This weekends project, 35" on a Quigley. (DIY Fender trimming)

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
I've been putting this off for a long time as I don't like bodywork. But I've had 2 tires separate in the last 2k miles so time has come for new ones.
Since I don't have a welder at the moment this is going to be a quick hack job until I move into a bigger garage next month. It'll all be hidden behind a bushwacker fender flare (that will also have to be modified), so I'm not too concerned about a bodge-job as only me and the rest of the internet will know..:)

I know I can fit a 35" tire with a silly offset wheel (5.5" BS) as that's what was on the van when I got it, but it severely limited the steering, my goal is a 35" tire at least 305 width and correct 4.5 BS wheel. I want 305 or above width tires as they are run at a lower PSI but rated the same for load.

First order of business, go get a 35x12.5x17 tire fitted on one wheel that I'll use to size everything up. Finding that size tire E rated and approved on a 8" rim was non-existent in any tire I wanted, so I settled for the next closest a 315x70x17 BFG AT Ko2, it works out to be the same width and 0.4" smaller in diameter.

Size it up against the 285/70/17 that's on the van at the moment.
IMG_0215-XL.jpg

Fitted and pointing forward, loads of room.
IMG_0228-L.jpg

Turn it a little, looks like a small problem to fix. But get it passed the fender and there is loads of room again.
IMG_0226-L.jpg

Pulled the fender off and work out how to do the first problem, the inner fender pinch weld. Quick cut in the pinch, then bend it over.
IMG_0232-L.jpg

IMG_0233-L.jpg

Doesn't look like it, but this is plenty of room for the tire to clear. (3" up travel, and allow the tire to move back a further 0.25" back)
IMG_0235-L.jpg

Well that's it for the moment, as it's raining so I came in to get dry.
IMG_0237-XL.jpg

Next update will be cutting the fender. I plan to cut and bend back the inside brace, then cut a few slits in the fender and bend it back. Not sure how that will go, but I don't want to simply cut the fender back and leave an edge, even if it is covered by the flare.

Last edited:

cjken

Explorer
This weekends project, 35" on a Quigley.

I've got a similar rim and tire combo on mine. I think my rims are 9" though.
The tires have been great.
I think you will be happy with setup

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
Marked out where I wanted the finish edge to be on both sides, then cut out the bracing that was going to be in the way
IMG_0240-L.jpg

Then bent part of the bracing over, and started making relief cuts in the fender and bending it over. At this point I really regret starting this without a welder, as I know the finishd product will look like crap and won't be very strong. But since I started I carried on.
IMG_0241-L.jpg

IMG_0243-L.jpg

Bolted back up for a first check
IMG_0244-L.jpg

It does and will actually miss on full articulation, but I'm not happy with the curve (or lack there of), so I'll be taking it off again and making one of the relief cuts a bit deeper. But I'm done for today.
(As you can see, the fender & door has previous damage from a de-laminated tire, I didn't make those dents today..:sombrero:
IMG_0246-L.jpg

IMG_0247-X2.jpg

Last edited:

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
I've got a similar rim and tire combo on mine. I think my rims are 9" though.
The tires have been great.
I think you will be happy with setup

I hope so, van drove so much nicer with the 305's that I had on previously, but turning was a pain due to the offset...:) I'd have preferred 8.5~9" width rims, but these are the ones I bought to run 285's last time round, so I'm using them for the moment. I want to move to a 18" rim in the future, but need to get sorted first.

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
A bit more trimming and cleaning up and both sides are done, and inner plastic tubs modified and back in. Still need to do the flairs, Plus i'll only be happy once I've come back with a welder & real paint and finished them off to a better quality. But they'll do for now. Flairs will have to wait until next weekend.
IMG_0250-L.jpg

IMG_0248-L.jpg

This is the old 285/70/17 with the trimmed fender.
IMG_0252-X2.jpg

Abitibi

Explorer
Looks really good. It's even hard to tell anything has been trimmed.

I've been trying to buy glass fenders for over a month but the company has horrible customers service so might have to go your route instead. ..

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Looks good! Good luck on the flares, we tried it on V4 and it was tough but I cut the fender more aggressively than you did.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

I've been trying to buy glass fenders for over a month but the company has horrible customers service so might have to go your route instead. ..

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I went through the ringer with them years ago. They shipped, no tracking, oh got returned because of damage, shipped again, no tracking, etc etc. My deadline was fast approaching so I said forget it just refund me. That didn't even happen, had to do a chargeback. Sad because the fenders would have looked great on V4!

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
Looks good! Good luck on the flares, we tried it on V4 and it was tough but I cut the fender more aggressively than you did.

Thanks, the rain stopped for a few hours and gave me time to have a quick stab at the flairs. My original idea was to cut a triangle out of the bottom then use heat to narrow thickness of the flair, and probably use a little braise to hold the gap together with some form of epoxy. I've tried plastic welding on these flairs previously when I cracked one and it didn't turn out well, so I know that's out.
Anyway after sizing it all up, I decided just to apply some heat to get it into position and it worked like a charm, I didn't cut / trim the fender flair.
IMG_0256-L.jpg

This is the old 33" tire.
IMG_0254-L.jpg

I didn't quite get the flair where is needed to be, and it wasn't going to go any further without hitting the door, so I've left it for the moment. If you get everything just perfect (slight turn and suspension 1/2" from bump stop) the 35" tire will hit the inside edge of the flair. So I'll be coming back to update this at some point, but I need to wait until I've got a welder handy.

Last edited:

thethePete

Explorer
Awesome work man. Looks fantastic. I like seeing tidy work like this, instead of just hacking it off and covering it with a flare. Looks like the bumper needs to be pushed ahead like a half inch to an inch. Or time for an offroad bumper ;)

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer

I've looked at those, but also heard others complain about that company so ruled them out.
It's just lucky photography that makes them look clean....:) Here is a better angle that really shows the cuts. But, once welded and shaped / painted correctly, you would never know.
IMG_0249-X1.jpg

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
Awesome work man. Looks fantastic. I like seeing tidy work like this, instead of just hacking it off and covering it with a flare. Looks like the bumper needs to be pushed ahead like a half inch to an inch. Or time for an offroad bumper ;)

Thanks, I don't like seeing a sharp fender edge even if it is covered up with a flair. I could never do that to anything I own, it would drive me crazy knowing it was there just hidden.
I did trim the plastic on the bumper, and I have a little re-positioning to do to it as it's sitting a little low. I may try spacing it out a tad, or if I need to I'll just cut it, as it's on the list of stuff to replace in the future.

cjken

Explorer
Really nice!
I did not have the patience, just took a hand grinder to mine. Did not bother to cover it up with a flair. I over did it since I was running 37's.. I could have been way less aggressive if I started with 35's
Will address some day. I have a second set of fenders it is just not high on the list right now.

Abitibi

Explorer
I went through the ringer with them years ago. They shipped, no tracking, oh got returned because of damage, shipped again, no tracking, etc etc. My deadline was fast approaching so I said forget it just refund me. That didn't even happen, had to do a chargeback. Sad because the fenders would have looked great on V4!
Good to know, thanks Chris.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
Well I went and got the other tires this weekend, ended up trimming a little more on the fenders and moving the drivers side running board back, plus moving the passenger side back as far as I could (before it would get in the way of the rear wheel, then trimming the front edge.

Here is the van before.
IMG_0173-L.jpg

And after
IMG_0276-XL.jpg

RIMG0326-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94