Things to know about a 2004 Tundra?

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
Those are good points Rick. I doubt I'd be keeping this truck more than a couple years unless it turned out to be an awesome truck. I think if I can get it for a slightly lower price than they're asking I'd be happy enough. I'm "down grading" from an unreliable, uncomfortable, poorly designed 2013 F150. Partly to be rid of the Ford and partly to get back on my feet again after the bottom fell out of my industry.

I figure if it checks out mechanically, I can get the truck for $12K out the door, Line-x the bed, and install an updated stereo I shouldn't have any problem either keeping the truck long term or selling it for nearly what I put into it in a year or two.

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
It's all a moot point now. LOL. The truck failed the AMVIC inspection and needs $6000 worth of work to it. No thanks. They do have a 2012 Tundra with the 4.6L V8 with 193,000km on it and it's around the same price. We're going to go look at that one. I know nothing about the 4.6L V8. I know the 5.7L drinks fuel but is reliable.

rickashay

Explorer
It's all a moot point now. LOL. The truck failed the AMVIC inspection and needs $6000 worth of work to it. No thanks. They do have a 2012 Tundra with the 4.6L V8 with 193,000km on it and it's around the same price. We're going to go look at that one. I know nothing about the 4.6L V8. I know the 5.7L drinks fuel but is reliable.

Yah oil in AB has hurt a lot of us! I'm still hanging in there but my wages sure aren't the same as they used to be.

The 4.6L is basically a more modern 4.7. If they took the good from the 4.7 and improved upon it, I can't imagine it being anything less than legendary. Good luck in your search!

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
Yah oil in AB has hurt a lot of us! I'm still hanging in there but my wages sure aren't the same as they used to be.

The 4.6L is basically a more modern 4.7. If they took the good from the 4.7 and improved upon it, I can't imagine it being anything less than legendary. Good luck in your search!

Late replying...sorry. LOL

I'm working, but it's bloody slow. Hence why I'm looking at a used vehicle and planning to offload my 2013 F150.

The 2012 Tundra was a bust too. I went and saw it on the day they brought it in, before it had been cleaned. Wow...that's about it. Thing was driven hard and put away wet. Covered in mud, outside AND in. It looked like whoever owned it simply didn't care about it. I've never seen an interior of a truck so muddy and dirty. It looked like they'd opened the doors, backed a quad into a mud puddle and done a burn out spraying the inside with mud. Then I'd guess a bunch of muddy guys hopped in and played musical chairs. LOL.

Same dealer now has a Sequoia on the lot. I'm gonna call the salesman tomorrow and see what the price is on that. I seem to remember reading here that people are pretty happy with theirs. I think it's basically an oversized 4Runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles