

vanguard

Adventurer
I'll chime in even though I'm not an winch expert. I've done my research and I want a warn M8000. I've been casually looking in the used market on craigslist, ttora, and a few local forums for about 3 months. A few have popped up but they sold for about $500 used, which is too close to the new price in my opinion.

The best new price I've seen is $600 with free shipping but I wasn't able to hunt that down today. Here's a link for $630 with free shipping: http://www.clemson4wheel.com/product.asp?prodcode=WAR-20910&tier=3&catcode=130

I'd really like to find one for $450 or less in the used market but it seems I need to be prepared to wait. As a side note I've learned that the winch itself is only the tip of the iceburg. You can spend even more on the bumper and still have $100 - $550 worth of accessories to add. ($550 would include the black rat kit, new rope, and new battery)

I was talking to my brother, who is a very experienced wheeler about winches. For a while he thought, "Winches are cool but man, they are $800." Then he got his big K5 stuck on a trail and it took hours to get it free. Afterwards he told me, "You know, a winch is only $800." :shakin:

I hope this helps.

UncleChris

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
IMHO, I would buy the M8000 and stick with it.

A winch is a tool that relys on mechanical advantage, so it you only have intermitent usage, a cheaper Warn is the way to go. You can always use a snatch block or two if the pull is really bad. That also allows you to connect back to the truck at another recovery point, reducing the stress on the bumper and associated brackets.

Good point.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior