Thinking about a Sequoia

obchristo

Thanks again for all the replies. Seems like there are fewer 2005-2007 SR5s than LTDs. Is the only major mechanical difference the airbag option in the rear on the LTD? Was leaning toward an SR5 just for cloth seats vs leather, are there any other differences to consider?

My 05 SR5 has Leather and rear AC. What I like about the SR5 is the lack of airbag (I added Firestone Airbags) and lack of the rear wing (which interferes with long things on the roof) and the lack of the Nav/entertainment system. Besides Limiteds coming with 17 inch rims (my SR5 came with 16's and when I go to bigger calipers I will need to go with bigger rims) I actually cannot think of a good reason to get a Limited and would recommend avoiding them if possible.

billiebob

I don't see a Sequoia as a great catering or overlanding choice. The Sequoia is a luxury AWD great for the opera or family christmas dinner. And any choice should be high rated on Consumers Reports as a great used car buy.

GTV

Sequoia is not AWD, it is 4WD. It is also not nearly as luxurious as a Land Cruiser.
I could care less what Consumer Reports thinks.

etownnc

Curious to know more specifically what your problems with the Sequoia are for what I am looking for? Something big enough to maintain some utility - thought is for catering gear I can pull smoker/trailer and toss coolers/hot boxes in the back. There are also times that we cook overnight and being able to sleep in the truck would be a big help. We only do 30ish events a year so the rest of the time I'm looking for something that's comfortable for long trips, can do mild off-road and that I can toss a few dogs and gear in the back of with the 3rd row removed.

tennesseewj

Observer
Thanks again for all the replies. Seems like there are fewer 2005-2007 SR5s than LTDs. Is the only major mechanical difference the airbag option in the rear on the LTD? Was leaning toward an SR5 just for cloth seats vs leather, are there any other differences to consider?
Depending on your aesthetic preference, SR5s have chrome grilles and mirrors vs. the color matched Limited versions. (Disclaimer: this is true of all Tundras and I'm pretty sure it applies to Sequoias but I could be wrong).

I know it's minor, but I really hate the fake-chrome plastic trim BS that adorns oh-so-many vehicles these days.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nikkshepherd

Observer
I say go for it. Miss mine all of the time. It was perfectly capable in an almost stock form.

XVYKuOU.jpg

JRenna

I think a Sequoia is a perfect option for what you are describing. My 03 can holds all my gear, my trail companion (wet muddy dog), and has plenty of space to sleep in the back. With a mild lift and some Mt's, you can do a lot more than mild offroading....so definitely overlanding. I just got back from Turkey Bay at LBL this weekend and wheeled a bunch of the 52xx and 53xx trails ( for those familiar). Yeah it's no $40,000 Jeep Rubicon, but it can tow my 7x16 enlosed trailer as well as provide a fun, capable ride on the weekends.

etownnc

Think I found the Sequoia that I am looking for. SC vehicle with no rust, 4wd, 100k miles and the timing belt and water pump were just replaced.

The problem is it has a hideous set of wheels with brand new tires on it.... :rolleyes:

Two questions - for mild trail and offroad use does anybody have a wheel/tire combo that they would recommend? I've run BFG ATs on my other two trucks and been happy, but always open to suggestions. Would be trying to pair them with some simple matt/flat black wheels.

Second question - how can I find out exactly what BBS rims these are, and is my best bet for selling them FB Marketplace / Craigslist?

Thanks, I'm stoked!

Reactions: bkg

Kpack

Adventurer
Tire/wheel size will depend on what other plans you have....if you are lifting you can fit 33's with maybe some rubbing depending on your setup and alignment. Otherwise I believe 31" fit without an issue. Wheels with 4.5" backspacing will put the edge of the tire mostly flush with the fender flares. For tires I have used both Duratrac's and BFG KO2's, and have liked them both. I feel that the KO2's are better (smoother, more predictable) on the road, and the Duratrac's are maybe a bit better at offroad and snow traction (more aggressive, more siping).

etownnc

Tire/wheel size will depend on what other plans you have....if you are lifting you can fit 33's with maybe some rubbing depending on your setup and alignment. Otherwise I believe 31" fit without an issue. Wheels with 4.5" backspacing will put the edge of the tire mostly flush with the fender flares. For tires I have used both Duratrac's and BFG KO2's, and have liked them both. I feel that the KO2's are better (smoother, more predictable) on the road, and the Duratrac's are maybe a bit better at offroad and snow traction (more aggressive, more siping).

Thanks! I was curious if I could fit 32s pre lift and then sort the lift out in the near future. 33 would be absolutely as big as I would want.

Loubaru

Adventurer
I run metric 32s on stock suspension with 136k miles and dont have rubbing issues. Not sure if the DC Tundra and Sequoia have the same front end though...?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

etownnc

Scored a 2007 Sequoia with 100k miles last week. Excited to start upgrading it

The first item of business is figuring out how best to get rid of the BBS wheels and 265/50R20 tires that the previous owner was running ? so I can get some black wheels and all terrain tires asap!

etownnc

A little bump to this thread...

Ended up getting a 2007 Limited Sequoia with 100k on it, just had the timing belt/water pump etc. done. Really loving the truck and have started gathering things to transform it into a camping rig for us an the dogs.

Without knowing for sure - if the suspension has 100k on it, am I approaching the need for new shocks/springs? I don't want a crazy lift or anything, but would consider going for 1-1.5" when I need to swap them out.

Secondly, ONLY the rear 12v outlet in the hatch area is not working. I've tried all the other outlets and they work, and I've checked all of the fuses related to where those are (or where I think they are based off the fuse diagrams I can find online). Should I be looking at wiring? I figure if I have to do very much at all, I might as well run a larger gauge wire, a fuse box and a couple different outlet types.

Thanks for all the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles